Author Topic: USB-C On A Laptop  (Read 1534 times)

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
USB-C On A Laptop
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »
I recently bought a new laptop (this one), and it has a USB-C port, but when I plug in my phone charger, it says it's too weak to charge the laptop.

My two questions are:
  • Are there chargers that are strong enough to charge a laptop via USB-C?
  • If I can't charge the laptop with that port, what can I do with it?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
Re: USB-C On A Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:14:08 PM »
I recently bought a new laptop (this one), and it has a USB-C port, but when I plug in my phone charger, it says it's too weak to charge the laptop.

My two questions are:
AFAIK u can use a reg USB C charger the laptop should come with a special converter
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
I'll have to double check but I don't remember seeing anything.
AFAIK u can use a reg USB C charger the laptop should come with a special converter
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
I'll have to double check but I don't remember seeing anything.
sorry meant CAN'T
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
sorry meant CAN'T
But you think it came with a converter from regular USB-C to a laptop charging one?
-Albert Einstein

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
But you think it came with a converter from regular USB-C to a laptop charging one?
every laptop does it should have (usually) a 3 prong plug with a converter (im not sure what its called) in middle and USB C at the end

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »
The amperage will be different for a phone charger than a laptop. There are standard looking laptop chargers (with the bulky black box in the midsection) that have a type C at the end.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 02:18:50 PM »
The amperage will be different for a phone charger than a laptop. There are standard looking laptop chargers (with the bulky black box in the midsection) that have a type C at the end.

So that's something I'd have to buy separately? Is there an advantage of charging via USB over the standard charger?
-Albert Einstein

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
So that's something I'd have to buy separately? Is there an advantage of charging via USB over the standard charger?
Not sure. It's possible there are advantages when using it for data, but don't know about charging.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »

My two questions are:

Your laptop supports Power Delivery, so TECHNICALLY you could charge it with a regular USB C charger. There are plenty of 60watts+ chargers available, I would highly recommend you pre-order this one (ships June 30th) as the form factor is unbelievable: https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-61w-pd-3.0-gan-wall-charger.html
However, I would recommend you first borrow someone's Mac charger to test if it works (a 45w Mac charger should work as well) since some laptops (like HP) are restricted to the brand's charger and it could be that Dell included PD and restricted it because it plans on coming out (or already sells?) its own charger.
About its uses, USB C is the new standard, windows PC and peripherals are just slower adopting it. Personally, I use it almost exclusively (only exception would be in the car).

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 02:37:25 PM »
Your laptop supports Power Delivery, so TECHNICALLY you could charge it with a regular USB C charger. There are plenty of 60watts+ chargers available, I would highly recommend you pre-order this one (ships June 30th) as the form factor is unbelievable: https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-61w-pd-3.0-gan-wall-charger.html
However, I would recommend you first borrow someone's Mac charger to test if it works (a 45w Mac charger should work as well) since some laptops (like HP) are restricted to the brand's charger and it could be that Dell included PD and restricted it because it plans on coming out (or already sells?) its own charger.
About its uses, USB C is the new standard, windows PC and peripherals are just slower adopting it. Personally, I use it almost exclusively (only exception would be in the car).
If I recall correctly (and I could confirm when I get home) it said the minimum wattage was 72 so that 61W charger wouldn't work either. I don't know if I know anyone who has a Mac with a USB-C charger. In terms of USB-C uses, other than charging, what uses would it have on my laptop?
-Albert Einstein

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
If I recall correctly (and I could confirm when I get home) it said the minimum wattage was 72 so that 61W charger wouldn't work either. I don't know if I know anyone who has a Mac with a USB-C charger. In terms of USB-C uses, other than charging, what uses would it have on my laptop?
A lower wattage charger will probably still work, it just may charge slower than the charger that came with the laptop. 
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
Regular USB C is included as to somewhat future proof the laptop. On laptops that have a thunderbolt port (looks the same but more powerful), it supports higher resolution screens, external GPUs, some RAIDs and more.