Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 13764 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
This thinking that one has bad genetics so why eat healthy is silly.

All is in the hands of God but we must act b'derech hatevah.

I was reading the book on the father of Sol feiner of LA where many in his family died young, he had a relative who was very old and he asked him "how did you live so long" so he said he got a brocha from the sar shalom of belz to live long. So he travels to belz and See's Reb aharon (1937?) And he says to him you came just in time and blesses him with arichas yamim (he lived to 90s)

Anyways, I don't see why genetics would dictate how one lives. Healthy eating is critical short and long term.
I think (most) (all) agree with everything mentioned, but just adding that genetics seems to play a role as well. This also seems to be part of the mehalech  hateva. Nobody condones unhealthy eating beshita, and I think all agree it's better to eat healthy. However (and this coming from someone without much knowledge of the subject), it seems that every few years contradictory studies come out, so there is only so much faith you can put into many diets. Granted, there are certain accepted things that have been known to be healthy/unhealthy for many years, but when it comes to other things, I can understand why others may not take it as seriously as you. (My personal feeling is that most things won't be too damaging if taken in moderation).

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 10:51:02 AM »
Back to the discussion of Mediterranean, I tried for a while to go with it but it was slightly tough. Maybe it's because I was trying to fancy recipes that required a lot of work and expensive ingredients. Nowadays I eat a ton of chicken, almost every night. Nothing too fancy, just some different spices on boneless chicken and some rice on the side.
Breakfast and lunch are tough for me since I don't meal prep. I REALLY need to get better at meal prep. Would be good if people can share some more simple ideas for lunches and breakfast.
BTW part of the Mediterranean diet is small portions. I think the idea is that you eat socially and slowly as well to feel fuller without requiring huge American portions.

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
You can buy organic/ free range but then blood spots are far more of a kashrus issue.
This explains SOOO much! I started buying free range eggs but I kept getting so much blood. I thought it was just the brand. Good to know this is a thing and not just me. IMHO it's horrible how animals are treated but that is for a different thread...

Offline Crunchy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »
Not my opinion but once heard someone comment on this topic "I would Rather enjoy life and live fewer years than live a few more years and have a miserable life.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Not my opinion but once heard someone comment on this topic "I would Rather enjoy life and live fewer years than live a few more years and have a miserable life.
See what they say at the end....

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
Not sure if most people would consider the Mediterranean diet to be such an oppressive diet (unless you seriously hate olive oil, fish and/or red wine)

Offline Crunchy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
Not sure if most people would consider the Mediterranean diet to be such an oppressive diet (unless you seriously hate olive oil, fish and/or red wine)
Your comment and location doesn't match.  ;)

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
See what they say at the end....
Like when people say that the years flew by.

No it didn't you just don't remember them.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315449.php

Whats fun about cancer or kidney failure?

The American Institute for Cancer Research, for example, recommend eating no more than 18 ounces of cooked red meats each week to reduce cancer risk, while processed meats should be avoided completely.

Based on what I view of at least @Dan  he eats about 70+ ounces a week of red meat ;)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315449.php

Whats fun about cancer or kidney failure?

Based on what I view of at least @Dan  he eats about 70+ ounces a week of red meat ;)

You should ask @Dan if he’s willing to set up some kind of a partnership with you so you can legally buy a policy on his life (or he can transfer one to you and qualify for an exemption from transfer for value rules).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »
I just see no redeeming health benefits to cows. Bring bisson back.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
I just see no redeeming health benefits to cows. Bring bisson back.
Indeed, שור הבר is what we will have upon the ultimate redemption.
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »
Indeed, שור הבר is what we will have upon the ultimate redemption.

I'm not sure if you are trolling me or simply see no reason to ne healthy.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/22/health/diet-cancer-risk-study/index.html

"Low whole-grain consumption was associated with the largest cancer burden in the US, followed by low dairy intake, high processed-meat intake, low vegetable and fruit intake, high red-meat intake and high intake of sugar-sweetened beverages," Zhang said.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
I'm not sure if you are trolling me or simply see no reason to ne healthy.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/22/health/diet-cancer-risk-study/index.html

"Low whole-grain consumption was associated with the largest cancer burden in the US, followed by low dairy intake, high processed-meat intake, low vegetable and fruit intake, high red-meat intake and high intake of sugar-sweetened beverages," Zhang said.

