Topic Wiki

Selling On Amazon
    When signing up for an account there are two options. If you're just starting out, get the Individual Plan, you can upgrade the account whenever you want.

Individual Selling PlanProfessional Selling Plan
    $0.99 fee for each item sold. If you sell 40+ items/month, you will need the Professional plan.  Flat fee of $39.99/month and more powerful and flexible tools to manage inventory, reports, feeds and access to web services.

Amazon is an amazing platform that offers great opportunities for starting a business and making money. However when starting out, take it slow.
    There is much to learn and get used to. Before investing all your savings on a product you hope will quickly turn a profit take the time to familiarize yourself with the system.
    Perhaps start out with a smaller investment just to get your feet wet. Go through the basic guidelines offered by Amazon here.

Below are tips, clarifications and insights from members of this forum. Feel free to pitch in or ask you questions.

Some factors to consider before investing in a product to sell:

1) Price: How much did the item cost you? Have you taken into account shipping costs (both to you and to the customer)? Will you have to pay taxes? Amazon keeps a percentage of every sale (including shipping fees). It’s 15% for most product categories besides a few like electronics that are 8%. You can see the full schedule of fees here. There are several online tools to help you price your products including an FBA Revenue Calculator here and an Amazon built iOS app. A quick way to figure out how much you’d need to charge just to break even after amazon fees is to take the total product cost and then multiply it by 1.1766 (for 15% fees) or 1.087 (for 8% fees).

2) Velocity:  How fast will the item sell? It's nice to find a product for $10 that you can flip for $100.  But if you’ll only sell 1 a year, it won’t be a very good investment. The best way to determine the velocity of an item is to check the sales rank. Sales rank indicates the popularity of a product compared to other products in its category. The lower the ranking the more popular it is. The iOS app has sales rank baked in too. To get a proper feel for the turnaround time of an item, you'll need to dip your toes in slowly. Note: An item may have a great sales rank due to a recent sale, make sure to check price history on camelcamelcamel.com or keepa.com to get a better picture of the real price and rank of an item.

3) Return Rate: Even after you sold a few laptops and tablets profitably, you'll have to take into account that a buyer may want to return the item. Certain items have higher rates of return, so make sure to take that into account when deciding whether it's profitable/worth your effort to sell the item.

Fulfilled By Amazon (FBA):
    The seller sends the items to Amazon warehouse. Amazon takes care of fulfilling the order, and customer service related to the order.

Pro's Of FBA
    Con's Of FBA
    • Easier to get in the Buy Box
    • You're able to offer Prime shipping
    • For anything above $300, Amazon only charges the standard referral fee. This actually makes FBA cheaper when you take the discounted shipping to Amazon into account.
    • If you have a large or heavy item, shipping the item to the customer can be expensive especially if it is going to a residential address. If you send that item to amazon FBA charges will be much lower than your shipping would have cost. (Including shipping it to FBA)

• Returns (See this post for a more detailed explanation)
      • Returns are accepted without any restocking fee.
      • Items that are Damaged/missing parts are taken back.
      • Since Amazons is super lax on returns, your return rate will be significantly higher.
      • Refunds may harm your cash flow. When a buyer selects "Return" on his order history, often Amazon will immediately issue him a refund, and debit your account.
    • If the item is not a fast selling item, it will sit in their warehouse. Amazon charges a fee for every 30 Days an item remains their warehouse, it is usually a tiny fee, but it adds up.

Q: How can I move inventory from one ASIN to another ASIN without having them returned on FBA listings?
    A:
    Before I Teach you guys the method you must keep 2 things in mind:
    1) This Method isn't guaranteed! As we all know how seller support is operating, Since this processes involves them its only about %95 accurate but its still a YMMV!
    2) This is kind of grey whether its in violation of Amazon's policy so i do not take responsibility if you get hit!
    Its a 4 step process make sure to follow them properly! Follow this link

Q: If I have 3 items to send into FBA and they are splitting me to 3 different locations. Can I ship all 3 items to one location?
    A:
    Yes, you can choose "Inventory Placement Service" in FBA settings to send all your inventory to one nearby warehouse. Amazon charges an additional fee ($.30, CMIIW) per item.
    Note: That even once your inventory reaches Amazon, if Amazon is moving it to a different warehouse, the item will be "back-ordered"

Q: I'm having a hard time finding a box for a large product, can I just ship with the box the way it came from the store?
    A:
    There might not be a clear cut answer for every scenario. But, some have sold many large printers through FBA, by just putting the shipping label directly on the box and not having an issue.

