Author Topic: Mediterranean diet  (Read 13770 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Mediterranean diet
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
Try bodek brussel sprouts. They are excellent roasted.
I wasn't aware those existed. How do they do it? From what I have seen on vegetable checking guides from various Kashrus agencies, none had an approved/reliable method for Brussel Sprouts.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
I wasn't aware those existed. How do they do it? From what I have seen on vegetable checking guides from various Kashrus agencies, none had an approved/reliable method for Brussel Sprouts.
It's impossible to check Brussels sprouts. I believe they grow them bug free
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2019, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:25 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/amp/ncna1011051

Buettner contests that diet is responsible for “maybe only 25 percent” of the longevity picture in Sardinia. “People tend to go down this rabbit hole that diet is everything, but it’s really a small part of the big picture.”
-- Dan

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2019, 12:29:12 AM »

Apparently part of the secret to longevity is skimpy swimwear. Thanks for sharing.  Click at your own risk.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:04 AM »

Right, physical activity is critical but also they eat 0 processed foods, lots of wine.

The qty of red meat is debatable but none of these people eat processed anything.

“The food is beans, greens and whole grains,” says Buettner. “They also eat a lot of bread and cheese, mostly Pecorino and food from their garden.”

You missed that

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:38 AM »
Apparently part of the secret to longevity is skimpy swimwear. Thanks for sharing.  Click at your own risk.

Sorry!

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »
Right, physical activity is critical but also they eat 0 processed foods, lots of wine.

The qty of red meat is debatable but none of these people eat processed anything.

“The food is beans, greens and whole grains,” says Buettner. “They also eat a lot of bread and cheese, mostly Pecorino and food from their garden.”

You missed that

Here’s the full quote:
“Piras shares that where grew up, in Barbagia, Sardinia in the 1960s and seventies, homemade pasta was heavy on the menu, as was meat — (lamb and pork, namely).

“In my area especially, meat is a major part of the diet,” says Piras. “The specialities are suckling pig, lamb, and some beef. Most of the vegetables would be limited to just very basic radishes, fennel and celery. Depending on the season, you also have a lot of wild asparagus which has a very intense flavor — not like what you find in the U.S — as well as asparagus, mushrooms and chard.”

All this pork (though Piras asserts that suckling pig is more of an “occasion” dish) and wine consumption (no matter its organic and local profile) has me wondering how these people live so long! Buettner contests that diet is responsible for “maybe only 25 percent” of the longevity picture in Sardinia. “People tend to go down this rabbit hole that diet is everything, but it’s really a small part of the big picture.””

Keep in mind that it the people from that era that are now hitting 100.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2019, 01:31:16 AM »
The greens that they eat are very healthy. The pasta is homemade as per article.

The meat isn't processed. So that's one critical point.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:36 AM »

You missed that

What makes you think I missed it? After everything is said about the diet, he says that he only attributes 25% of the secret of their longevity to it. Not that I think there's anything scientific to it, but since you were the one bringing the article in the context of extolling the merits of the Mediterranean diet, I thought the quote is worthy of pointing out.

But after all, you seem to insist on “go[ing] down this rabbit hole that diet is everything," while "it’s really a small part of the big picture.”
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:13:05 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Many Mediterranean diets mention the fact that it's a way of life which includes heavy socializing. Notice that they don't toss their elderly into old age homes where they wither away in a lonely life. They keep them in their homes where they are active participants of the family.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
Many Mediterranean diets mention the fact that it's a way of life which includes heavy socializing. Notice that they don't toss their elderly into old age homes where they wither away in a lonely life. They keep them in their homes where they are active participants of the family.

Yep, keh looking at my bubby of 94, active and spry

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
What makes you think I missed it? After everything is said about the diet, he says that he only attributes 25% of the secret of their longevity to it. Not that I think there's anything scientific to it, but since you were the one bringing the article in the context of extolling the merits of the Mediterranean diet, I thought the quote is worthy of pointing out.

But after all, you seem to insist on “go[ing] down this rabbit hole that diet is everything," while "it’s really a small part of the big picture.”

And that's why I posted it, precisely because it disagrees.

But looking into the small things and one picks stuff out. I'd bet their homemade pasta is incredibly healthy.

Likewise I don't think too much meat is healthy, just pointing out as I have before that processed meat's were the bad child.

I agree that food isn't everything. It's a balance.

Offline chevron

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2019, 02:59:09 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/06/12/732061499/the-swap-less-processed-meat-more-plant-based-foods-may-boost-longevity

The key word being May which might indicate that this is a theory, not proven science.

That being said, I doubt anyone is extolling the health benefits of Hot Dogs, and almost everyone agrees that nuts and seeds are healthy. It's just that there's so much more that goes into the longevity equation.
-- Dan

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »

I was in Sardegna a few weeks ago.  I asked the driver in Alghero, what's the secret of longevity in Sardegna,
and how come they're content with whatever they have.  He told me, its because of the light.  From the morning,
till ten o'clock in the evening, there's a light shining out in the sky.  It is magnificent over there.

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »
I was in Sardegna a few weeks ago.  I asked the driver in Alghero, what's the secret of longevity in Sardegna,
and how come they're content with whatever they have.  He told me, its because of the light.  From the morning,
till ten o'clock in the evening, there's a light shining out in the sky.  It is magnificent over there.
Hopefully this goes with out saying, but that's nonsense. Sardinia doesn't get an exceptionally high amount of sunshine. If sunshine were an indicator was the biggest contributor, Sardinia would be far behind Arizona, Egypt - even Israel.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:52:25 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »

Always get the most accurate, proven, scientific, information from your drivers.  ;D

That being said, sunlight exposure probably has health benefits. But I would argue (with no scientific proof or evidence) that the fact that "they're content with whatever they have" is a strong contributor to "longevity in Sardegna" or elsewhere. Attitude and mental health are huge!
-- Dan

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
But if you Google the five blue zones you'll see that all them are on beautiful Waterfront areas

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
I'm curious about stuff like pollution, water quality etc..

also again you could eat the same foods but which has chemicals etc or nutrients