Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 2638 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
My wife and I switched to a (mostly) whole foods plant based diet several months ago, not too dissimilar from what you've described...fish and chicken each once a week (eggs, maybe twice  a week and beef twice a month approximately) but the rest of our diet is whole grains, nuts, fruits, veggies and loads of legumes. The only added sugars for us now are in the form of honey, dates or pure maple syrup (all of which are used sparingly). We also started buying organic and free range responsibly farmed meats - more to avoid the hormones used to raise animals than anything but the ethical considerations is a definite bonus.

We also started exercising regularly, so I can't draw a conclusion that the diet plays a role but I haven't felt as good as I do in many years. Everything from energy to cognition to aches and pains improved.

It's the way to go!  Feeling good...feels so good :)

I changed my eating habits a bunch of years ago and I never felt terrible before -- but sometimes you don't realize how 'not good' you felt until you start feeling great all the time.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
Also Longevity has a strong genetic component; it tends to run in families even after factoring in lifestyle. Having a positive outlook, close relationships, religion, and being productive are also factors.
FTFY.

Biggest natural factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:11:48 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »
FTFY.

Biggest factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.

Till you get clogged arteries I'm sure.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
FTFY.

Biggest natural factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.
They say gd is a component to deciding lots of these things as well. Still important to stay healthy.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
They say gd is a the only real component to deciding lots of these things as well. Still important to stay healthy.
FTFY

Which is why I qualified my statement by writing "natural" factor (we know what the gematria of הטבע is).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:35:11 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
FTFY.

Actually recent thinking is that genetics plays an important role but not as large a factor as once thought. According to recent research it accounts for a minority of the factors that determine longevity, although healthy diet is less than 50% as well....

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
Actually recent thinking is that genetics plays an important role but not as large a factor as once thought. According to recent research it accounts for a minority of the factors that determine longevity, although healthy diet is less than 50% as well....

I guess recent thinking is that $$$ plays an important role. It definitely provides access to better healthcare with one less stress factor.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:52 PM »
FTFY

Which is why I qualified my statement by writing "natural" factor (we know what the gematria of הטבע is).

For you to bring God into a discussion about eating healthy is silly.

What part of Judaism talks about eating whatever you want, body be damned?

The rebbe placed enourmess emphasis on physical health.. along with emotional health. .

If genetics play a key, people owe it their kids to be healthy before they have them and be healthy by example after.

Anyways it's a crap shot in my opinion. I have family that dies lo aleinu from cancer in their 50's and 60's and family that live ad mea esrim bli ayin Hara living 94-103.

Anyways, it's both affecting how you feel now and long term health.

Online shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
For you to bring God into a discussion about eating healthy is silly.

What part of Judaism talks about eating whatever you want, body be damned?

The rebbe placed enourmess emphasis on physical health.. along with emotional health. .

If genetics play a key, people owe it their kids to be healthy before they have them and be healthy by example after.

Anyways it's a crap shot in my opinion. I have family that dies lo aleinu from cancer in their 50's and 60's and family that live ad mea esrim bli ayin Hara living 94-103.

Anyways, it's both affecting how you feel now and long term health.
Genetics have nothing to do with how healthy parents are by choice. A key principle in genetics is that you can't pass down an inherited trait.

Habits matter but that's nurture vs. Nature.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
This thinking that one has bad genetics so why eat healthy is silly.

All is in the hands of God but we must act b'derech hatevah.

I was reading the book on the father of Sol feiner of LA where many in his family died young, he had a relative who was very old and he asked him "how did you live so long" so he said he got a brocha from the sar shalom of belz to live long. So he travels to belz and See's Reb aharon (1937?) And he says to him you came just in time and blesses him with arichas yamim (he lived to 90s)

Anyways, I don't see why genetics would dictate how one lives. Healthy eating is critical short and long term.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
This thinking that one has bad genetics so why eat healthy is silly.

All is in the hands of God but we must act b'derech hatevah.

I was reading the book on the father of Sol feiner of LA where many in his family died young, he had a relative who was very old and he asked him "how did you live so long" so he said he got a brocha from the sar shalom of belz to live long. So he travels to belz and See's Reb aharon (1937?) And he says to him you came just in time and blesses him with arichas yamim (he lived to 90s)

Anyways, I don't see why genetics would dictate how one lives. Healthy eating is critical short and long term.
I think (most) (all) agree with everything mentioned, but just adding that genetics seems to play a role as well. This also seems to be part of the mehalech  hateva. Nobody condones unhealthy eating beshita, and I think all agree it's better to eat healthy. However (and this coming from someone without much knowledge of the subject), it seems that every few years contradictory studies come out, so there is only so much faith you can put into many diets. Granted, there are certain accepted things that have been known to be healthy/unhealthy for many years, but when it comes to other things, I can understand why others may not take it as seriously as you. (My personal feeling is that most things won't be too damaging if taken in moderation).

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:02 AM »
Back to the discussion of Mediterranean, I tried for a while to go with it but it was slightly tough. Maybe it's because I was trying to fancy recipes that required a lot of work and expensive ingredients. Nowadays I eat a ton of chicken, almost every night. Nothing too fancy, just some different spices on boneless chicken and some rice on the side.
Breakfast and lunch are tough for me since I don't meal prep. I REALLY need to get better at meal prep. Would be good if people can share some more simple ideas for lunches and breakfast.
BTW part of the Mediterranean diet is small portions. I think the idea is that you eat socially and slowly as well to feel fuller without requiring huge American portions.

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
You can buy organic/ free range but then blood spots are far more of a kashrus issue.
This explains SOOO much! I started buying free range eggs but I kept getting so much blood. I thought it was just the brand. Good to know this is a thing and not just me. IMHO it's horrible how animals are treated but that is for a different thread...

Offline Crunchy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
Not my opinion but once heard someone comment on this topic "I would Rather enjoy life and live fewer years than live a few more years and have a miserable life.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Not my opinion but once heard someone comment on this topic "I would Rather enjoy life and live fewer years than live a few more years and have a miserable life.
See what they say at the end....