Q: What is considered case pack when sending in items to Amazon FBA?
    A:
    Case pack is when all the items in the box are from the same ASIN.

Q: I'm doing FBA shipping for the first time. and it says "prep required". What does that mean?
    A:
    Prep Required means there is some preparation for the products that will need to be done before it could be added the the Amazon inventory. Typically, it is either labeling the items, taping the boxes shut, or poly bagging. If you do not prepare the items yourself, Amazon can/will do it for a charge.
    Q: What is the buy box? How do I win the buy box?
    A:
    The Buy Box is the box on a product detail page where customers can begin the purchasing process by adding items to their shopping carts.
    To give customers the best possible shopping experience, Sellers must meet performance-based requirements to be eligible to compete for Buy Box placement. All Buy Box eligible offers are then further evaluated to determine the Buy Box winning offer. One "New" and one "Used" condition offer, as applicable, will receive Buy Box placement.

Q: What is an A-Z claim?
    A:
    When you buy from third-party sellers on Amazon.com, the condition of the item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the A-to-z Guarantee.
    Therefore, a buyer may open a claim if the above is not met to his expectations.

Q: I have an item that is handmade how do I go about selling it on?
    A:
    Create your own listing and buy a UPC code.

Q: Any advice on packaging and shipping?
    Check the Shipping Master Thread

Q: Why are some items on Amazon missing the Amazon sales rank number?
    A:
    Go to add a product > sell yours  it should be in the top right corner. If it's not there usually it means no one bought yet.

Q: How do you compare Ebay/paypal fees to Amazon fees?
    A:
    Depends on the category. For a lot of categories,Please Update Categories it may be cheaper, as with Amazon there is just one fee, but for eBay sales there also is a Paypal fee.

Does the Amazon sales rank mean a lot when researching a product to sell?
    A:
    Yes

Q: How do I get customers to leave feedback (I tried emails)? I sold multiple items
    recently and no feedback yet
    Please Update

Q: I Got an email from a buyer where's my stuff? I have a Fedex/UPS delivery confirmation signature. How should I go about this?
    A:
    Firstly, tell the buyer that UPS/Fedex shows that it was signed for, and they should check if the item was delivered to a neighbor, from desk of building ect... Next open an investigation from your end with UPS/Fedex to have them do research and contact their driver of what may have happened to this item. It all depends on how co-operative the buyer is, on exactly how to precede. If they are trying to scam you, then there is not much as a seller you could do. They may open an A-Z claim (you would have to weigh your options if it is worth having a claim) Amazon may or may not grant it in your favor. I have never had this with Amazon. Such a claim is not typical.
    What is more common is if there was no signature, and tracking shows it was delivered, and the buyer is claiming they have not received it.
    For myself - Fedex has reimbursed me multiple times with such instances

Scams
    Q: I posted an expensive item on Amazon. Somebody sent me a message, asking to clarify the condition of the item is (it was clearly stated in the description), along with a request to reply to his own email, and he'll pay through PayPal. Is there anything this buyer can so to screw me over, after I send him the item? Anything else I should know?

A: SCAM SCAM SCAM. There is NO reason you should EVER do this. There is a reason why Amazon has this policy. This is how the scams works.
    The guy sends a FAKE email from an email account such as paypal1@realpaypal.com. In reality no money was sent to your account and its bogus. The scammers are hoping that you will think that you got the money and will send the item.
    You should report it to paypal each time. beware! always check your paypal account if the money came.
    Another reason not do this-you will get kicked off amazon for good,sometimes competitors set this up.[/list]

Commonly used resources

A List of lots of links to resources commonly used in Amazon selling
    http://www.asgtg.com/amazon-services/

« Last edited by mgarfin on January 02, 2018, 09:07:51 PM »

Author Topic: Selling on Amazon Master Thread  (Read 975627 times)

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
      • View Profile
    Re: Selling on Amazon Master Thread
    « Reply #1320 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
    Such as receiving someone else's damaged item as a return and having no way to verify that it was truly yours or the customer is trying to scam himself a new wtvr. Or like in my case a customer complains about the product not matching the listing or *insert complaint here* and you can't really do much about it because you are held responsible for someone else's product.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
    « Reply #1321 on: September 28, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
    Such as receiving someone else's damaged item as a return and having no way to verify that it was truly yours or the customer is trying to scam himself a new wtvr. Or like in my case a customer complains about the product not matching the listing or *insert complaint here* and you can't really do much about it because you are held responsible for someone else's product.
    I have heard of people that unfortunately abuse Amazon and other sellers.

