Topic Wiki

Selling On Amazon
    When signing up for an account there are two options. If you're just starting out, get the Individual Plan, you can upgrade the account whenever you want.

Individual Selling PlanProfessional Selling Plan
    $0.99 fee for each item sold. If you sell 40+ items/month, you will need the Professional plan.  Flat fee of $39.99/month and more powerful and flexible tools to manage inventory, reports, feeds and access to web services.

Amazon is an amazing platform that offers great opportunities for starting a business and making money. However when starting out, take it slow.
    There is much to learn and get used to. Before investing all your savings on a product you hope will quickly turn a profit take the time to familiarize yourself with the system.
    Perhaps start out with a smaller investment just to get your feet wet. Go through the basic guidelines offered by Amazon here.

Below are tips, clarifications and insights from members of this forum. Feel free to pitch in or ask you questions.

Some factors to consider before investing in a product to sell:

1) Price: How much did the item cost you? Have you taken into account shipping costs (both to you and to the customer)? Will you have to pay taxes? Amazon keeps a percentage of every sale (including shipping fees). It’s 15% for most product categories besides a few like electronics that are 8%. You can see the full schedule of fees here. There are several online tools to help you price your products including an FBA Revenue Calculator here and an Amazon built iOS app. A quick way to figure out how much you’d need to charge just to break even after amazon fees is to take the total product cost and then multiply it by 1.1766 (for 15% fees) or 1.087 (for 8% fees).

2) Velocity:  How fast will the item sell? It's nice to find a product for $10 that you can flip for $100.  But if you’ll only sell 1 a year, it won’t be a very good investment. The best way to determine the velocity of an item is to check the sales rank. Sales rank indicates the popularity of a product compared to other products in its category. The lower the ranking the more popular it is. The iOS app has sales rank baked in too. To get a proper feel for the turnaround time of an item, you'll need to dip your toes in slowly. Note: An item may have a great sales rank due to a recent sale, make sure to check price history on camelcamelcamel.com or keepa.com to get a better picture of the real price and rank of an item.

3) Return Rate: Even after you sold a few laptops and tablets profitably, you'll have to take into account that a buyer may want to return the item. Certain items have higher rates of return, so make sure to take that into account when deciding whether it's profitable/worth your effort to sell the item.

Fulfilled By Amazon (FBA):
    The seller sends the items to Amazon warehouse. Amazon takes care of fulfilling the order, and customer service related to the order.

Pro's Of FBA
    Con's Of FBA
    • Easier to get in the Buy Box
    • You're able to offer Prime shipping
    • For anything above $300, Amazon only charges the standard referral fee. This actually makes FBA cheaper when you take the discounted shipping to Amazon into account.
    • If you have a large or heavy item, shipping the item to the customer can be expensive especially if it is going to a residential address. If you send that item to amazon FBA charges will be much lower than your shipping would have cost. (Including shipping it to FBA)

• Returns (See this post for a more detailed explanation)
      • Returns are accepted without any restocking fee.
      • Items that are Damaged/missing parts are taken back.
      • Since Amazons is super lax on returns, your return rate will be significantly higher.
      • Refunds may harm your cash flow. When a buyer selects "Return" on his order history, often Amazon will immediately issue him a refund, and debit your account.
    • If the item is not a fast selling item, it will sit in their warehouse. Amazon charges a fee for every 30 Days an item remains their warehouse, it is usually a tiny fee, but it adds up.

