Topic Wiki

...Because they are intelligent.
« Last edited by jj1000 on February 16, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »

Author Topic: Why are frum people republicans  (Read 48341 times)

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Why are frum poeple republicans
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Why does that number have to go up?

1) Anyone who owns a share in the corporation is also paying taxes on any money they make through dividends or sale of stock.

2) If you tax (take money away from) the corporations, the corporations are less likely to grow and succeed. They're also more likely to shift operations to other countries, which leaves us worse off than before.

3) If profits go down, people are less likely to invest in the company.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
yeah but look at how little corporate income tax is also- this is why that number must come up and entitlements must go down
thanks for the chart
Taxes on corporations is a classic politicians trick.
I am in a Reading group on Corporate taxation, and we were discussing why people think it makes sense to tax corporations at all.
Corporations are not rich people, they are anybody who happens to own shares in that stock. So, pension funds, 401ks, henche, anyone.

Additionally, the money is taxed anyway when it is distributed to shareholders, so why should we tax it at the corporate level. If you think tax rates on individuals should be higher, just make them higher.

We decided that it is probably that people think of corporations as being "someone else". Nobody pictures themselves as being a corporation, and they don't realize their union pension is the one who owns these big bad corporations.

(Realize, corporate tax existed before individual tax. So it wasn't double taxation back then- it was the only income tax)

In other words, (peirush l'peirushi), taxing corporations is just dumb. It does not target any population segment, and just makes money for tax lawyers. If you want higher taxes on rich people, just say and do that.

But then,
Maybe. But I think it is immoral. It is the tyranny of the majority; Ie, there are more people who are not rich, so we should tax the rich people because we can.
I personally think we can draw much better boundaries, if we wanted to. The danger with ganging up on rich, is I might become rich one day. I think we should tax the asians. We are the majority, so we could get it passed, and then we can just tax them as much as we want.
Even better, we can just enslave them. Then, they will pick our cotton while we have country balls and breed horses.

Using majority rule to gang up on a minority is immoral, even if the target has more money than you.

Justice Thomas also quotes himself in opinions.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
if you make them pay more it doesnt neccesarily mean they will leave
companies have more cash now then ever before and they are still not hiring so if they had less money it doesnt mean unemployment will go up
capital gains tax is really where it needs to be fixed (ask warren buffet)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
if you make them pay more it doesnt neccesarily mean they will leave
companies have more cash now then ever before and they are still not hiring so if they had less money it doesnt mean unemployment will go up
capital gains tax is really where it needs to be fixed (ask warren buffet)

I have already responded to  this as well. Buffet is a rabble rousing idiot.

Obama has encouraged this more than any major politician in my memory. He uses twisted facts to encourage even more than it could be.
Imagine he sits and says that rich people pay LESS taxes than poor people. Firstly, that statistic is only talking about people who earn capital gains income mainly- a small subset of rich people. Secondly, they are still paying far far more money, just a lower rate. Thirdly, half the country pays zero taxes, so they are still paying a higher rate. Fourthly, there is a point where higher taxes actually leads to lower revenue- for ordinary income it is over 60%, but for capital gains it is in the 20%'s, and the law of diminishing returns makes it very unwise far lower than that, it is currently at 15%, which seems about right.

peirush l'peirushi: When you tax people more, they work less. There is  a curve, and at some point, you actually bring less money into the treasury by raising taxes. But, it is unwise to get close to that point, since imagine you are wasting 10 dollars of productivity to bring in 1 dollar of taxes.
For ordinary income, the point of less money is somewhere over 60%. If you raise taxes to 70%, you will have less treasury income than if it is 60%. But having 60% is stupid, since you are wasting lots of productivity for minimal gain.
For capital gains, the point of less money is in the 20%'s. The rate is currently 15%. Raising it would be retarded.

(I use the term retarded, since I am friends with some idiots, and don't like to use their condition as a pejorative.)

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
1. where do u get this number of 15%?
2. the US should really switch toa flat tax for everyone and totally overhaul the tax system
3. i would love to become a rabble rousing idiot like buffet if i also can have a fortune estimated at 50 billion

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
1. where do u get this number of 15%?
That is the current capital gains rate for income above 34k.  26 USC 1(h)
Maybe you meant where do I get the number of 20%'s? I got it from my professor who is a visiting tax professor from Yale.

3. i would love to become a rabble rousing idiot like buffet if i also can have a fortune estimated at 50 billion
;D

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
If you're saying that genuine opinions and common sense are mutually exclusive, I beg to differ.
How did you get to that? I said that examining your views even when it doesnt change your conclusion increases the geninuity and depth of your opinions. At the same time you can discuss and analyze extensively, and yet still have corrupted reasoning. While I personaly prefer a thorough understanding of ideas, I believe the frum communities conservative leanings are mostly common sense based, despite sometimes lacking a more robust understanding of the issue at hand.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »
I know it's somewhat old, but since people liked the last chart, here are some more:

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
comprehensive. thanks
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
I remember a similar more recent thread but searched and couldn't find it so I'll post here:

Offline Yosef_S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum Medallion; UA Mileage Plus - Premier Platinum; AF/KLM FlyingBlue - Gold; Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond; Hilton HHonors - Gold; Starwood Preferred Guest - Gold; National Emerald Executive Elite; Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Good video. People ask me this question all the time. Thanks!
Former DDF Lurker Finally Getting the Hang of Posting...

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
Good video. People ask me this question all the time. Thanks!

The person in the video is Ben Shapiro. For those who don't know, he is a frum politically conservative commentator (as he says in the video) who is extremely intelligent. He is an amazing debater and has written a a number of books (he's 31 years old, btw): http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Shapiro/e/B001JPCHPQ/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1423700765&sr=1-2

He also hosts 2 radio shows every day. He is the Editor-at-Large at breitbart.com and he runs TruthRevolt.org which is a conservative watchdog site.

I have been a fan of his ever since he destroyed at a BDS hearing at UCLA last year:

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Great speaker and would make a good politician.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Great speaker and would make a good politician.
+1

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
The person in the video is Ben Shapiro. For those who don't know, he is a frum politically conservative commentator (as he says in the video) who is extremely intelligent. He is an amazing debater and has written a a number of books (he's 31 years old, btw): http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Shapiro/e/B001JPCHPQ/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1423700765&sr=1-2

He also hosts 2 radio shows every day. He is the Editor-at-Large at breitbart.com and he runs TruthRevolt.org which is a conservative watchdog site.

I have been a fan of his ever since he destroyed at a BDS hearing at UCLA last year:

Great video, thanks! After watching I reserved a couple of his books at my local library!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
Great video, thanks! After watching I reserved a couple of his books at my local library!

You won't regret it. "Bullies" is amazing. BTW, his radio shows are available for free online.  Here's another amazing video:

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:02 PM »
You won't regret it. "Bullies" is amazing. BTW, his radio shows are available for free online.  Here's another amazing video:

Your right, great vid, thanks!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
Good video.
+1. It's sad that some of the most vicious anti-Israel people are jews.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »

If it wasn't so scary, it would be funny how the host keeps talking over him and not allowing him to finish a sentence.