They would send in used items that are in very poor condition, and list it under used good condition. They would keep their price very high until all the others sell out, hoping that the items they sent in were sold by a different seller...

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1322 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »
    I have heard of people that unfortunately abuse Amazon and other sellers.

They would send in used items that are in very poor condition, and list it under used good condition. They would keep their price very high until all the others sell out, hoping that the items they sent in were sold by a different seller...

Used items are also commingled!?
    Visibly Jewish

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
    « Reply #1323 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
    Used items are also commingled!?
    I have heard about this a while ago, I am not sure now.

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1324 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
    Anyone have any good ideas for companies that private label in the USA?

Offline EMCC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
    « Reply #1325 on: September 30, 2014, 02:39:39 AM »
    Anyone have any good ideas for companies that private label in the USA?
    I do it from China.
    "Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
    « Reply #1326 on: September 30, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
    is there any way that i can keep track of my inventory and import my monthly reports into quickbooks? i thinkt there is a program that does it but i am unfamiliar.

TIA
    #TYH

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
    « Reply #1327 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
    I sent two items to FBA (different items) in the same box about a month ago, but only one of them has been marked as received. I tried using the "Reconcile" tool on the FBA shipment page to submit a claim, but after putting in the details I received an error message that the claim could not be sumbitted. I've tried this now for two days on different computers. What should I do next?
    Thanks!

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
    « Reply #1328 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
    I sent two items to FBA (different items) in the same box about a month ago, but only one of them has been marked as received. I tried using the "Reconcile" tool on the FBA shipment page to submit a claim, but after putting in the details I received an error message that the claim could not be sumbitted. I've tried this now for two days on different computers. What should I do next?
    Thanks!

Contact seller support immediately.
    Visibly Jewish

Offline Newcc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1329 on: September 30, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
    I do it from China.
    What kind of turn around times do you work on?

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
    « Reply #1330 on: October 01, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
    is there any way that i can keep track of my inventory and import my monthly reports into quickbooks? i thinkt there is a program that does it but i am unfamiliar.

TIA
    Bump
    #TYH

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
    « Reply #1331 on: October 01, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
    Bump

Download a report from Reports>fulfillment>inventory and import the file into quick books or excel
    Visibly Jewish

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
    « Reply #1332 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:40 AM »
    Contact seller support immediately.
    Thanks! They're reimbursing the full amount!

Offline EMCC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
    « Reply #1333 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
    What kind of turn around times do you work on?
    Depends on the goods and the quantity...
    "Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1334 on: October 05, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
    Hey guys,

Any advice for me? I have kept zero books since I started selling last December. I need to do them and I am almost completely ignorant of accounting. Assets and expenses, bottom line. Thats all I know. How do I get a list of everything Ive sold and at what price? (most items have multiple sold at different prices)

And what do I need to know for taxes.

I have records of everything Ive spent because I bought on my credit card so Im planning on just going through the statements and identifying business purchases (because of course I have one card for business and personal) So if anyone has a better method for that let me know.

I also dont have excel or quickbooks, so if needed I would be willing to buy.

Thanks 

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
    « Reply #1335 on: October 05, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
    Hey guys,

Any advice for me? I have kept zero books since I started selling last December. I need to do them and I am almost completely ignorant of accounting. Assets and expenses, bottom line. Thats all I know. How do I get a list of everything Ive sold and at what price? (most items have multiple sold at different prices)

And what do I need to know for taxes.

I have records of everything Ive spent because I bought on my credit card so Im planning on just going through the statements and identifying business purchases (because of course I have one card for business and personal) So if anyone has a better method for that let me know.

I also dont have excel or quickbooks, so if needed I would be willing to buy.

Thanks 

I would go to either Reports>Fulfillment>All Orders or
    Reports>Payments>Date Range Reports>Generate>Transactions and download and copy paste to excel.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:38:48 AM by yuneeq »
    Visibly Jewish

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
      • View Profile
    Selling on Amazon Master Thread
    « Reply #1336 on: October 05, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
    Thank you, and in regards to taxes what do I do? I've just been doing everything as a sole proprietor no official business although I do have a llc...

Another thing in regards to taxes, I've bought plenty if not most of my products with tax or no tax because I bought them from different states. How does that affect the tax situation?