Q: How can I move inventory from one ASIN to another ASIN without having them returned on FBA listings?
    A:
    Before I Teach you guys the method you must keep 2 things in mind:
    1) This Method isn't guaranteed! As we all know how seller support is operating, Since this processes involves them its only about %95 accurate but its still a YMMV!
    2) This is kind of grey whether its in violation of Amazon's policy so i do not take responsibility if you get hit!
    Its a 4 step process make sure to follow them properly! Follow this link

Q: If I have 3 items to send into FBA and they are splitting me to 3 different locations. Can I ship all 3 items to one location?
    A:
    Yes, you can choose "Inventory Placement Service" in FBA settings to send all your inventory to one nearby warehouse. Amazon charges an additional fee ($.30, CMIIW) per item.
    Note: That even once your inventory reaches Amazon, if Amazon is moving it to a different warehouse, the item will be "back-ordered"

Q: I'm having a hard time finding a box for a large product, can I just ship with the box the way it came from the store?
    A:
    There might not be a clear cut answer for every scenario. But, some have sold many large printers through FBA, by just putting the shipping label directly on the box and not having an issue.

Q: What is considered case pack when sending in items to Amazon FBA?
    A:
    Case pack is when all the items in the box are from the same ASIN.

Q: I'm doing FBA shipping for the first time. and it says "prep required". What does that mean?
    A:
    Prep Required means there is some preparation for the products that will need to be done before it could be added the the Amazon inventory. Typically, it is either labeling the items, taping the boxes shut, or poly bagging. If you do not prepare the items yourself, Amazon can/will do it for a charge.
    Q: What is the buy box? How do I win the buy box?
    A:
    The Buy Box is the box on a product detail page where customers can begin the purchasing process by adding items to their shopping carts.
    To give customers the best possible shopping experience, Sellers must meet performance-based requirements to be eligible to compete for Buy Box placement. All Buy Box eligible offers are then further evaluated to determine the Buy Box winning offer. One "New" and one "Used" condition offer, as applicable, will receive Buy Box placement.

Q: What is an A-Z claim?
    A:
    When you buy from third-party sellers on Amazon.com, the condition of the item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the A-to-z Guarantee.
    Therefore, a buyer may open a claim if the above is not met to his expectations.

Q: I have an item that is handmade how do I go about selling it on?
    A:
    Create your own listing and buy a UPC code.

Q: Any advice on packaging and shipping?
    Check the Shipping Master Thread

Q: Why are some items on Amazon missing the Amazon sales rank number?
    A:
    Go to add a product > sell yours  it should be in the top right corner. If it's not there usually it means no one bought yet.

Q: How do you compare Ebay/paypal fees to Amazon fees?
    A:
    Depends on the category. For a lot of categories,Please Update Categories it may be cheaper, as with Amazon there is just one fee, but for eBay sales there also is a Paypal fee.

Does the Amazon sales rank mean a lot when researching a product to sell?
    A:
    Yes

Q: How do I get customers to leave feedback (I tried emails)? I sold multiple items
    recently and no feedback yet
    Please Update

Q: I Got an email from a buyer where's my stuff? I have a Fedex/UPS delivery confirmation signature. How should I go about this?
    A:
    Firstly, tell the buyer that UPS/Fedex shows that it was signed for, and they should check if the item was delivered to a neighbor, from desk of building ect... Next open an investigation from your end with UPS/Fedex to have them do research and contact their driver of what may have happened to this item. It all depends on how co-operative the buyer is, on exactly how to precede. If they are trying to scam you, then there is not much as a seller you could do. They may open an A-Z claim (you would have to weigh your options if it is worth having a claim) Amazon may or may not grant it in your favor. I have never had this with Amazon. Such a claim is not typical.
    What is more common is if there was no signature, and tracking shows it was delivered, and the buyer is claiming they have not received it.
    For myself - Fedex has reimbursed me multiple times with such instances

Scams
    Q: I posted an expensive item on Amazon. Somebody sent me a message, asking to clarify the condition of the item is (it was clearly stated in the description), along with a request to reply to his own email, and he'll pay through PayPal. Is there anything this buyer can so to screw me over, after I send him the item? Anything else I should know?

A: SCAM SCAM SCAM. There is NO reason you should EVER do this. There is a reason why Amazon has this policy. This is how the scams works.
    The guy sends a FAKE email from an email account such as paypal1@realpaypal.com. In reality no money was sent to your account and its bogus. The scammers are hoping that you will think that you got the money and will send the item.
    You should report it to paypal each time. beware! always check your paypal account if the money came.
    Another reason not do this-you will get kicked off amazon for good,sometimes competitors set this up.[/list]

Commonly used resources

A List of lots of links to resources commonly used in Amazon selling
    http://www.asgtg.com/amazon-services/

« Last edited by mgarfin on January 02, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »

Author Topic: Selling on Amazon Master Thread  (Read 975643 times)

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
      • View Profile
    • Programs: I wish all...
    Re: Selling on Amazon Master Thread
    « Reply #4440 on: September 08, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
    Any recommendations for a service that takes care of shipping for online store?
    Shipstation?
    Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline RL366

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4441 on: September 10, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
    Looking to Rent 3K Warehouse space in Lakewood . Please PM

Offline david@wholesaleschoolwear

• DansDeals Copper Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4442 on: September 23, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »
    WE BUY TRUCKLOADS!
    Are you stuck with merchandise you can’t sell?
    Do you need the space in your warehouse?
    Do you have returns, discontinued, chargebacks, damages or unmanifested merchandise?
    NO PROBLEM!
    WE BUY IT ALL!

Amazon Returns, Retail Returns, Unsellable, Unwanted, Outdated!
    With Over 60,000 Buyers both in US and Overseas at our disposal, we are bound to help move it for you.
    We Pay Up Front, and Arrange the freight.

Must be Palletized and Fill a Truckload. No Closeouts or High Sku Qty’s
    Email me at DavidC@departmentstoreliquidations.com
    or DM me

Offline E.c

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4443 on: November 12, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »
    Pls forgive the noob question/issue...

I accidentally was signed up for the professional selling plan for both the UK And Japan. I only realized this after I was charged. Fortunately UK amazon was willing to refund me no problem.
    Japan amazon has no interest in refunding me even though never even used the service. Is this something I can dispute with my cc, or do I risk a U.S amazon shutdown? I'm only talking about $50 not $100s but it feels like such a waste...
    I would appreciate anyone's feedback, thanks.

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4444 on: November 12, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »

I accidentally was signed up for the professional selling plan for both the UK And Japan. I only realized this after I was charged. Fortunately UK amazon was willing to refund me no problem.
    Japan amazon has no interest in refunding me even though never even used the service. Is this something I can dispute with my cc, or do I risk a U.S amazon shutdown? I'm only talking about $50 not $100s but it feels like such a waste...
    I dont know if it will affect your US account, but why risk your business for $50?

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4445 on: November 12, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »

I am clueless about selling on Amazon, bit would amazon us be able to help at all if you call them up?

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4446 on: November 12, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »
    I dont know if it will affect your US account, but why risk your business for $50?
    I definitely agree but was just wondering what people think about it. Especially considering that Japan amazon said their policies differ from the U.K and other marketplace and its a separate entity...

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4447 on: November 12, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
    I am clueless about selling on Amazon, bit would amazon us be able to help at all if you call them up?
    I tried emailing the U.S amazon support as I'm unable to call do to the fact that I have a individual selling plan. They basically said u have to take it up with the japan amazon marketplace

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4448 on: November 13, 2020, 07:53:44 AM »
    Just received this email from amazon:
    We received a report from a rights owner that you are listing counterfeit products. Sellers on Amazon.com are not allowed to create listings or detail pages for counterfeit goods. We removed the content listed at the end of this email. We may let you list this product again if we receive a retraction from the rights owner. Their contact information can be found below.
    My item is obviously not counterfeit and as far as I know he doesn't town a patent as I was allowed to list it. The only issue is that this item was bought on amazon and i learned now that amazon doesn't really allow u to list stuff bought on amazon. so i am worried about showing proof its not counterfeit bec then I may get in trouble with amazon.
    Anyone have a good solution? Thanks

