Author Topic: Portable jump starters/Air compressor to boost a vehicle.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Portable jump starters/Air compressor to boost a vehicle.
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:39:28 PM »
Looking to spend in the 50 to $70 range on a portable jump starter , and preferably one with an air compressor to inflate tires.

Anyone have one that they would recommend, here's three below which I would go with, not sure how many cranking amps suffice for an average car? Do I need 350 starting cranking amps or 500 needed?

Here's three different ones that I was thinking about buying.

STANLEY FATMAX 700/350 Amp Jump Starter w/120 PSI Compressor (J7CS)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-FATMAX-700-350-Amp-Jump-Starter-w-120-PSI-Compressor-J7CS/38243753?

Reason to get this one is it's $50 and has the air.

Or....

$80
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-1000-500-Amp-Jump-Starter-w-120-PSI-Compressor-J5C09/13035281?

STANLEY 1000/500 Amp Jump Starter w/120 PSI Compressor (J5C09)

Has air and this one higher cranking amps.

Or this one for $60 but without the air, don't want to carry around an air pump and a jumper, when I can have a jumper and air compressor without the need to plug it into any socket.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-1000-500-Amp-12V-Jump-Starter-with-LED-Light-and-USB-J509/14560016?

STANLEY 1000/500 Amp 12V Jump Starter with LED Light and USB (J509)

There's another one which I see a lot of, chaverim, mechanics seem to have the " clore automotive Jump And Carry" version for a few dollars more, worth splurging to get that one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JUMP-N-CARRY-12V-JUMP-STARTER-1700-PEAK-AMPS/16481007?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:46:26 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
Re: Portable jump starters/Air compressor to boost a vehicle.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:06:25 AM »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »
Get a Lithium-ion one instead.
It's so much more convenient. Even if you have to get a separate compressor you still come out ahead.

I used to have one of these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-1000-500-Amp-Jump-Starter-w-120-PSI-Compressor-J5C09/13035281?

STANLEY 1000/500 Amp Jump Starter w/120 PSI Compressor (J5C09)
It's huge and heavy.

Now I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPCB2FW (I got it a few years ago, there are newer versions.) I find it so much more convenient.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:36:29 AM »
It's so much more convenient. Even if you have to get a separate compressor you still come out ahead.

I used to have one of theseIt's huge and heavy.

Now I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPCB2FW (I got it a few years ago, there are newer versions.) I find it so much more convenient.
Good idea, I always had the thought that owning one of those portable hand car boosters were a kids toy while the 20pounded cable booster worked better?
 I see it has 800 amps which is quite impressive, seems to be only one use before needed to recharge it.

And like you mentioned weights nothing and can store it anywhere.

Curios if people today still buy the big clunker's or these small portable banks?

And the air I would need one going into the cars cigarette hole, vs having a portable one. Makes no difference I'm using it for a car, so what's the difference should I use the battery of the car or be busy charging this big 20 pound clunker.
 Will sleep over this idea of yours!
Thanks.

Good night.

Only downside with your idea is, I have to make myself crazy to find a decent small one that has good CCA and is not a piece of garbage.

Vs the big one I already know should I take one, will probably go with the $80 one. And then still buy a plug for $5 and a case for $12.

לילה טוב       

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:38:42 AM »

I used to have one of theseIt's huge and heavy.

Being that you had both, which one were you happier with?
 For the few times you needed it probably easier to carry around the small one and a air compressor for 10-15$? 

Or is there a may'lah for the big one?

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
Being that you had both, which one were you happier with?
No question the little one.

Or is there a may'lah for the big one?
Only that it's one piece vs two separate pieces, but I think that's far outweighed by the smaller size & weight.

Come to think of it, IIRC I was never happy with the compressor, I always had issues with it. @chaim'l has a nice little one with a digital meter and auto-stop, two features this doesn't have.

Good idea, I always had the thought that owning one of those portable hand car boosters were a kids toy while the 20pounded cable booster worked better?
 I see it has 800 amps which is quite impressive, seems to be only one use before needed to recharge it.
I used my little one for ~10 starts without recharging it, and I have an SUV with a big engine that needs a lot of juice to start.

And the air I would need one going into the cars cigarette hole, vs having a portable one. Makes no difference I'm using it for a car, so what's the difference should I use the battery of the car or be busy charging this big 20 pound clunker.
IINM most of the little batteries have adapters to plug a cigarette lighter plug into it, so if you wanted that portability for the compressor it should work.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
No question the little one.
Only that it's one piece vs two separate pieces, but I think that's far outweighed by the smaller size & weight.

Come to think of it, IIRC I was never happy with the compressor, I always had issues with it. @chaim'l has a nice little one with a digital meter and auto-stop, two features this doesn't have.
I used my little one for ~10 starts without recharging it, and I have an SUV with a big engine that needs a lot of juice to start.

IINM most of the little batteries have adapters to plug a cigarette lighter plug into it, so if you wanted that portability for the compressor it should work.
Then I think it's going to be the portable one.

Any chance we can get @chaim'l'l to chime in so I can know which one to look into?

Thanks for your help.