Thanks for the help

To clarify I mean that I've bought items and already paid tax on them as a final consumer, and other items have been tax exempt because I bought them from different states

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
    « Reply #1337 on: October 05, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
    Thank you, and in regards to taxes what do I do? I've just been doing everything as a sole proprietor no official business although I do have a llc...

Another thing in regards to taxes, I've bought plenty if not most of my products with tax or no tax because I bought them from different states. How does that affect the tax situation?

Thanks for the help

To clarify I mean that I've bought items and already paid tax on them as a final consumer, and other items have been tax exempt because I bought them from different states

IANAA but I understand that if you didn't pay sales tax for an item, you would have to collect sales tax if you sell to the same state as your business.
    If you have locations in more than one state, you'd need to collect in those too.

If you paid sales tax for the item, you are exempt from collecting tax from the customer even if in the same state.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you have an LLC but you're a sole proprietor with no official business.
    IINM it's one or the other. Regarding income tax, you will need to ask an accountant.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:52:42 AM by yuneeq »
    Visibly Jewish

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
    « Reply #1338 on: October 05, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
    I want to share my experience with a case I had with Amazon; maybe it will help someone.

I bought 6 White/Silver and 2 Space Grey iPad Minis from Best Buy when they were on sale, and I created a bunch of FBA shipments to send them in. One of the shipments was for 1 Space Grey and 2 White/Silver. When it reached the FC, I saw that it had been checked in as 3 White/Silver and 0 Space Grey. At the time I though it was my mistake and I had really received 7 and 1, since I didn't check them when I received them.

Several days later, I got a notification that Amazon had sold and shipped 1 White/Silver. One day later, I got a notification that it was being returned, and they deducted more than I had received originally for the sale, because not all of the fees were returned. Originally they didn't tell me why it was returned, but I later found out the reason was "Item not as expected". This confused me, since it was a sealed iPad Mini. Did they expect it to make them breakfast? :P

The item was returned to the FC, and was listed as unfulfillable, so I put in a removal order. When I finally got it, I opened it up, and lo and behold, it was Space Grey. That's when I realized what happened. I had created the shipment and sent it correctly. Amazon messed up when they labeled it, and entered it into the inventory as White/Silver. The customer ordered White/Silver, so they shipped him this one, but it was really Space Grey, so they justifiably returned it.

I opened a missing inventory case with Amazon, requesting that they make sure that this is what happened. The CSR that responded didn't understand what I meant, so he wrote this:

After reviewing the shipment and inventory, I see 3 items were shipped but may have not been stickered correctly. If all items are shipped, then this is not a "missing inventory" case for the Lost and Found department that I represent.

Fortunately, I am also FBA trained and wanted to share something in my experience with you - granted, the inventory in question has been sold so there's really nothing for me to research.

I believe half of the time Amazon may make the mistake of mis-labeling... and at least half of the time, I've seen manufacturers/shippers make the mistakes. I've seen case after case with photos provided from the fulfillment centers of items in the wrong packaging. When you pay for Amazon labeling, most of the items are closed/sealed and are not opened or they're not considered "New" anymore so all we have to go on for sure is a bar code outside or what you have created in your shipment. I know that manufacturers ship items other than what they have in their inventory more often than expected - one so they don't lose your business and two, possibly just an honest mistake done by one of their own warehouse workers that placed something in the wrong box/package. Sometimes when it comes to electronics, it happens even more frequently because the only difference may be the amount of 'gigabyte' or something that is unseen on the outside. But whether it's them or us, we're all 'human' so mistakes will be made.

So going forward, I've given you a credit of the $.50 for the removal order of that item and $.20 for the labeling/mis-labeling charge, regardless of who's fault it was.
    If you receive negative feedback from this buyer, send me the order ID number and I'll handle it as well.

I apologize for whomever's fault it was and let's both hope it doesn't happen again... or at least anytime soon!

Since he totally missed my point, I opened a new case under Returns, and explained myself more clearly, requesting reimbursement for the fees I had been charged. I also asked for compensation for the fact that that since the customer had opened it, it lost value, since I would not be able to sell it as new anymore.

The CSR that responded to this case understood what I meant. She requested some pics of the item and the packing slip of the removal order showing that they don't match, and then she refunded all the fees, plus 15% of the value of the original sale as compensation.

Bottom line, if Amazon messes up, it is possible to get them to pay for it. Just be clear, and be prepared to HUCA.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1339 on: October 05, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
    I would just open up a missing inventory claim for my space gray.....
    You can say what you think when you think what you say.