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
    « Reply #4449 on: November 13, 2020, 12:02:15 PM »
    Just received this email from amazon:
    We received a report from a rights owner that you are listing counterfeit products. Sellers on Amazon.com are not allowed to create listings or detail pages for counterfeit goods. We removed the content listed at the end of this email. We may let you list this product again if we receive a retraction from the rights owner. Their contact information can be found below.
    My item is obviously not counterfeit and as far as I know he doesn't town a patent as I was allowed to list it. The only issue is that this item was bought on amazon and i learned now that amazon doesn't really allow u to list stuff bought on amazon. so i am worried about showing proof its not counterfeit bec then I may get in trouble with amazon.
    Anyone have a good solution? Thanks
    Catch 22?
    I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4450 on: November 13, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
    Just starting off on amazon seller platform. Selling an item that needs “approval to sell”?
    What disqualifies me from selling those brands?

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4451 on: November 13, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
    Catch 22?
    Yes. I could decide just to not sell this product as I only have one. A possible issue with is I don't want the seller to get my information and possibly make problems for me, or amazon to see that i never responded. (Admitting in a way product maybe counterfeit)

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4452 on: November 13, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »
    Yes. I could decide just to not sell this product as I only have one. A possible issue with is I don't want the seller to get my information and possibly make problems for me, or amazon to see that i never responded. (Admitting in a way product maybe counterfeit)
    Can you just tell amazon that you don't want the headache of sorting it out and proving it's real, and they should just send the item back to you?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4453 on: November 13, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
    Was it originally purchased from your account or another? How long ago was it purchased? Did you buy it from the person submitting the claim?

What about responding with something along the lines of:
    “I bought it for myself but ended up not needing it, and didn’t want the hassle of returning it (or outside return window) and causing the other seller a loss (shipping / fees etc.) so figured I’d just sell it myself”.
    Include the original order details and apologize that you didn’t realize you weren’t allowed to resell it there. 

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4454 on: November 15, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
    Can you just tell amazon that you don't want the headache of sorting it out and proving it's real, and they should just send the item back to you?
    I am shipping this one not amazon

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4455 on: November 15, 2020, 09:49:37 AM »
    Was it originally purchased from your account or another? How long ago was it purchased? Did you buy it from the person submitting the claim?

What about responding with something along the lines of:
    “I bought it for myself but ended up not needing it, and didn’t want the hassle of returning it (or outside return window) and causing the other seller a loss (shipping / fees etc.) so figured I’d just sell it myself”.
    Include the original order details and apologize that you didn’t realize you weren’t allowed to resell it there.
    Yes to the first and last questions, bought like 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the suggestion I might say something along that line.

Offline E.c

• View Profile
    « Reply #4456 on: November 15, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
    Just starting off on amazon seller platform. Selling an item that needs “approval to sell”?
    What disqualifies me from selling those brands?
    To piggyback off this question I have been selling on amazon for several months now, how long does it take for amazon to allow u to list in the toys and games category. Or is this depending on your sale's record in addition to how long your accounts been open?

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
    « Reply #4457 on: November 15, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
    To piggyback off this question I have been selling on amazon for several months now, how long does it take for amazon to allow u to list in the toys and games category. Or is this depending on your sale's record in addition to how long your accounts been open?
    So I've been selling toys on amazon from day one from when I opened my account roughly 3 years ago, and last year before the holiday season they banned my from selling toys during holiday season, bit for a few $ someone did it for me, and now 2 mo the ago they also requested my toys (private label) to provide safety testing results and certificates
    I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline lakewood34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4458 on: November 15, 2020, 07:51:18 PM »
    Yes to the first and last questions, bought like 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the suggestion I might say something along that line.

a counterfeit black mark against your account is a serious black mark and you don't want that
    If you plan on selling on amazon (as opposed to a side thing to throw up a few items here or there) it will be worth your while to get professional advice.
    i don't know much about this but if you never sold this item they can't claim counterfeit because they never made a test buy and cannot show it's counterfeit
    Its not cheap to hire a professional but if you want along term account on amazon to sell on you should cconsider it

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4459 on: November 16, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
    Are video verifications the norm for new seller accounts?
    My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.