Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 13779 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
"ethical reasons" WTH?
Not sure why that warranted such a response.

But yes, I just have concerns of how animals get treated and it leaves me with a bad feeling to be part of that.

I still eat meat, chicken, eggs etc   Just something I'm conscience of that effects my personal eating habits.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »

But yes, I just have concerns of how animals get treated and it leaves me with a bad feeling to be part of that.

I still eat meat, chicken, eggs etc   Just something I'm conscience of that effects my personal eating habits.

Eggs are probably the worst from an ethical perspective in the US. Most egg producers in the US literally starve the birds for weeks to bump up egg production, killing some birds in the process, and subjecting the rest to what some would call a torturous existence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_molting

You can buy organic/ free range but then blood spots are far more of a kashrus issue.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:41:22 AM by cmey »

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 08:40:25 AM »
Eggs are probably the worst from an ethical perspective in the US. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_molting

You can buy organic/ free range but then blood spots are far more of a kashrus issue.

I buy local eggs from farmers. But yes, its pricier and I do have more eggs with issues.

They also generally taste SO MUCH BETTER.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »
Yeah part of the unhealthy aspect of red meat is also how the animals are raised.

But I don't think the modern western diet is healthy at all.

https://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2017/04/enter-blue-zone/#gs.cij054

All the research shows that more plants and less meat helps you live longer.

Rice and beans are great, lentil soup, etc. To me tge biggest frustration is all these meat heavy kosher places.

Felafel is my Achilles heel. It's fried so it's not great but the chicpeas are healthy.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
Not sure what the joke is here but please invite me to you're party at your death bed so we can a laugh at healthy eaters as you die at 60.

You sound like a smoker who mocks non smokers. You want to eat unhealthy? It's your constitutional right. But why hijack this thread.

Yes healthy eaters can die Young and unhealthy people can live long.

But bh in my family those that lived and are alive at 94-103 keep this form of diet.

Enjoy your soda in hell at 50

No question that the Mediterranean is the gold standard of diets. Keep in mind that although not conclusive, some studies show that being a bit chubby after middle age actually corresponds to lower mortality than those who are thin, and certainly vs those who are underweight. Also Longevity has a strong genetic component; it tends to run in families even after factoring in lifestyle. Having a positive outlook, close relationships, religion, and being productive are also factors.

A recent study suggested that people who walk fast (even those morbidly obese!) live years longer than those who walk slowly.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7038267/amp/Fast-walkers-live-15-years-longer-dawdlers-study-claims.html
So diet is important but there are a whole host of factors that end up contributing to longevity. One side of my family seems to have the gene. My grandparent had 12 siblings, and all lived to the mid to upper 90’s to low 100’s except one who died in middle age of a freak infection and septic shock. One was a kindergarten teacher. One founded a major media firm. One didn’t drive a car and walked everywhere. Another drove all day to sales and the like. All were incredibly active well into their 80’s and were generally happy, positive people who were interested in life. My grandparent ate frozen pizza, grilled cheese, meals on wheels, school lunches as well as meat. Most of them were on the chubby side but mostly in moderation.

On my other side I had a relative who didn’t touch sugar, white flour, or  meat. She took long walks daily and was in good shape. Her family did not have longevity, and she got the machla in her lower 70’s.

So the Mediterranean diet is a great lifestyle move, but just one of many factors when it comes to longevity.

Offline CreamofSoup

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
Almost zero processed foods, diet is primarily whole grains, nuts, fruits, veggies, and fish.

No added sugar at all.
My wife and I switched to a (mostly) whole foods plant based diet several months ago, not too dissimilar from what you've described...fish and chicken each once a week (eggs, maybe twice  a week and beef twice a month approximately) but the rest of our diet is whole grains, nuts, fruits, veggies and loads of legumes. The only added sugars for us now are in the form of honey, dates or pure maple syrup (all of which are used sparingly). We also started buying organic and free range responsibly farmed meats - more to avoid the hormones used to raise animals than anything but the ethical considerations is a definite bonus.

We also started exercising regularly, so I can't draw a conclusion that the diet plays a role but I haven't felt as good as I do in many years. Everything from energy to cognition to aches and pains improved.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

AKA bleeding heart for nonsense that is never seen in our religion. We have an issue with tzaar baalei chaim, but it is nowhere mentioned in the literature that as a result you should become a bleeding heart and refrain from eating meat.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »
Yeah I have to point out cognition. I used to have major brain fog and now no more.

