Author Topic: CHASE closed ALL accounts!!!!!!!  (Read 112028 times)

Offline mutchkie1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
CHASE closed ALL accounts!!!!!!!
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
I just wanted you to be aware of something crazy. I have 5 Chase accounts (Presidential Plus, Marriott, Saphire, IHG and BA). Today I went to the gas station to fill up my car and my card was declined. I tried another card and it was declined again. I went home and called Chase to find out why. It turns out they closed all my accounts yesterday. I asked them why? I am a lawyer/cpa with a credit rating of approximately 835. It made no sense. The representative said because on review Chase felt that the current monthly charges were much higher than usual and when they close one account, they close all. On my Saphire account ending 3743, I have a $25,000 credit limit. I wanted to buy gold coins, 3 transaction each for $13,000, a total of $39,000. Since I have a $25,000 credit limit, I knew it wouldn't work. So, I previously mailed Chase a check of $50,000. After the check had cleared my bank, I now had a $50,000 credit on my Chase account. When I made the first $13,000 transaction, I received a fraud alert to which I replied that it was me making the purchase. At the end of the day, I bought $39,000 of gold leaving a credit balance of $11,000. The following week or two, I charged an additional $3,000. Total, I have a credit balance of nearly $8,000. Chase owes ME money. I don't owe them. I have a credit balances on 3 of the other 4 accounts. My Presidential Plus card has a balance of $44 but its not due as my last stmt had a zero balance. Supervisor is supposed to call me but I am very very upset. This will kill my credit rating and I will have to change c/c for my phone, etc.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:17:13 PM by mutchkie1 »

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: CHASE closed ALL accounts!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
I just wanted you to be aware of something crazy. I have 5 Chase accounts (Presidential Plus, Marriott, Saphire, IHG and BA). Today I went to the gas station to fill up my car and my card was declined. I tried another card and it was declined again. I went home and called Chase to find out why. It turns out they closed all my accounts yesterday. I asked them why? I am a lawyer/cpa with a credit rating of approximately 835. It made no sense. The representative said because on review Chase felt that the current monthly charges were much higher than usual and when they close one account, they close all. On my Saphire account ending 3743, I have a $25,000 credit limit. I wanted to buy gold coins, 3 transaction each for $13,000, a total of $39,000. Since I have a $25,000 credit limit, I knew it wouldn't work. So, I previously mailed Chase a check of $50,000. After the check had cleared my bank, I now had a $50,000 on my Chase account. When I made the first $13,000 transaction, I received a fraud alert to which I replied that it was me making the purchase. At the end of the day, I bought $39,000 of gold leaving a credit balance of $11,000. The following week or two, I charged an additional $3,000. Total, I have a credit balance of nearly $8,000. Chase owes ME money. I don't owe them. I have a credit balances on 3 of the other 4 accounts. My Presidential Plus card has a balance of $44 but its not due as my last stmt had a zero balance. Supervisor is supposed to call me but I am very very upset. This will kill my credit rating and I will have to change c/c for my phone, etc.

Any suggestions?
always have accounts with more then one bank!! specially if you use chase, i use chase but have accounts by apple bank, capitol one.
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
I just wanted you to be aware of something crazy. I have 5 Chase accounts (Presidential Plus, Marriott, Saphire, IHG and BA). Today I went to the gas station to fill up my car and my card was declined. I tried another card and it was declined again. I went home and called Chase to find out why. It turns out they closed all my accounts yesterday. I asked them why? I am a lawyer/cpa with a credit rating of approximately 835. It made no sense. The representative said because on review Chase felt that the current monthly charges were much higher than usual and when they close one account, they close all. On my Saphire account ending 3743, I have a $25,000 credit limit. I wanted to buy gold coins, 3 transaction each for $13,000, a total of $39,000. Since I have a $25,000 credit limit, I knew it wouldn't work. So, I previously mailed Chase a check of $50,000. After the check had cleared my bank, I now had a $50,000 on my Chase account. When I made the first $13,000 transaction, I received a fraud alert to which I replied that it was me making the purchase. At the end of the day, I bought $39,000 of gold leaving a credit balance of $11,000. The following week or two, I charged an additional $3,000. Total, I have a credit balance of nearly $8,000. Chase owes ME money. I don't owe them. I have a credit balances on 3 of the other 4 accounts. My Presidential Plus card has a balance of $44 but its not due as my last stmt had a zero balance. Supervisor is supposed to call me but I am very very upset. This will kill my credit rating and I will have to change c/c for my phone, etc.

Any suggestions?