Why do you keep on quoting these things as if they were gospel?

We are all suffering to this day because חוה added ולא תגעו בו.

There is no redeeming benefit in using scare mongering and quasi-science regarding various diets and/or foods.

There are plenty of benefits to keeping a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables, low in processed carbohydrates, and with a healthy dose of in healthy fats. No need to get extreme in anything, or bring up the big C - of which there’s no proof or even knowledge that any of the foods that you mention bring it on.

And while we’re at it, what the heck is “processed meat”? I’ve heard of, and understand processed carbs, but meat?
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »
Sausages, cold cuts etc

Processed meat is considered to be any meat which has been modified in order either to improve its taste or to extend its shelf life. Methods of meat processing include salting, curing, fermentation, and smoking.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
What's quasi science ?!?!? That chemicals in your food cause cancer ?!? So go load up on trans fat and nitrates.

White bread has always been known to be unhealthy.

There's nothing wrong with red meat In moderation but not what I see in frum world, which seems to be unhappy with the manna and wants the Slav.

I didn't start this thread to criticize but the modern western diet of tons of red meat is unhealthy.. despite tons of medical evidence that backs this up. You sound like an anti vaxxer here or smokers in the 70's.

Gerbazo beans (chickpeas) are healthy and cheap as is adjuki beans etc.

Ironically that having eradicated so much disease, humans call themselves by bad choice of diet.

I drink too much and it's a struggle. I'm a slave to the wine, I love it.. I need to cut down on it.

But from a Jewish prospective we might as well quote avot "pass umelach.." nothing about SHOR habor every day

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 12:51:42 AM »
What's quasi science ?!?!? That chemicals in your food cause cancer ?!? So go load up on trans fat and nitrates.

White bread has always been known to be unhealthy.

There's nothing wrong with red meat In moderation but not what I see in frum world, which seems to be unhappy with the manna and wants the Slav.

I didn't start this thread to criticize but the modern western diet of tons of red meat is unhealthy.. despite tons of medical evidence that backs this up. You sound like an anti vaxxer here or smokers in the 70's.

Gerbazo beans (chickpeas) are healthy and cheap as is adjuki beans etc.

Ironically that having eradicated so much disease, humans call themselves by bad choice of diet.

I drink too much and it's a struggle. I'm a slave to the wine, I love it.. I need to cut down on it.

But from a Jewish prospective we might as well quote avot "pass umelach.." nothing about SHOR habor every day

There are many known cancer causes. Alcohol is one of them. Drinking water, sunlight, and using the dry cleaners are as well. Eating a boatload of beans is not going to eliminate the other 100 plus known carcinogens that most of us are regularly exposed to.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 12:55:06 AM »
Do you ever pay attention to what others say and/or respond, or do you just play all sides of the conversation (while seeming to get combative and turning it into an argument with yourself)?

Remember one of my first posts on this thread was:

Sounds like a great menu. Would love to have you prepare those for me every day.

I don't know if it's some kind of a blessing, but it seems like my taste buds (or maybe something else that determines what foods I like) make me prefer a diet rich with vegetables. For the most part I can't stand sweet food (other than some chocolate or some cakes - but even with those I can't have them if they're too sweet), and I am known 'round here for Parve cholent (and beans are my favorite part). So I naturally tend to enjoy what you are advocating as a diet. But while my kids know that I consider sugar a synonym to poison, on the rare occasion when I do have red meat, I'll insist on a nice fatty piece.

All the claims about one food or another bringing about cancer, are unproven theories at best.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:54:10 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 12:57:16 AM »
Probably has more to do with unique metabolic process preferences vs taste buds
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
Why do you keep on quoting these things as if they were gospel?

We are all suffering to this day because חוה added ולא תגעו בו.

There is no redeeming benefit in using scare mongering and quasi-science regarding various diets and/or foods.

There are plenty of benefits to keeping a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables, low in processed carbohydrates, and with a healthy dose of in healthy fats. No need to get extreme in anything, or bring up the big C - of which there’s no proof or even knowledge that any of the foods that you mention bring it on.

And while we’re at it, what the heck is “processed meat”? I’ve heard of, and understand processed carbs, but meat?
You might want to check your history. Chava wasn't the one to add that.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers