Author Topic: Qantas FF changes imminent?  (Read 7437 times)

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Qantas FF changes imminent?
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:44:15 PM »
I saw this article about imminent changes to the Qantas frequent flyer program.  I hope it doesn't hurt...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plans-major-overhaul-of-frequent-flyer-scheme

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Qantas FF changes imminent?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »
Qantas Frequent Flyer and its parent Qantas Loyalty group remain a reliable river of gold – if not platinum – for the airline.

In the first six months of the 2018 financial year Qantas Loyalty posted a $175m profit, more than twice that of the airline's international flying and contributing almost 25% of that period’s group-wide pre-tax earning of $871 million.

Yet LY management still doesn't seem to get it.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:42 AM »

One of the great mysteries of this game, along with things like (i) did EK demand that AS devalue the AS EK chart, (ii) why don't hotels like accepting award bookings considering near rack rate reimbursement at 90-95+, and (iii) how is Doug Parker still CEO of AA?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
I saw this article about imminent changes to the Qantas frequent flyer program.  I hope it doesn't hurt...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plans-major-overhaul-of-frequent-flyer-scheme

... you mean like raising LY redemptions by, say, 44%?  ;D
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:03:55 AM »
... you mean like raising LY redemptions by, say, 44%?  ;D

More or less ::)

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 03:52:51 AM »
Are El Al flights usually full? I don't think I've ever flown them.

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
One of the great mysteries of this game, along with things like (i) did EK demand that AS devalue the AS EK chart, (ii) why don't hotels like accepting award bookings considering near rack rate reimbursement at 90-95+, and (iii) how is Doug Parker still CEO of AA?
there are hundreds of airlines and FF programs worldwide. LY is obviously frowned upon here due to the predominant members base here that is either based in Israel or wishes to travel there but i would be very surprised if there arent countless other airlines that probably dont have such favorable programs either. maybe not a points system that needs to be multiplied by 50 to compare but nonetheless. for starters, no DL award chart. AA limited to no saver availability for premium routes. and then others in other markets like UIA for example

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »
there are hundreds of airlines and FF programs worldwide. LY is obviously frowned upon here due to the predominant members base here that is either based in Israel or wishes to travel there but i would be very surprised if there arent countless other airlines that probably dont have such favorable programs either. maybe not a points system that needs to be multiplied by 50 to compare but nonetheless. for starters, no DL award chart. AA limited to no saver availability for premium routes. and then others in other markets like UIA for example
Yea, nobody here likes DL or AA either.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »

There are two issues with LY, the one that you mention (an archaic non-friendly system, with no airline redemption partners, etc.), and the other one - which was the point I was making, that LY management doesn't seem to realize that the loyalty program can (and possibly should) be a major profit center. The same cannot be said about DL, who seem to have mastered creating a loyalty program that earns skypesos - probably making it extra profitable.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
There are two issues with LY, the one that you mention (an archaic non-friendly system, with no airline redemption partners, etc.), and the other one - which was the point I was making, that LY management doesn't seem to realize that the loyalty program can (and possibly should) be a major profit center. The same cannot be said about DL, who seem to have mastered creating a loyalty program that earns skypesos - probably making it extra profitable.
I told that to LY. They said that there's no way to run it that way in Israel  ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
this is way too fast
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
Hopefully it will just be changes for earning and burning on QF metal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
maybe bec its down under, it will be positive

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »
I told that to LY. They said that there's no way to run it that way in Israel  ::)
What does that nonsense even mean?

And regarding there being 50 or 100 airlines "just like LY" who also don't have engaging (and extremely profitable) FF programs, I'd note:

1) none are likely as technologically advanced as Israel;
2) none are likely run by (one wouldtl think) profit-motivated, intelligent, successful jew-folk

Etc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
What does that nonsense even mean?

And regarding there being 50 or 100 airlines "just like LY" who also don't have engaging (and extremely profitable) FF programs, I'd note:

1) none are likely as technologically advanced as Israel;
2) none are likely run by (one wouldtl think) profit-motivated, intelligent, successful jew-folk

Etc

Based on my 2 interviews with them, they just don't get it.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
Based on my 2 interviews with them, they just don't get it.

Just like (from what it seems to me) they don't seem to get it that their biggest asset are their customers.

There is something about the Israeli mentality/pride that seems to lead them to think that customers should be thankful to them for the opportunity to fly under an Israeli flag, with ex-IDF pilots (who Israeli culture saw at the crème de la crème of Israeli society, let alone mankind). And while they might pay lip service and thank people for flying ELAL, from what I've seen it doesn't project in their actions (and definitely not in their crisis management). Just take their arrogant PR stance in conditioning an interview on review and approval prior to publication, and not bothering to even respond to a media outlet that is focused on air-travel with a huge contingency of people that travel regularly to Israel. Now tell me, what do they get?
-- Dan

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
There are plenty of not US airlines that are making a killing by selling their miles to US banks.
If Israelis won't buy it, let them sell it to Americans.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
There are plenty of not US airlines that are making a killing by selling their miles to US banks.
If Israelis won't buy it, let them sell it to Americans.
I told them that. Even offered to help craft it.

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 02:04:59 PM »
I believe that these secular Jews won’t be able to sleep if they know that Frum Jews are getting to good of a deal with points. They don’t care if it’s good for their business or not.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
I don't know.. I actually think El Al seems correct here in their doubt.

It's easy to talk about DL, AA, QF, etc. but those programs have massive credit card deals and large populations.

Israel does not have that, and most likely the Israeli card issuers would never offer such lucrative accrual/signup bonuses - i.e. less purchasing of points by institutions.

As for selling to U.S. banks/issuers - who exactly???  El Al isn't in any alliance, so what would people do with those points?  Israel is not London/Paris/Rome/etc.