Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 13763 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 07:45:20 AM »
You might want to check your history. Chava wasn't the one to add that.

https://www.mgketer.org/tanach/1/3/3

See Rashi
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
There's a much clearer link to saturated fats and heart issues. Red meat is pretty high in saturated fats. Personally I eat way too much of it. Am destined to end up on Lipitor at some point.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
What's quasi science ?!?!? That chemicals in your food cause cancer ?!? So go load up on trans fat and nitrates.

White bread has always been known to be unhealthy.

There's nothing wrong with red meat In moderation but not what I see in frum world, which seems to be unhappy with the manna and wants the Slav.

I didn't start this thread to criticize but the modern western diet of tons of red meat is unhealthy.. despite tons of medical evidence that backs this up. You sound like an anti vaxxer here or smokers in the 70's.

Gerbazo beans (chickpeas) are healthy and cheap as is adjuki beans etc.

Let’s be real. You can preach about the risks of a meat heavy diet but no meat eater is going to switch to bean dishes that taste like ———. Or dishes that have a huge prep time. Are there dishes that involve minimal prep time and are tasty with instant appeal to meat eaters?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »
Let’s be real. You can preach about the risks of a meat heavy diet but no meat eater is going to switch to bean dishes that taste like ———. Or dishes that have a huge prep time. Are there dishes that involve minimal prep time and are tasty with instant appeal to meat eaters?
For starters, chicken and salmon are much healthier. Especially white meat chicken without the skin. I don't like beans or tofu so even when I want to eat healthy, it's a salad with grilled chicken or salmon and ww pasta or something.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
For starters, chicken and salmon are much healthier. Especially white meat chicken without the skin. I don't like beans or tofu so even when I want to eat healthy, it's a salad with grilled chicken or salmon and ww pasta or something.

That can take care of some of the menu. Salmon every day is expensive and can get repetitive. Grilled chicken can be healthier but there’s only so much you can eat of that as well. Are there any bean type of dishes etc that would have broad appeal?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »
That can take care of some of the menu. Salmon every day is expensive and can get repetitive. Grilled chicken can be healthier but there’s only so much you can eat of that as well. Are there any bean type of dishes etc that would have broad appeal?
Vegaterian chulent.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »
https://www.mgketer.org/tanach/1/3/3

See Rashi
he didnt say check Rashi - he said check your history!! ;D
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2019, 01:10:34 PM »
Do you ever pay attention to what others say and/or respond, or do you just play all sides of the conversation (while seeming to get combative and turning it into an argument with yourself)?

Remember one of my first posts on this thread was:

I don't know if it's some kind of a blessing, but it seems like my taste buds (or maybe something else that determines what foods I like) make me prefer a diet rich with vegetables. For the most part I can't stand sweet food (other than some chocolate or some cakes - but even with those I can't have them if they're too sweet), and I am known 'round here for Parve cholent (and beans are my favorite part). So I naturally tend to enjoy what you are advocating as a diet. But while my kids know that I consider sugar a synonym to poison, on the rare occasion when I do have red meat, I'll insist on a nice fatty piece.

All the claims about one food or another bringing about cancer, are unproven theories at best.
So it seems that the difference between an @ExGingi and a @gingyguy is the red meat
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Salmon is cheaper than any meat other than ground beef. Especially if you buy it from a not specifically kosher stores (kosher stores tend to way overcharge for it).

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »
Salmon is cheaper than any meat other than ground beef. Especially if you buy it from a not specifically kosher stores (kosher stores tend to way overcharge for it).
Not sure where you buy, but there are plenty of places on the east coast where you can get meat for under $10 per lb. Even farmed salmon isn't much less than that

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Not sure where you buy, but there are plenty of places on the east coast where you can get meat for under $10 per lb. Even farmed salmon isn't much less than that
you can easily get salmon for $6-$7 a pound in places like bingo
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »
Most cuts run around 10+. Salmon can be had for 8 usually. Chicken is by far cheaper, but I can't agree to an economical argument for beef being cheaper than other proteins.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »

Yes I was contrasting with say, meatballs and spaghetti or burgers which is far cheaper than salmon.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
Most cuts run around 10+. Salmon can be had for 8 usually. Chicken is by far cheaper, but I can't agree to an economical argument for beef being cheaper than other proteins.
I agree that it's not economical to have meat over salmon. Anyway, I doubt many people have red meat (nearly) every day, but who knows?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
Yes I was contrasting with say, meatballs and spaghetti or burgers which is far cheaper than salmon.
Ground chicken or turkey is also comparable in price.

Obviously you might sacrifice in taste but with good recipes, it can be mitigated.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »

There are dozens of kosher fish. In fact I find meat boring.. oh wow different cut.

Sole, snapper, corvina, bronzino are a few I ate this week

Your idea of beans tasting bad is because you're not prepping right. It's an investment to learn how etc.

Chummus can taste like crap or incredible too.

Broccoli, asparagus, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, green beans all are awesome, delicious and easy to make.

In years past, people did not eat this much red meat! The studies linking red meat to health issues is simply new because this meat consumption is new.

Further, animals these days like veggies contain way too many chemicals, we're not raised / grown right etc.

I killed my gut in my teens and 20's, I was raised very healthy. To us as kids, tradition soups with their msg was forbidden and we would sneak them lol

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2019, 05:12:30 PM »
https://fox8.com/2019/06/05/white-meat-is-just-as-bad-for-you-as-red-beef-when-it-comes-to-your-cholesterol-level-study-says/

What now?

All in context and moderation. What's wrong with legumes? Adjuki beans, chicpeas (hummus, felafel) lentils, peas etc etc veggies, fruits, grain's.. more fish, just a little chicken and less meat.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
All in context and moderation. What's wrong with legumes? Adjuki beans, chicpeas (hummus, felafel) lentils, peas etc etc veggies, fruits, grain's.. more fish, just a little chicken and less meat.

Which is more or less what I've been saying all along (though if cutting down on meat might be really hard for me, as it's rather rare - no pun intended - that I have any).

Though I'm not so sure about Brussels Sprouts, it's considered infested with no reliable way to clean, other than totally breaking them apart.
-- Dan

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Which is more or less what I've been saying all along (though if cutting down on meat might be really hard for me, as it's rather rare - no pun intended - that I have any).

Though I'm not so sure about Brussels Sprouts, it's considered infested with no reliable way to clean, other than totally breaking them apart.
Try bodek brussel sprouts. They are excellent roasted.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers