Author Topic: TWA Flight 800 Documentary  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
TWA Flight 800 Documentary
« on: May 21, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
This popped up in my Amazon Prime Video suggestions and I watched it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDIHO5M/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but boy does this make a compelling case for a government cover-up.

Have you watched it? Thoughts?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: TWA Flight 800 Documentary
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but boy does this make a compelling case for a government cover-up.
I haven't watched this, I'm just commenting in general. One thing I've found with conspiracy theories is they all sound very compelling -until you dig a little deeper and find out that half the tings they say are simply not true.

One example that comes to mind is "Passing through the Van Allen belts would've killed the astronauts so the moon landing must've been faked." Now if that was indeed true it would indeed cast serious doubts on the moon landing. Of course that's not actually true* and they did pass through without getting killed.

*They could be deadly, you just need to pass through in the right places to be safe.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
I haven't watched this, I'm just commenting in general. One thing I've found with conspiracy theories is they all sound very compelling -until you dig a little deeper and find out that half the tings they say are simply not true.

One example that comes to mind is "Passing through the Van Allen belts would've killed the astronauts so the moon landing must've been faked." Now if that was indeed true it would indeed cast serious doubts on the moon landing. Of course that's not actually true* and they did pass through without getting killed.

*They could be deadly, you just need to pass through in the right places to be safe.
Watch this one first and see who they have onboard...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »
Watch this one first and see who they have onboard...

Offline Excalibur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »
This popped up in my Amazon Prime Video suggestions and I watched it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDIHO5M/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Haven't seen it but a documentary with 4.5/5* sounds time worthy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Haven't seen it but a documentary with 4.5/5* sounds time worthy
It is indeed.

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »

Curious that you're posting this shortly after your TWA Hotel stay. Think that's why it popped up on amazon?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
Curious that you're posting this shortly after your TWA Hotel stay. Think that's why it popped up on amazon?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »
Now that I watched it, I'll say that a lot of what they say sounds very suspicious and compelling, but they haven't quite convinced me.

I haven't looked into anything else about this yet, so at this point I'm basing it all strictly on what's in the video.
(I remember from back when it happened that there was a lot of talk about it being hit by a missile but I don't remember any of the details so I'm basically starting fresh here with this documentary.)

A few things that stuck out to me
1. A lot of what they talk about with the FBI, (e.g. the heavy FBI presence & a lot of the FBI behavior, ) is made to sound sinister and unusual but with much of it they don't actually say that this was abnormal for such an investigation. At least some of the things mentioned can easily be explained away with standard jurisdictional/turf wars between agencies.
Another thing with a potentially benign explanation is the claim that this couldn't be the plane used for the drug sniffing training because the report says they finished at 12 and the plane took off at 12:35 and according to (FAA?) regulations the flight crew needed to be onboard an hour before takeoff. A lazy officer who just estimated the times in his report, and/or a flight crew who weren't actually on the plane an hour before take off seems entirely plausible to me.

2. They don't do a very good job of backing up their "facts." e.g.
-The random damage & injury pattern means it must've been "a high ordnance detonation, not a low-speed explosion." They don't give anything to back this up, it appears to be just his opinion.
-Because missiles are round therefore they're kinda stealthy and wouldn't have been picked up by the radars. Um what?
-When they talk about the radar data proving the debris from the explosion was moving at least mach 4 they're a little light on the details, i.e. they haven't shown anything to convince me that for example these radars are capable of such precision and this wasn't just essentially noise.

Now of course the items in #2 could actually be true but they just didn't give the details in the video. Where they really lost me is the "here's what really happened" part.  Until that point everyone was talking about A streak across the sky, all of the sudden now there's 3 separate missiles?

And then of course the magnitude of what had to have taken place for there to have been 3 missiles fired at this plane from 3 different launch locations is not something I'm willing to believe at this point.

If we're talking about one missile it seems there are basically two options, either a terrorist with a shoulder-fired or a military mistake, likely from a navy ship. (They don't really talk about it in the video, but I seem to remember that talk at the time centering around a ship-fired missile)

The whole premise of the video is essentially that the FBI was covering it up from day one. That would seem to rule out a terrorist (or for that matter any non-US gov entity) attack, otherwise why the coverup?

If it was one missile you can conceivably say that it was somehow a mistake by the military but I don't see how 3 missiles from 3 firing points could possibly be a mistake, it would've had to be intentional on the part of the military and I'm not willing to go there. The only possible explanation I can come up with is that it was some kind of test and they mistakenly shot down the wrong target. But that makes no sense. AFAIK they're not doing live fire tests in middle of busy commercial airspace. and if they did everyone would know about it. And even if that did somehow happen, there would have been many many people involved and certainly some would have come forward, definitely by now. And come to think about it, even one errant missile from a ship would've had enough people knowing about it that it wouldn't stay a secret.

Of course all this is based strictly on what's in the video, once I start digging a little deeper and read up on it we'll see what I have to say.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
30 seconds into my research and already I see a potential major flaw with the video. They made it sound like there was zero evidence to support the idea of the spark in the fuel tank. The following is from the second paragraph on the wikipedia page for flight 800
Although it could not be determined with certainty, the likely ignition source was a short circuit.[1]:xvi Problems with the aircraft's wiring were found, including evidence of arcing in the Fuel Quantity Indication System (FQIS) wiring that enters the tank. The FQIS on Flight 800 is known to have been malfunctioning; the captain remarked on what he called "crazy" readings from the system approximately two minutes and thirty seconds before the aircraft exploded. As a result of the investigation, new requirements were developed for aircraft to prevent future fuel tank explosions.[9]
Now this is wikipedia after all and I haven't seen yet what the source for this is, (presumably the pilot talking about the crazy readings is from the cockpit voice recorder,) so I'll still take it with a grain of salt, but so far it isn't looking great for the video.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
30 seconds into my research and already I see a potential major flaw with the video. They made it sound like there was zero evidence to support the idea of the spark in the fuel tank. The following is from the second paragraph on the wikipedia page for flight 800 Now this is wikipedia after all and I haven't seen yet what the source for this is, (presumably the pilot talking about the crazy readings is from the cockpit voice recorder,) so I'll still take it with a grain of salt, but so far it isn't looking great for the video.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/trip-notes/trip-notes-staying-grand-opening-twa-hotel-jfk-eating-nyc-restaurants/#comment-1408294

Online ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me.
don't think amazon app has access to device location
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
It seems pretty clear that the issue was bad wiring (possibly from the new trainee not fixing properly?) causing a short circuit. They did so much modeling that quite plainly rules out the possibility of a missle strike.