Author Topic: Traveling With Infants Questions  (Read 10901 times)

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Traveling With Infants Questions
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:42:52 AM »
I'm the one who cares about points, etc :-)
Off topic: I'm concerned about the car seat base getting banged up and was thinking of putting it inside a suitcase. What do others do? Dan, I know you just checked yours in for Florida - what did you put it in?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:28:16 PM by Dan »

Offline Devorah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Off topic: I'm concerned about the car seat base getting banged up and was thinking of putting it inside a suitcase. What do others do? Dan, I know you just checked yours in for Florida - what did you put it in?
ask them for one of those big, thick plastic airline bags

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
not all airlines give those to you. if youre that concerned, they sell these bags you can stick it into before gate checking, search amazon

Online flyingace

• View Profile
If you check the baggage link on CO.com they will tell you what the infant is entitled to. They do have a luggage allowance plus equipment.

Offline mickeyg

• $336 Israel Deal Finder
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, UA Silver, DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AVIS President's Club, Hertz #1 Gold
As a continuation of Devora's question......My wife and I are booked to go to Israel for Sukkos and we are traveling with a 7-month old. The tickets were booked under my FIL who has platinum. Additionally, I have silver. I believe that both my wife and I get 2 bags free each, but in terms of the baby's things. We are checking a stroller and bringing the car seat to gate check. Will we have to pay to gate check the car seat?
I have nothing witty to write here....

Offline dvol

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Delta is now charging for 2nd luggage as of Oct. 1 To TLV: $60 for the 2nd checked bag if paid online, $75 if paid at the airport:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/travel_tips/travel_fees/index.jsp

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Delta is now charging for 2nd luggage as of Oct. 1 To TLV: $60 for the 2nd checked bag if paid online, $75 if paid at the airport:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/travel_tips/travel_fees/index.jsp
No shock there.
US to follow I'm sure very shortly.

I put the car seat base and the bugaboo bassinet into a suitcase and checked it through.  The bugaboo frame was gate checked without a bag and was fine.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
what about the car seat itself? did you put it into anything if/when you gate checked it?

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
sorry, one more baby-related question: for a 5 month old, do people here think it's necessary to bring the car seat base along with the car seat for travel in Israel?

Offline mickeyg

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, UA Silver, DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AVIS President's Club, Hertz #1 Gold
Wow....totally got skipped over....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
did you put it into anything when you gate checked it?
Nope.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Will we have to pay to gate check the car seat?
No

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Traveling With Infants Questions
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
I bought a car seat holder for $15 I check it in reg for no cost on continental and most airlines. As a car seat is a free checked item. Done it many times and have yet to have had a prob.
I haven't done it as I get free checked bag with continental anyways. But in the car seat bag there is plenty room to throw in a few additional items at no cost. They never actually opened the bag to confirm it really was a car seat.

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling With Infants Questions
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
traveling for 4 years with kids on various airlines and speaking ime...  you're always allowed to check a car seat and stroller for a lap child, as well as bring a diaper bag onboard (besides for your carryon).     whats allowed to be gate checked, and what other luggage theyre entitled to, varies by arline and domestic/international.                  any car seat that's worth it's name will have no problem getting banged around with the checked bags.    the lining of the seat, though, may get wet (if it's raining) or possibly dirty, etc.  ymmv, though in many many flights, the problems i've had have been rare.         strollers on most airlines you can get it gate checked in which case i think there's rarely a problem.   regular checked strollers i don't have much experience with, but my guess is that if it's a sturdy stroller there shouldn't be any problems.  again, the lining of the stroller might get wet, dirty, etc.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Jet Blue provided me with a big garbage bag for my car seat (no charge for car seat or bag).  I've also checked strollers/car seats without bags and they did not get banged up at all.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline mickeyg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
So....because we have an Uppababy Vista which is HUGE to shlep around the airport, we are checking that with our baggage, in the uppababy bag which guarantees that if it gets damaged during the flight or mishandled, uppababy will pay to have it fixed or replaced. Then I bought a cart from Britax ($80 on amazon) that the car seat LATCHes onto and we are going to use that as a makeshift stroller through the airport for our 7 month old.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
sorry, one more baby-related question: for a 5 month old, do people here think it's necessary to bring the car seat base along with the car seat for travel in Israel?

anyone have thoughts to share about this question?

Offline mickeyg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »
If you're renting a car, then yes it might be easier. If you plan on using the buses and taxis, then the base is not necessary.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
I wouldnt  bother bringing the base at all. I have flew a handful of times with my daughter in her car seat...  I never took the base - the car seats fits fine in a car without the base (it seat belts in) and why bother the shlep

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
anyone have thoughts to share about this question?
no.. i dont think a base is necessary at all! its just as safe to belt the car seat into the car... and why wud you wanna schelp it all the way to israel! on another note- i just flew to israel from ny- and i actually brought 2 strollers, one BIG convertible car seat (i bought a bag to put it into from marshalls for 20$, and good thing i did cus the bag came back a bit ripped on the bottom.) Their very not careful with the luggage i find (strollers always come back with a nick somewhere!) AND i got a 10 kilo luggage piece for the infant (i flew delta) which i didnt know b4 hand.. and ive done some pretty crazy traveling with a child and 4 carryons + diaper bag + backpack +laptop bag..., moral of the story- its not worth the schlepping!!
So....because we have an Uppababy Vista which is HUGE to shlep around the airport, we are checking that with our baggage, in the uppababy bag which guarantees that if it gets damaged during the flight or mishandled, uppababy will pay to have it fixed or replaced. Then I bought a cart from Britax ($80 on amazon) that the car seat LATCHes onto and we are going to use that as a makeshift stroller through the airport for our 7 month old.
Why are u schlepping your uppababy here to israel? u live here? or traveling for vacation? cus thats crazy to do that schelp... find s/o that can lend u a light weight travel stroller, or buy one (its cheaper than the bag you bought) cus even if uppa baby guarantees theyll fix it why would u wanna bother with that? another idea is that you can post online if s/o is looking to bring in a travel stroller form america- and ull bring it in and use it for the time your here- there are always ppls looking to bring in strollers...