Author Topic: Air France Business award CDG-JFK VS BRU-JFK to save 4K  (Read 1453 times)

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Air France Business award CDG-JFK VS BRU-JFK to save 4K
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
There is a 4K AF points difference if I'm leaving from CDG rather than ZYR.
Some representatives told me that I can just call in the same day if "I can't make it to the train..." and still keep the flight, and some told me that I will lose the whole flight for the no-show. Of course, I still have the option to modify the itinerary the same day for a $50 fee.
Any experience with that? (I know that they do a small check-in before the train)
On saver award economy it's only 500 points difference.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Air France Business award CDG-JFK VS BRU-JFK to save 4K
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
IS 4K AF really worth the risk??

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
IS 4K AF really worth the risk??
When you book for a group of 4.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »
When you book for a group of 4.
still not worth it IMO

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
You HAVE to take the train from zyr. At least in my experience. And yes it is a very good way to save money with cash fares

However, for the way back into France you can ditch the train since you have to take your luggage at the airport anyway (if you are a FF and afraid to be shutdown etc you can go to the train ticket desk and ask them to print the ticket and then leave since they have no way to further verify if you took the train or not). If you do want to use the train but want to go on a different train, ask the agent at the train desk and they should do it no problem. 

When you get to zyr Air France has a check in counter where you check in the same way you would at the airport including getting your luggage from you on certain flights.

You can also book a direct flight from Brussels with delta which should be priced similarly. The logic is that Air France and KLM are one company and based in France and the Netherland with Belgium stuck in the middle so they do this to attract the Belgian customers to fly with them since they’re also larger then Brussels airlines
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:57:35 AM by tmendy226 »

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
You HAVE to take the train from zyr. At least in my experience. And yes it is a very good way to save money with cash fares

However, for the way back into France you can ditch the train since you have to take your luggage at the airport anyway (if you are a FF and afraid to be shutdown etc you can go to the train ticket desk and ask them to print the ticket and then leave since they have no way to further verify if you took the train or not). If you do want to use the train but want to go on a different train, ask the agent at the train desk and they should do it no problem. 

When you get to zyr Air France has a check in counter where you check in the same way you would at the airport including getting your luggage from you on certain flights.

You can also book a direct flight from Brussels with delta which should be priced similarly. The logic is that Air France and KLM are one company and based in France and the Netherland with Belgium stuck in the middle so they do this to attract the Belgian customers to fly with them since they’re also larger then Brussels airlines

Thanks for the clarification.

You'll almost never find saver award from Delta on international flight with partners although that in theory it should.

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
I’m referring to booking on Air France operated by delta but I only have experience with paid tickets

Offline israshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
I’m referring to booking on Air France operated by delta but I only have experience with paid tickets
I was referring to the same thing. There are no saver award from Delta to partners 98% of the time. Recently though, I found on FB website, 29K AF for a dl JFK-TLV direct (same flight on DL was 160K...)