Author Topic: Thoughts on abortion, religion, and morality  (Read 45132 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Thoughts on abortion, religion, and morality
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Bedrest and losing your job is a very normal ramification of pregnancy. If you agree that pregnancy is a normal outcome of intercourse and should be assumed, so should a woman being unable to take care of herself or her own legal obligations.

Right now, a woman has 100% of the responsibility for the pregnancy and it is her choice how to handle the ramifications of it. If you remove her choice to handle the ramifications of it, then what else are you doing to help her?  Everyone above seems horrified at the idea of a man actually being responsible in some way (other than financially).

I was going to make a point about paternity testing in utero being dangerous via amniocentesis, but I just read about non-invasive prenatal paternity testing. Very interesting.
Throughout this entire thread your argument seems predicated on justice and evening the social score somehow. But life is not so simple. While we may have a duty and obligation to help those who are suffering and in need, that also extends to a fetus to some level, although there is certainly gray area as it relates to a full fledged human, equally as complex as other great moral questions.

Saying that abortion should be legal (it depends what you mean when you say you are for legalization, but blanket abortion allowance even includes killing and causing pain to viable fetuses) because it somehow gives a woman equal footing, and that a man cannot have an opinion because he does not have to live through it, is not valid logically or legally. No judge or legislator is required to live through the exact circumstances as those to whom the laws are applied, they need merely to reach a reasonable, logical, impartial, cerebral conclusion.

Women suffering is bad. Fetus killing is bad. Both of these statements can be true at once. Men can (should?) shoulder more of the burden of child bearing and rearing, despite the fact that biology dictates otherwise. That in no way condones using whatever means necessary to try to even the score.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
Interesting. I only saw people horrified at the idea of undefendable criminal culpability. Do you have any other way for him to take responsibility? SHould he do bedrest for her?

No, but he could be mandated to provide a certain number of community service hours to her based on her condition. An easier pregnancy with no bedrest - minimal. A harder pregnancy with full bedrest would require additional hours.

Throughout this entire thread your argument seems predicated on justice and evening the social score somehow. But life is not so simple. While we may have a duty and obligation to help those who are suffering and in need, that also extends to a fetus to some level, although there is certainly gray area as it relates to a full fledged human, equally as complex as other great moral questions.

Saying that abortion should be legal (it depends what you mean when you say you are for legalization, but blanket abortion allowance even includes killing and causing pain to viable fetuses) because it somehow gives a woman equal footing, and that a man cannot have an opinion because he does not have to live through it, is not valid logically or legally. No judge or legislator is required to live through the exact circumstances as those to whom the laws are applied, they need merely to reach a reasonable, logical, impartial, cerebral conclusion.

Women suffering is bad. Fetus killing is bad. Both of these statements can be true at once. Men can (should?) shoulder more of the burden of child bearing and rearing, despite the fact that biology dictates otherwise. That in no way condones using whatever means necessary to try to even the score.

While abortion is legal, it makes sense for a woman to take full responsibility for the pregnancy and have a man be responsible from the birth on because abortion is currently viewed as a woman's medical procedure based on her health/welfare etc. Once that option is taken from her, then a man should be responsible at an earlier point as it no longer is about her health anymore but now about the fetus and the fetus is half his responsibility.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
While abortion is legal, it makes sense for a woman to take full responsibility for the pregnancy and have a man be responsible from the birth on because abortion is currently viewed as a woman's medical procedure based on her health/welfare etc. Once that option is taken from her, then a man should be responsible at an earlier point as it no longer is about her health anymore but now about the fetus and the fetus is half his responsibility.
I think that's valid, you just have to come up with rational ways to make men responsible, making it criminal to have an unwanted pregnancy is just not a viable solution to the problem.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
No, but he could be mandated to provide a certain number of community service hours to her based on her condition. An easier pregnancy with no bedrest - minimal. A harder pregnancy with full bedrest would require additional hours.

I have a feeling that 95 % or more of women who are not in a meaningful relationship would turn down these community service hours. You are grasping at air to think of something that really makes very little sense.

Don't forget that she had the option to prevent the pregnancy unilaterally.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »
The idea that a law or two can address the natural inbalance in the consequences of sex is straight out of a dystopian sci-fi story.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2019, 11:41:54 PM »
I don't know if this messes with anyone's argument, or is irrelevant, but I dislike that in the current situation, a woman gets to "choose" unilaterally.  If the fetus's father wants the baby he has no legal way of stopping the mother from aborting it.
I presume he can negotiate with her to keep it, but he has no legal rights.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2019, 06:23:34 AM »
I don't know if this messes with anyone's argument, or is irrelevant, but I dislike that in the current situation, a woman gets to "choose" unilaterally.  If the fetus's father wants the baby he has no legal way of stopping the mother from aborting it.
I presume he can negotiate with her to keep it, but he has no legal rights.
I agree, if both people agreed to have sex then both people should have to sign off on the abortion (excluding cases where the mother's health is at risk.)
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »

I agree, if both people agreed to have sex then both people should have to sign off on the abortion (excluding cases where the mother's health is at risk.)
well is there a signed affidavit? ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:48:43 PM by gingyguy »
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
well is there a signed affidavit?
Yes, federal law should require signing affidavits before engaging in consensual sex.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
Yes, federal law should require signing affidavits before engaging in consensual sex.

We can give it a name. Maybe "marriage"? (And yes, I know marital rape is a thing)

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2019, 06:42:03 PM »
We can give it a name. Maybe "marriage"? (And yes, I know marital rape is a thing)
Just to be clear here, my previous post was tongue in cheek.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Just to be clear here, my previous post was tongue in cheek.

I know. But others had essentially suggested the same thing seriously up-thread

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
2. "A fetus isn't a baby": Well, that's right, a fetus isn't a baby. Just the same way a baby isn't a child and a child isn't a teenager and a teenager isn't an adult. They're all at different developmental stages. But ultimately, they are all human. It's a human fetus. In fact, if you can handle it- take a look at these first trimester images and tell me that this isn't a human.

3. The rape/incest case: As horrible and as tragic as these cases are, getting an abortion doesn't take away the rape. Furthermore, the unborn child isn't guilty of the crimes of his father. How can we justify taking someone's innocent life for a crime he didn't commit?

On the scientific front things seem clear. A fetus is it's own human being, with it's own distinct set of DNA.
But things get murkier- what do we say to those babies being born into poverty, into immature and even neglectful families, those born with conditions that will make their life a struggle? What about those babies who are simply unwanted? Are they better off dead?

Great conversation. Here is an additional $0.02.

I don't think the abortion question should be tied to the rape question, or the danger to the mother, as follows.

We have a law against murder, and against vigilantism. May a rape victim murder their assailant? No, but most states have diminished culpability for extreme emotional disturbance or other forms of distress. The victim's pain doesn't make the murder legal, but it recognizes that its hard to blame the victim completely.

What if the assailant posses a active threat to the victim? The victim can use a justification defense of self defense, which is a complete exception to the laws against murder. its not only an exception to murder, but a general defense to any and all crimes.

So the question of whether a viable fetus is a human life deserving of equal protection (lets talk about 9 months, and past due) shouldn't be tied to the questions of saving the mother's life or rape. If the mother's life is in danger, she can kill all of her children, even if they are 15 years old, or 50 years old. If the mother really hates her 2 year old toddler because the dad raped her and she kills the kid, its murder. But maybe you can understand the mother and give her less jail time. These questions have nothing to do with general question of where life starts.

Doctors, medical boards, governments, and rabbis need to determine when life ends (its not always an easy question) and when life begins. No one asks if a rapist's life ends earlier because he hate him. We develop objective formulas for when lives are over. (brain waves, heart beats, viability, or other formulas.) Doctors, medical boards, governments, and rabbis also need to determine when life begins, generally. "feelings" of who is a person, is not how we usually determine these types of questions.

Remember when some people didn't feel blacks were people for purposes of constitutional rights or murder laws? These questions should not be decided by personal feelings, but by the civilized society.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »
Great conversation. Here is an additional $0.02.

I don't think the abortion question should be tied to the rape question, or the danger to the mother, as follows.

We have a law against murder, and against vigilantism. May a rape victim murder their assailant? No, but most states have diminished culpability for extreme emotional disturbance or other forms of distress. The victim's pain doesn't make the murder legal, but it recognizes that its hard to blame the victim completely.

What if the assailant posses a active threat to the victim? The victim can use a justification defense of self defense, which is a complete exception to the laws against murder. its not only an exception to murder, but a general defense to any and all crimes.

So the question of whether a viable fetus is a human life deserving of equal protection (lets talk about 9 months, and past due) shouldn't be tied to the questions of saving the mother's life or rape. If the mother's life is in danger, she can kill all of her children, even if they are 15 years old, or 50 years old. If the mother really hates her 2 year old toddler because the dad raped her and she kills the kid, its murder. But maybe you can understand the mother and give her less jail time. These questions have nothing to do with general question of where life starts.