I feel bad for you because you really tried to do everything right here but because of the large amount of activity from swiping schemes and fraud issues with buying groups, this does seem to be common and from others' posts Chase won't reopen the accounts.  Those gold purchases most definitely seem like the culprit, even if they weren't actually for a buying group.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
I just wanted you to be aware of something crazy. I have 5 Chase accounts (Presidential Plus, Marriott, Saphire, IHG and BA). Today I went to the gas station to fill up my car and my card was declined. I tried another card and it was declined again. I went home and called Chase to find out why. It turns out they closed all my accounts yesterday. I asked them why? I am a lawyer/cpa with a credit rating of approximately 835. It made no sense. The representative said because on review Chase felt that the current monthly charges were much higher than usual and when they close one account, they close all. On my Saphire account ending 3743, I have a $25,000 credit limit. I wanted to buy gold coins, 3 transaction each for $13,000, a total of $39,000. Since I have a $25,000 credit limit, I knew it wouldn't work. So, I previously mailed Chase a check of $50,000. After the check had cleared my bank, I now had a $50,000 credit on my Chase account. When I made the first $13,000 transaction, I received a fraud alert to which I replied that it was me making the purchase. At the end of the day, I bought $39,000 of gold leaving a credit balance of $11,000. The following week or two, I charged an additional $3,000. Total, I have a credit balance of nearly $8,000. Chase owes ME money. I don't owe them. I have a credit balances on 3 of the other 4 accounts. My Presidential Plus card has a balance of $44 but its not due as my last stmt had a zero balance. Supervisor is supposed to call me but I am very very upset. This will kill my credit rating and I will have to change c/c for my phone, etc.

Any suggestions?
File with the CFPB.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »
I think they dont like when people overpay on their bill.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
Basically, for most people the high credit limits are a bluff, I learned this long ago, like with Amex charge cards , many years ago I purchased over $100000 in gold coins, I called and got approval for the purchases , a month later they started declining any high charges although the balance was paid in full. Had a similar problem with Citi too. 
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 10:54:51 PM »
Basically, for most people the high credit limits are a bluff, I learned this long ago, like with Amex charge cards , many years ago I purchased over $100000 in gold coins, I called and got approval for the purchases , a month later they started declining any high charges although the balance was paid in full. Had a similar problem with Citi too.

You think it’s the credit limit usage, not the gold? Even if someone’s not doing buying groups, it’s so easy to use for money laundering, etc. they have to have flags in their system for those kind of merchants/sales.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 11:26:23 PM »
Instead of prepaying, had he called Chase in advance and asked for a temporary credit line increase and told them to expect these purchases, Would he have been safe(r)?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »
You think it’s the credit limit usage, not the gold? Even if someone’s not doing buying groups, it’s so easy to use for money laundering, etc. they have to have flags in their system for those kind of merchants/sales.
Yes , it could be.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
BTW: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=93522.0
was started a year ago, for the same problem.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 11:43:15 PM »
Yes , it could be.

Interesting...

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 11:51:42 PM »
BTW: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=93522.0
was started a year ago, for the same problem.
Chase A/A Master Thread was started closer to 8 years ago... but its fun to open new threads
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline mutchkie1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:43 AM »
If they are worried about money laundering then just don't allow gold purchases on c/c. I bought strictly as investment as I have over the last 5 years!

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
Perhaps they don't want you to use their credit card for investments either.

Also, prepaying is a red flag.

Offline mutchkie1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
Spoke to supervisor - what I was able to gather is the purchase of gold coins or bars using a credit card is deemed to be an unauthorized transaction and, therefore, justifies card closing. Her words were basically "we do not authorize the use of our credit card for making investments". She repeatedly asked why I used a credit card than paying by check. I asked her why do I pay my a/c guy by credit card rather than check. Convenience and points. At the end of the year, I receive an expense report showing all my transactions by category. I also told her with gold purchase from Apmex, I would have to either wire them or have them receive a check within 3-5 days of purchase. Then they would have to deposit check and even though it clears my bank in a day, they would wait 5 days. Then after the 5 days they would sort the order and the following day ship the order. I save at least 7 business days using a credit card!

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
Spoke to supervisor - what I was able to gather is the purchase of gold coins or bars using a credit card is deemed to be an unauthorized transaction and, therefore, justifies card closing. Her words were basically "we do not authorize the use of our credit card for making investments". She repeatedly asked why I used a credit card than paying by check. I asked her why do I pay my a/c guy by credit card rather than check. Convenience and points. At the end of the year, I receive an expense report showing all my transactions by category. I also told her with gold purchase from Apmex, I would have to either wire them or have them receive a check within 3-5 days of purchase. Then they would have to deposit check and even though it clears my bank in a day, they would wait 5 days. Then after the 5 days they would sort the order and the following day ship the order. I save at least 7 business days using a credit card!

They have become positively nuts! I am trying to diversify my CC accounts as now I am too heavily "invested" with Chase. I don't want to think what would happen to my credit if G-D forbid all my accounts were closed because s/o had a bad hair day  :-\

Offline DealKiller

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »

Any suggestions?
You tried to circumvent your monthly credit limit and got caught. My suggestion is learn from your mistake. 

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 10:29:47 PM »
They usually do not even give a reason why they shut you down.

Offline DealKiller

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
They usually do not even give a reason why they shut you down.
This shutdown was a no-brainer.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 02:56:34 AM »
Love me or hate me. I still love you.