Author Topic: Thoughts on abortion, religion, and morality  (Read 45143 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on abortion, religion, and morality
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »

We can go back and forth for days but you're probably not going to be persuaded to hold like the other.

This pretty much sums up JS

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

This pretty much sums up JS
And the internet

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
I may be out of touch but I have a hard time believing that a significant percentage of unwanted pregnancies are because they didn't know about or couldn't get bc.  I prefer not to elaborate.

I don't know what to make of your suggestion to criminalize the men.  1) Who says he doesn't want the pregnancy?  Under current law, he doesn't have a say.  2) Why is he more responsible than her, barring instances of rape?
3) How could such a law be enforceable? He'll claim he wanted it at the time but now changed his mind.  Are you going to criminalize changing of mind?

Also, from a morality point of view, abortion is ok, but pregnancy is criminal?  Absurd.

I don't know what you mean by your last line but it's clear and it's been the stated goal of these laws to provoke a SCOTUS challenge to Roe.

You are out of touch. I'm not being facetious. How easy do you think it is for a 14 year old in backwater Alabama and has been preached to about abstinence only to get accurate information regarding her cycle, when she can actually get pregnant, how condoms prevent STD and STI and fully understand the ramifications. Or worry that the one pharmacist in town is going to tell her parents that she got birth control or condoms. It is not always easy.

As to criminalizing pregnancy - regardless of whether a man wants the pregnancy or not, if he impregnated a woman who doesn't want a pregnancy it would be an involuntary pregnancy kind of like involuntary manslaughter. Maybe a man who causes 2 unwanted pregnancies should be required to have a vasectomy? She is already held responsible by now being forced to carry the pregnancy. He should be equally responsible in some way no? That definitely includes financially but also in a meaningful legal way. I'm not really serious with thinking this, I just think men don't truly understand the scope of what is being forced on women here. It is way more invasive than forcing a vasectomy.

I also want to point out that rape is hard to prove but involuntary pregnancy is much easier to prove. I know aygart was being facetious but clearly condoms and rape being illegal isn't stopping the problem.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »
You are out of touch. I'm not being facetious. How easy do you think it is for a 14 year old in backwater Alabama and has been preached to about abstinence only to get accurate information regarding her cycle, when she can actually get pregnant, how condoms prevent STD and STI and fully understand the ramifications. Or worry that the one pharmacist in town is going to tell her parents that she got birth control or condoms. It is not always easy.

This 14 yr old girl who lives in Backwater Alabama , (who i  imagine is a minority of people affected by this law) has real problems if
she is worry that the one pharmacist in town is going to tell her parents that she got birth control or condoms.
and forgets that its the same Pharmacist in Backwater ,Alabama is also the dog catcher and the abortion guy.
Just saying.
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »

As to criminalizing pregnancy - regardless of whether a man wants the pregnancy or not, if he impregnated a woman who doesn't want a pregnancy it would be an involuntary pregnancy kind of like involuntary manslaughter. Maybe a man who causes 2 unwanted pregnancies should be required to have a vasectomy? She is already held responsible by now being forced to carry the pregnancy. He should be equally responsible in some way no? That definitely includes financially but also in a meaningful legal way. I'm not really serious with thinking this, I just think men don't truly understand the scope of what is being forced on women here. It is way more invasive than forcing a vasectomy.

I also want to point out that rape is hard to prove but involuntary pregnancy is much easier to prove. I know aygart was being facetious but clearly condoms and rape being illegal isn't stopping the problem.

Not sure why you think I was being facetious. That is literally what you were proposing.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »

and yet in the torah/mishna/gemara we see that:
- the punishment for damages that end a pregnancy isn't equivalent to murder.
- A child isn't considered a viable human being until 30 days out of the womb.

See Sanhedrin 57B and Rambam Melachim 9:4
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:47:03 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
Not sure why you think I was being facetious. That is literally what you were proposing.

You think condoms are the only form of birth control? Or that men don't slide them off right before? There is a lot of gray out in the world.

That actually isn't what I am proposing.  I think all men should have vasectomies and then there would be no abortions necessary!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »
You think condoms are the only form of birth control? Or that men don't slide them off right before? There is a lot of gray out in the world.

That actually isn't what I am proposing.  I think all men should have vasectomies and then there would be no abortions necessary!

Thanks for the clarification.  You are either completely insane or a troll.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  You are either completely insane or a troll.

Or being facetious ;-)

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
in this case this
You are a troll.
is the same as this
Or being facetious ;-)
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
in this case this is the same as this

I thought I made my position clear previously.

Abortions should be legal. Society should work on policies that reduce unwanted pregnancies AND increase social welfare/support to limit the abortions chosen for financial reasons. 

I also think it is very easy for men to think abortions should be banned because they have zero actual responsibility. I do think any legislation that limits women's rights for abortion should pin more rights to the men who impregnated women in some way.  So forcing vasectomies? Maybe facetious and slightly absurd but men 100% need to be more responsible for impregnating women.

[I do think a policy mandating that men who repeatedly impregnate women and then abandon their responsibilities should be forced to limit their reproduction in some way and I am not being facetious]

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »

So how about you explain what you mean by criminalizing causing an unintended pregnancy other that criminalizing rape?
So how about you explain exactly which forms of birth control you are proposing should be available over the counter other than the ones which already are?

You are writing in very vague terms which left the only interpretation almost to be the way I interpreted it. If you write in more than just vagaries then it can be discussed. If you just write criminalizing unintended pregnancies then it either means a case where it was consensual which leaves to question what the criminal act was or that it was non-consensual in which case it is already criminalized.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
So how about you explain what you mean by criminalizing causing an unintended pregnancy other that criminalizing rape?
So how about you explain exactly which forms of birth control you are proposing should be available over the counter other than the ones which already are?

You are writing in very vague terms which left the only interpretation almost to be the way I interpreted it. If you write in more than just vagaries then it can be discussed. If you just write criminalizing unintended pregnancies then it either means a case where it was consensual which leaves to question what the criminal act was or that it was non-consensual in which case it is already criminalized.

Criminalizing unwanted pregnancies means that any man who causes a woman a pregnancy she doesn't want should be legally responsible for more than just child support.  It should not be as harsh a crime as rape - maybe a misdemeanor.  Is there a reason you would oppose this? [I actually do have concerns about this too - every law has negative effects]

Read this about access/availability. There are ways to increase access and information for women and prevent unplanned pregnancies. You will never prevent all of them.  It is not a new article (2015): https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Health-Care-for-Underserved-Women/Access-to-Contraception?IsMobileSet=false

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »
Criminalizing unwanted pregnancies means that any man who causes a woman a pregnancy she doesn't want should be legally responsible for more than just child support.  It should not be as harsh a crime as rape - maybe a misdemeanor.  Is there a reason you would oppose this? [I actually do have concerns about this too - every law has negative effects]

Read this about access/availability. There are ways to increase access and information for women and prevent unplanned pregnancies. You will never prevent all of them.  It is not a new article (2015): https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Health-Care-for-Underserved-Women/Access-to-Contraception?IsMobileSet=false
What does that mean? Who decides?

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »

Why is he more responsible for the pregnancy than she is?

What if she tells him she wants it and then changes her mind?

What if they both want it and then both change their minds?  Will you criminalize the mind change?

Never mind negatives, your whole idea is incoherent.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »

Please explain your case of a mutually consensual act where the consequences are criminal for one of the two parties but not the other? Are we only discussing the person who slips off a condom? What about the woman who became pregnant without the man wanting it?

I don't necessarily oppose it. I simply have no clue what you are proposing.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
What does that mean? Who decides?

A woman would have to declare that she would abort her fetus but it is illegal so she is being forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy.

Why is he more responsible for the pregnancy than she is?

What if she tells him she wants it and then changes her mind?

What if they both want it and then both change their minds?  Will you criminalize the mind change?

Never mind negatives, your whole idea is incoherent.

A woman being forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy is already being forced into "being responsible" - it isn't like she can offer to transfer the pregnancy to a man. What is the repercussion for a man who impregnates a woman when she is forced to carry to term?

Please explain your case of a mutually consensual act where the consequences are criminal for one of the two parties but not the other? Are we only discussing the person who slips off a condom? What about the woman who became pregnant without the man wanting it?

I don't necessarily oppose it. I simply have no clue what you are proposing.

Intercourse itself isn't criminal, but impregnating a woman who doesn't want a pregnancy should be. A man would have to prove that in addition to taking necessary precautions, he discussed the potential pregnancy with a woman and that she understands she could get pregnant and cannot abort the child. A man should be responsible for his sperm at all times. Impregnating a woman who wants to be pregnant is not a crime. A woman who becomes pregnant even if a man doesn't want it is still the one who is carrying the child to term. She is already "being responsible" for the child.

I am open to any ideas that actually make men as responsible for unwanted pregnancies as women, when women cannot abort.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »
A woman would have to declare that she would abort her fetus but it is illegal so she is being forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy.

A woman being forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy is already being forced into "being responsible" - it isn't like she can offer to transfer the pregnancy to a man. What is the repercussion for a man who impregnates a woman when she is forced to carry to term?

Intercourse itself isn't criminal, but impregnating a woman who doesn't want a pregnancy should be. A man would have to prove that in addition to taking necessary precautions, he discussed the potential pregnancy with a woman and that she understands she could get pregnant and cannot abort the child. A man should be responsible for his sperm at all times. Impregnating a woman who wants to be pregnant is not a crime. A woman who becomes pregnant even if a man doesn't want it is still the one who is carrying the child to term. She is already "being responsible" for the child.

I am open to any ideas that actually make men as responsible for unwanted pregnancies as women, when women cannot abort.
What if she said she was on birth control so he didn't use a condom but then the birth control didn't work?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2019, 12:09:17 PM »
Sure, that won't be abused from day one.
I agreed above that child support from conception seems very reasonable to me.
This would be very difficult to prove.  What do you propose? They both sign affidavits prior to each and every encounter?

As above. But this is a major practical concern.

What if she said she was on birth control so he didn't use a condom but then the birth control didn't work?

How would you propose determining the facts in each case?

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »
Sure, that won't be abused from day one.I agreed above that child support from conception seems very reasonable to me.This would be very difficult to prove.  What do you propose? They both sign affidavits prior to each and every encounter?As above. But this is a major practical concern.
How would you propose determining the facts in each case?
lets say there were ta few encounters and the aforementioned affidavit was signed only once  . who does the burden of proof lie on to prove when when she got pregnant?