Author Topic: Cord cutting... what am I forgetting...  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Cord cutting... what am I forgetting...
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »
I was kind of surprised a couple of searches for cord-cutting didn't seem to turn up any threads, so I figured I'd start one.

I am currently in the process of cutting the cord, and I am curious what other people's experiences have been, and what am I missing?

Currently I am paying verizon about $220/mo for phone TV and Internet. I've tried changing my package a few times, but every time I call them, the switch either leaves me with a) Less programming, b) more costs or c) both.

Here is my goal:
- TV being replaced by PS VUE (~$55/mo after taxes and fees)
- Phone being replaced by Ooma (~$5/mo on the 'Free' plan, which is only taxes and fees)
- Sticking wih FIOS for Internet, ~$55/mo with 200/200mb

All told, that's about halving my monthly outlay. (FYI, I don't factor in Amazon Prime Video and Netflix). I also realize that:
- I will like pay for Sony's sports package during the football season to get Redzone ($40 for the season)
- I will need to figure out a way to watch hockey - (in the NY Area all 3 hockey teams, and the Knicks are on MSG, which doesn't seem to be carried by that many streaming providers). My hope is that MSG will come to PS Vue - or I will find a way to get my hockey some other way.

So for those of you who have already cut the cord, what am I forgetting? Is there a pitfall or some other gotcha that I am not thinking about?

(To clarify, I know that there are other options out there for these services, some of which might be cheaper or even free, but I am wondering what else is impacted by this that I am not thinking about? For example, I know that on VOIP, if my internet or power is out, I have no phone service, totally get that)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:23:08 AM by Yonah »

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: Cord cutting... what am I forgetting...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »
For example, I know that on VOIP, if my internet or power is out, I have no phone service, totally get that
If you are using FIOS for phone, I'm pretty sure this is already true. Unless you still have your phones connected via copper wire.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »
If you are using FIOS for phone, I'm pretty sure this is already true. Unless you still have your phones connected via copper wire.

Not quite. Fios has a battery backup that last for about 24 hours that makes our landline jacks seem like they're connected to copper. Thankfully,  I've never been without power than for more than a few hours.  There have been times where I've been without Internet/TV for a few days, but have worked around it.

At this point,  my kids all have cell phones, so the need for a landline isn't as important.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
Not quite. Fios has a battery backup that last for about 24 hours that makes our landline jacks seem like they're connected to copper. Thankfully,  I've never been without power than for more than a few hours.  There have been times where I've been without Internet/TV for a few days, but have worked around it.
Cool!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.