All the articles do point out that besides eating well and being active, having a social life and family etc were contribution.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
AKA bleeding heart for nonsense that is never seen in our religion. We have an issue with tzaar baalei chaim, but it is nowhere mentioned in the literature that as a result you should become a bleeding heart and refrain from eating meat.

Eh it's why I stopped using a chicken for kaparos. They'd arrive half dead, be swung and slaughtered and often discarded.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »

Who said it was mentioned in literature?

Hashem gave me a heart and a mind and like I mentioned above- it's something that leaves me with a bad feeling sometimes benefiting from such things and I just try to be conscience about it and yes it does affect my personal eating habits.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
My wife and I switched to a (mostly) whole foods plant based diet several months ago, not too dissimilar from what you've described...fish and chicken each once a week (eggs, maybe twice  a week and beef twice a month approximately) but the rest of our diet is whole grains, nuts, fruits, veggies and loads of legumes. The only added sugars for us now are in the form of honey, dates or pure maple syrup (all of which are used sparingly). We also started buying organic and free range responsibly farmed meats - more to avoid the hormones used to raise animals than anything but the ethical considerations is a definite bonus.

We also started exercising regularly, so I can't draw a conclusion that the diet plays a role but I haven't felt as good as I do in many years. Everything from energy to cognition to aches and pains improved.

It's the way to go!  Feeling good...feels so good :)

I changed my eating habits a bunch of years ago and I never felt terrible before -- but sometimes you don't realize how 'not good' you felt until you start feeling great all the time.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
Also Longevity has a strong genetic component; it tends to run in families even after factoring in lifestyle. Having a positive outlook, close relationships, religion, and being productive are also factors.
FTFY.

Biggest natural factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:11:48 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »
FTFY.

Biggest factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.

Till you get clogged arteries I'm sure.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
FTFY.

Biggest natural factor for longevity is genetics. If you want to live long, pick your parents right. Positive outlook and a healthy state of mind make a huge difference in quality of life and overall health.
They say gd is a component to deciding lots of these things as well. Still important to stay healthy.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
They say gd is a the only real component to deciding lots of these things as well. Still important to stay healthy.
FTFY

Which is why I qualified my statement by writing "natural" factor (we know what the gematria of הטבע is).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:35:11 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
FTFY.

Actually recent thinking is that genetics plays an important role but not as large a factor as once thought. According to recent research it accounts for a minority of the factors that determine longevity, although healthy diet is less than 50% as well....

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
Actually recent thinking is that genetics plays an important role but not as large a factor as once thought. According to recent research it accounts for a minority of the factors that determine longevity, although healthy diet is less than 50% as well....

I guess recent thinking is that $$$ plays an important role. It definitely provides access to better healthcare with one less stress factor.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:52 PM »
FTFY

Which is why I qualified my statement by writing "natural" factor (we know what the gematria of הטבע is).

For you to bring God into a discussion about eating healthy is silly.

What part of Judaism talks about eating whatever you want, body be damned?

The rebbe placed enourmess emphasis on physical health.. along with emotional health. .

If genetics play a key, people owe it their kids to be healthy before they have them and be healthy by example after.

Anyways it's a crap shot in my opinion. I have family that dies lo aleinu from cancer in their 50's and 60's and family that live ad mea esrim bli ayin Hara living 94-103.

Anyways, it's both affecting how you feel now and long term health.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
For you to bring God into a discussion about eating healthy is silly.

What part of Judaism talks about eating whatever you want, body be damned?

The rebbe placed enourmess emphasis on physical health.. along with emotional health. .

If genetics play a key, people owe it their kids to be healthy before they have them and be healthy by example after.

Anyways it's a crap shot in my opinion. I have family that dies lo aleinu from cancer in their 50's and 60's and family that live ad mea esrim bli ayin Hara living 94-103.

Anyways, it's both affecting how you feel now and long term health.
Genetics have nothing to do with how healthy parents are by choice. A key principle in genetics is that you can't pass down an inherited trait.

Habits matter but that's nurture vs. Nature.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
This thinking that one has bad genetics so why eat healthy is silly.

All is in the hands of God but we must act b'derech hatevah.

I was reading the book on the father of Sol feiner of LA where many in his family died young, he had a relative who was very old and he asked him "how did you live so long" so he said he got a brocha from the sar shalom of belz to live long. So he travels to belz and See's Reb aharon (1937?) And he says to him you came just in time and blesses him with arichas yamim (he lived to 90s)

Anyways, I don't see why genetics would dictate how one lives. Healthy eating is critical short and long term.