Author Topic: Switch name on WN res w/o paying more points  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Switch name on WN res w/o paying more points
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
I have a reservation to fly WN on Sunday with 2 of my kids, and a separate reservation for a different kid to fly the same route on Monday. Plans changed, and the kid on the Monday res needs to come with me, and one of the kids on the Sunday res needs to fly on Monday.

When I called WN for help, they said they can't just switch names on a res, and to reissue it now in another name, I'll have to pay the significant difference in points between when I originally booked it cheaply and the current last-minute fare.

They said sometimes WN Customer Relations will waive the upcharge as a courtesy, but they have limited hours and I haven't yet reached them. Anyone have any advice or BTDT in a similar situation? I already tried HUCA once, but got the same answer.

One other option I thought of is that because the kids are minors who don't need ID, maybe I should just keep the res's as is and hope one minor can pass for another, though there is a 6-year age gap between them if check-in, TSA, or gate agents were to actually look at them. Is DOB printed on the boarding pass, and am I taking a big risk to consider this?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Switch name on WN res w/o paying more points
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
DoB isn't printed anywhere. But the TSA agent can ask the child their name.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Birth certificates don't have pictures.  They should each fly using the other kids name.
Although that may require an explanation to the kids to avoid a 'bad chinuch' situation.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
Birth certificates don't have pictures.  They should each fly using the other kids name.
Although that may require an explanation to the kids to avoid a 'bad chinuch' situation.

Wait you are gonna explain to your kid why they are lying to avoid a "bad chinuch" situation?

And the reason for lying is?

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:51:54 PM »
tell the kids to use the other kids name because you made a mistake
if tsa probes further, show the itin for next day and say it was a mistake

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
tell the kids to use the other kids name because you made a mistake
if tsa probes further, show the itin for next day and say it was a mistake

first of all. Original post clearly says plans changed but even if we say it was a mistake that still says to kids that when you make a mistake its ok to lie.

What happens when the kid gets in an accident because they ran a stop sign. do they say it was a mistake so its ok to lie and claim they came to a full stop?

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I will try today with WN and see if I get anywhere. If not, they want about 29k points just to reissue the existing reservations in new names, which seems like a lot. As I said though, the kids in question are 17 and 11, not exactly able to pass for one another to anyone checking the DOBs.

Any worries that checkin will take a closer look at them when I drop off my checked luggage? I know that TSA often asks their names, but is it a dumb idea to even consider having the kids lie to TSA about their identity, and what's the worst-case scenario for trying?

Also, I just realized that the 11yo now flying Monday will need to fly as an unaccompanied minor, so I assume that at least that res needs to be switched to his correct name and DOB, since he wouldn't be able to pull off flying alone on a res for a 17yo, correct?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

Also, I just realized that the 11yo now flying Monday will need to fly as an unaccompanied minor, so I assume that at least that res needs to be switched to his correct name and DOB, since he wouldn't be able to pull off flying alone on a res for a 17yo, correct?
Besides not passing as a 17 yo.  Can he really navigate airline travel himself?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
I would have to pay $50 for WN to give him unaccompanied minor status, which allows an adult to accompany him to the boarding gate, and to pick him up when he exits. It's a nonstop flight, so I'm not too worried about him coping, just about WN and TSA letting the kids on to bookings in other names.