Author Topic: James Holzhauer  (Read 13210 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
James Holzhauer
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »
How is there not a thread on this guy yet?

Simply amazing what he's doing night after night!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: James Holzhauer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »
I know firsthand how hard it is to do what he's doing - I was on Jeopardy and lost the very first game!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
I know firsthand how hard it is to do what he's doing - I was on Jeopardy and lost the very first game!
Link?

His breadth of knowledge is simply astounding.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:41 PM »
Dan, we should get you up there
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »
Dan, we should get you up there
I do well in some categories, but James is just unreal. Seems to know everything.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 11:51:43 PM »
I do well in some categories, but James is just unreal. Seems to know everything.
He's certainly unreal.
A lot of us would spend a whole lot of miles just to see you play, though
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Zalc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:54:06 PM »
https://castbox.fm/vb/152499829

Recent Planet money podcast about and featuring him.

They do a good job explaining his unique methods, and the planet money host is his relative, so they are pretty open.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:38:00 AM by Zalc »

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »
Link?

A link to my game? It's not online, though I have the video of it on my laptop. Somebody on the Antarctica cruise asked me to show it at one point, but there didn't seem to be too much interest.

If you check here you'll see me listed as a participant (under my English name): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!_Teen_Tournament

Obviously so much of what James has accomplished is his knowledge (he gets 97% of his buzzes correct vs. only 91% for Ken Jennings) and his unprecedented willingness to bet with no fear, but a lot of it is also reflexes.

In the Teen Tournament that I was on, the clues are much easier, and most of the contestants know most of the answers. It's just a question of who can figure out the timing to be the first one to buzz in as soon as they let you. Buzz too early and you're locked out for .2 seconds, which is a lifetime in the world of Jeopardy!

Sadly I was matched in the first round against the guy who won the whole tournament with his amazing reflexes (and knowledge).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:12:44 AM by Traveler718 »

Online Jellybelly

• View Profile

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
Best way to watch online?

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
While he will likely pass Jenning's $ record, I can't see him lasting 74 games. His strategy is high risk/high reward. He bets a lot on Daily Doubles. If he gets a big one wrong, that could cost him the game.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
While he will likely pass Jenning's $ record, I can't see him lasting 74 games. His strategy is high risk/high reward. He bets a lot on Daily Doubles. If he gets a big one wrong, that could cost him the game.
It's more sophisticated than that. He clearly factors in his opponents scores and their abiility to challenge him in Final.

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 12:52:54 PM »
It's more sophisticated than that. He clearly factors in his opponents scores and their abiility to challenge him in Final.
Definitely. He bets amounts that would still keep him unreachable if he gets it wrong and the opponent answers correctly.

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
Best way to watch online?
ABC app by live at 7

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »
Definitely. He bets amounts that would still keep him unreachable if he gets it wrong and the opponent answers correctly.
Exactly. Though he's more aggressive when the competition is weaker.

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
Just a couple of games ago (one of the only ones that was not a runaway which I think was last week) if the other person would have risked more on the daily double which he got right, he would have gone into final with more money than James and could have unseated him. Someone will figure it out eventually.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
Just a couple of games ago (one of the only ones that was not a runaway which I think was last week) if the other person would have risked more on the daily double which he got right, he would have gone into final with more money than James and could have unseated him. Someone will figure it out eventually.
Of course someone will figure it out eventually, but most people don't bet irrationally on the DD. James can bet big as knows nearly every answer.

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
Of course someone will figure it out eventually, but most people don't bet irrationally on the DD. James can bet big as knows nearly every answer.
But what is the reason not to bet like him?? Its not like 2nd and 3rd place keep the money they accumulated. They just get 2k and 1k respectively which pales in comparison to what you would get for 1st place where you keep the actual winnings. So if you are guaranteed 1k for coming in last, why not go all in if the risk is just a difference of 1k while the reward can be significantly greater?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
But what is the reason not to bet like him?? Its not like 2nd and 3rd place keep the money they accumulated. They just get 2k and 1k respectively which pales in comparison to what you would get for 1st place where you keep the actual winnings. So if you are guaranteed 1k for coming in last, why not go all in if the risk is just a difference of 1k while the reward can be significantly greater?
Because it wasn't a runaway in that game. Why gamble that away if you only know 60% of the answers?

Offline Mootkim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
Because it wasn't a runaway in that game. Why gamble that away if you only know 60% of the answers?
Because he will not lose. You need to proactively go and beat him.