Doctors, medical boards, governments, and rabbis need to determine when life ends (its not always an easy question) and when life begins. No one asks if a rapist's life ends earlier because he hate him. We develop objective formulas for when lives are over. (brain waves, heart beats, viability, or other formulas.) Doctors, medical boards, governments, and rabbis also need to determine when life begins, generally. "feelings" of who is a person, is not how we usually determine these types of questions.

Remember when some people didn't feel blacks were people for purposes of constitutional rights or murder laws? These questions should not be decided by personal feelings, but by the civilized society.

Well said

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2019, 06:32:41 AM »
I think we can all agree, it is virtually impossible to make men "responsible" for the pregnancies they cause in just about any way. Which is why it is so important that this stay a woman's decision because it doesn't really affect men.

I want to also point out that many of you are horrified at the prospect of proving that the pregnancy he caused was discussed and that the woman acknowledged the risk of an unplanned pregnancy is basically what many victims of assault go through. It is very hard to prove rape and many people don't even report it.

A fetus is also different from a child because it is a parasite until viability. Once artificial wombs are a real thing and you can transplant fetuses from a woman into an aritificial womb, there is a much stronger argument for forcing a transplant.

There are many long term minor and major health risks from pregnancy even if they aren't life threatening. Every pregnancy comes with a risk of maternal death in addition to many lifelong health conditions that are often triggered or worsened by pregnancy. The health risks may not be immediately dangerous to life and health but that doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
I think we can all agree, it is virtually impossible to make men "responsible" for the pregnancies they cause in just about any way. Which is why it is so important that this stay a woman's decision because it doesn't really affect men.

I want to also point out that many of you are horrified at the prospect of proving that the pregnancy he caused was discussed and that the woman acknowledged the risk of an unplanned pregnancy is basically what many victims of assault go through. It is very hard to prove rape and many people don't even report it.

A fetus is also different from a child because it is a parasite until viability. Once artificial wombs are a real thing and you can transplant fetuses from a woman into an aritificial womb, there is a much stronger argument for forcing a transplant.

There are many long term minor and major health risks from pregnancy even if they aren't life threatening. Every pregnancy comes with a risk of maternal death in addition to many lifelong health conditions that are often triggered or worsened by pregnancy. The health risks may not be immediately dangerous to life and health but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Boom.  Explains a lot.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
Boom.  Explains a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean. Just because a fetus meets the definition of a parasite doesn't mean it can't be a loved and wanted fetus. Nor does it mean it doesn't have value. But it does mean that it depends on its host (AKA its mother) to provide all its nutrients at the expense to the mother. It is very different from a living child who can survive on its own. Nuance is very important in the discussion of abortions. If you assign a fetus the same rights as its mother you are essentially denying the mother her rights and you would never abort to save the life of the mother.

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. Just because a fetus meets the definition of a parasite doesn't mean it can't be a loved and wanted fetus. Nor does it mean it doesn't have value. But it does mean that it depends on its host (AKA its mother) to provide all its nutrients at the expense to the mother. It is very different from a living child who can survive on its own. Nuance is very important in the discussion of abortions. If you assign a fetus the same rights as its mother you are essentially denying the mother her rights and you would never abort to save the life of the mother.
just wondering if you have kids...
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
No one here has assigned the fetus the same rights as it's mother.  No one until now referred to it as a parasite.  That in my eyes is morally reprehensible and I doubt I can find much common ground with someone who thinks so.

Thought experiment.  A woman is stuck alone in the desert with her 10 day old baby.  She is the babies only source of sustenance,  only hope of survival.  She has enough food and water to make it out of the desert but carrying and feeding her baby will make her journey much much more difficult. Carrying her baby through the desert causes her intense pain.
Can she kill the baby?

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2019, 08:51:14 AM »
No one here has assigned the fetus the same rights as it's mother.  No one until now referred to it as a parasite.  That in my eyes is morally reprehensible and I doubt I can find much common ground with someone who thinks so.
+1

Thought experiment.  A woman is stuck alone in the desert with her 10 day old baby.  She is the babies only source of sustenance,  only hope of survival.  She has enough food and water to make it out of the desert but carrying and feeding her baby will make her journey much much more difficult. Carrying her baby through the desert causes her intense pain.
Can she kill the baby?

no need to go to such an extreme example. lets find a woman that cant afford to feed her baby  and working extra hours causes her much hardship. can she kill her baby?