Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 2639 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
That can take care of some of the menu. Salmon every day is expensive and can get repetitive. Grilled chicken can be healthier but there’s only so much you can eat of that as well. Are there any bean type of dishes etc that would have broad appeal?

There are dozens of kosher fish. In fact I find meat boring.. oh wow different cut.

Sole, snapper, corvina, bronzino are a few I ate this week

Your idea of beans tasting bad is because you're not prepping right. It's an investment to learn how etc.

Chummus can taste like crap or incredible too.

Broccoli, asparagus, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, green beans all are awesome, delicious and easy to make.

In years past, people did not eat this much red meat! The studies linking red meat to health issues is simply new because this meat consumption is new.

Further, animals these days like veggies contain way too many chemicals, we're not raised / grown right etc.

I killed my gut in my teens and 20's, I was raised very healthy. To us as kids, tradition soups with their msg was forbidden and we would sneak them lol

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
https://fox8.com/2019/06/05/white-meat-is-just-as-bad-for-you-as-red-beef-when-it-comes-to-your-cholesterol-level-study-says/

What now?

All in context and moderation. What's wrong with legumes? Adjuki beans, chicpeas (hummus, felafel) lentils, peas etc etc veggies, fruits, grain's.. more fish, just a little chicken and less meat.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
All in context and moderation. What's wrong with legumes? Adjuki beans, chicpeas (hummus, felafel) lentils, peas etc etc veggies, fruits, grain's.. more fish, just a little chicken and less meat.

Which is more or less what I've been saying all along (though if cutting down on meat might be really hard for me, as it's rather rare - no pun intended - that I have any).

Though I'm not so sure about Brussels Sprouts, it's considered infested with no reliable way to clean, other than totally breaking them apart.
-- Dan

Online cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Which is more or less what I've been saying all along (though if cutting down on meat might be really hard for me, as it's rather rare - no pun intended - that I have any).

Though I'm not so sure about Brussels Sprouts, it's considered infested with no reliable way to clean, other than totally breaking them apart.
Try bodek brussel sprouts. They are excellent roasted.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
Try bodek brussel sprouts. They are excellent roasted.
I wasn't aware those existed. How do they do it? From what I have seen on vegetable checking guides from various Kashrus agencies, none had an approved/reliable method for Brussel Sprouts.
-- Dan

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
I wasn't aware those existed. How do they do it? From what I have seen on vegetable checking guides from various Kashrus agencies, none had an approved/reliable method for Brussel Sprouts.
It's impossible to check Brussels sprouts. I believe they grow them bug free
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2019, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/amp/ncna1011051

Buettner contests that diet is responsible for “maybe only 25 percent” of the longevity picture in Sardinia. “People tend to go down this rabbit hole that diet is everything, but it’s really a small part of the big picture.”
-- Dan

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2019, 12:29:12 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/amp/ncna1011051

Apparently part of the secret to longevity is skimpy swimwear. Thanks for sharing.  Click at your own risk.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:04 AM »

Right, physical activity is critical but also they eat 0 processed foods, lots of wine.

The qty of red meat is debatable but none of these people eat processed anything.

“The food is beans, greens and whole grains,” says Buettner. “They also eat a lot of bread and cheese, mostly Pecorino and food from their garden.”

You missed that

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:38 AM »
Apparently part of the secret to longevity is skimpy swimwear. Thanks for sharing.  Click at your own risk.

Sorry!

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »
Right, physical activity is critical but also they eat 0 processed foods, lots of wine.

The qty of red meat is debatable but none of these people eat processed anything.

“The food is beans, greens and whole grains,” says Buettner. “They also eat a lot of bread and cheese, mostly Pecorino and food from their garden.”

You missed that

Here’s the full quote:
“Piras shares that where grew up, in Barbagia, Sardinia in the 1960s and seventies, homemade pasta was heavy on the menu, as was meat — (lamb and pork, namely).

“In my area especially, meat is a major part of the diet,” says Piras. “The specialities are suckling pig, lamb, and some beef. Most of the vegetables would be limited to just very basic radishes, fennel and celery. Depending on the season, you also have a lot of wild asparagus which has a very intense flavor — not like what you find in the U.S — as well as asparagus, mushrooms and chard.”

All this pork (though Piras asserts that suckling pig is more of an “occasion” dish) and wine consumption (no matter its organic and local profile) has me wondering how these people live so long! Buettner contests that diet is responsible for “maybe only 25 percent” of the longevity picture in Sardinia. “People tend to go down this rabbit hole that diet is everything, but it’s really a small part of the big picture.””

Keep in mind that it the people from that era that are now hitting 100.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2019, 01:31:16 AM »
The greens that they eat are very healthy. The pasta is homemade as per article.

The meat isn't processed. So that's one critical point.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:36 AM »

You missed that

What makes you think I missed it? After everything is said about the diet, he says that he only attributes 25% of the secret of their longevity to it. Not that I think there's anything scientific to it, but since you were the one bringing the article in the context of extolling the merits of the Mediterranean diet, I thought the quote is worthy of pointing out.

But after all, you seem to insist on “go[ing] down this rabbit hole that diet is everything," while "it’s really a small part of the big picture.”
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:13:05 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan