Author Topic: Alaska, soldotna, Kenai River fishing during the salmon run - Trip report.  (Read 1863 times)

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
Alaskan Fishing Adventure

Alaska currently has only one nonstop flight to Anchorage (ANC), departing Los Angeles around 8 PM and arriving at 2 AM. We chose a layover, flying at 11:55 AM via Seattle with a one-hour stop, and landing at 6:35 PM.

While on the plane, I pre-ordered items from Walmart for pickup. Due to unstable WiFi, I missed the initial 7-8 PM pickup slot, shifting it to 8-9 PM instead. After landing, we collected our upgrade a 7-seater Ford Expedition and drove 10 minutes south to Walmart. We arrived around 7:30 PM, cancelled the online order, shopped in-store with the whole family and bought twice as many items as originally planned.

Next, we headed to Sterling, Alaska, near the larger city of Soldotna. The drive was beautiful, with the summer solstice occurring three nights before our arrival, meaning there was virtually no night at all. The daylight increased by six minutes each day thereafter. Even at 11 PM, when we arrived at our Airbnb, it was as bright as the afternoon - a surreal experience.

Our Airbnb host also operates a fishing charter. Aware of the learning curve for salmon fishing, we decided to try the charter on the first day to learn from the experts. We could then fish with the house's gear (which they provide complimentary) on the famous Kenai and Russian rivers. The host kindly gave us a 50% discount for my six-year-old. At $225 plus tax per person for a seven-hour charter, the price was reasonable. Instead of starting at the common 5 AM, we went at 11 AM.

We fished on the less famous Kasilof river. It was a slow day, but I, our guide, and my mother all caught huge, beautiful salmon. Fishing on the Kasilof was serene, with dozens of bald eagles and loons. Some parts of the journey required motor power, others required the guide to row due to low areas. It was incredible with some light white water patches as well. Our guide taught us technique well. Was awesome with the kids and we all had an amazing and fun time.

I caught and lost a dark grey salmon... (They jump out the water often during the fight) Which it turned out was likely a king salmon (limit one per day)..
We saw maybe a dozen bald eagles and some Loons, I couldn't one eating a fish!

The guide filleted the fish on the river bank and gave us the two fish clean. Four sides, and 2 bellies.
We threw two sides and a belly on the portable bbq we bought for dinner with salt and pepper. It was super cool. Tasty, fresh delicious.

That evening, we explored Safeway in Soldotna for kosher food. The bagels were OU not pas Yisroel. But then we discovered the pretzila pas Yisroel pretzel hot dog buns and bagel bites!
We stocked up.

On Day 2, we hiked the Exit Glacier trail in Seward. Just as we started, we saw a huge moose a few feet from the trail. The well-maintained trail was family-friendly, with options for various hike lengths. We opted for the two-hour hike to the bottom of the glacier.
As the glacier melts a beautiful blue/turquoise translucent (not transparent) river flows out and rushes down the mountain and valley. It's really beautiful. The air is incredible.

We then visited the Alaska SeaLife Center, which was a hit with the kids. The highlight was watching the puffins zip around during feeding time at 4:30 PM. Safeway in Seward had OU hummus, guacamole, and rice cakes, but no pas Yisroel bagels or bread.

My mother and I went fishing from 10 PM to 2 AM at Bings Landing on the Kenai River. I caught a large salmon and a massive rainbow trout.

The next day we visited the famous Russian River, where thousands of salmon travel upstream to lay their eggs.

Our guide advised us well - pros love to share tips. But people don't like to be that guy telling you what to do.
So We stopped to speak to a few people coming back and when we found someone who caught his limit of 9 salmon we squeezed out everything.
Which spot, what setup he was using what hook. Details.
We asked him to check our gear and then he said hey let me give you some of my hooks that tied and prepared.
I asked if I could pay and he laughed me off and said don't be silly.
We set off to his spot and started fishing.

The atmosphere was surreal, with a line of fishermen as far as the eye could see.

When we got to the mouth of the river, where the Russian river meets the kenai, we saw the clear Russian river collide with the translucent blue kenai - it was spectacular. we waded in, in our waders from the airbnb and within 15 minutes I had my first salmon. It was quite the thrill.

It was easy to see, there were some people who kept catching. Whether light catches that got off, or ones they managed to stick and others who caught nothing. On average for every 3 you hook, you land one.
Tips like keeping your rod DOWN at counter intuitive for Normal fishing where you keep your rod UP.
Adjusting the weights based on the water flow is another one. Lightly bouncing off the bottom vs floating or dragging your line on the rocks... These are things you need to adjust.
Or... Check someone who catching a lot.. see their weights and copy it.

I caught 3 salmon before we headed back. Had to let one go because the hook was in the fin not the mouth.

We went back later that day and my mom caught a beautiful big rainbow trout. I caught another 3 salmon. It was awesome. As we left at 2:30am the place had already filled up completely. It was insane.

While I was fishing my wife took the kids for a hike along the Russian River, my wife and kids saw a bear catch a fish - a truly incredible sight.
We brought bear spray (supplied by the house free) and they hiked up the Russian river with a stroller. (Yes the bottom was stroller friendly, just four small staircases though to get down).
My wife also caught a video of salmon jumping up a waterfall. An insane sight of the incredible journey these salmon make to lay their eggs where they were born.

The subsequent days were filled with fishing, nature trails, and relaxing. A visit to Fred Meyers led us to discover that had 'La Brea Bakery' bread. They get it par baked and frozen! KSA kosher. They happily gave it to us frozen straight from box. We now had Epic sourdoughs for shabbos.
We then found a kosher section with grape juice which we needed. It also had marshmallows and noodle soups etc.

We spent a day at Kenai Beach and found fish processing services that fillet, vacuum seal, and freeze fish for a fee. We filleted our own, zip locked and froze it. We were lucky to get three salmons with eggs inside so we made caviar!
We YouTubed caviar preparation technique and for bein... It was sourdough/Marys gone crackers and wild Alaska sockeye caviar. Exquisite.

Erev Shabbos saw us baking the sourdough bread (double wrapped) it came out with a beautiful crust and soft fluffy inside and making cholent on our single burner.

We were across the road from the kenai river and a beautiful campground park so shabbos day we walked over watching people fish, and  enjoying the beautiful mountains, and water flowing fast. It was very peaceful.

Our last stop before returning to the airport was the Alaska Conservation Center near Anchorage. We saw caribou, moose, muskox, buffalo, black bears, and brown grizzlies.

Rental car return at national was a breeze.
The airport is small and easy to navigate.
When we finally got home the fish was still frozen solid in just a small light freezer/cold food bag we used.

In summary, the trip was amazing, and I can't wait to return for the salmon run and to try halibut fishing.
Pictures to come.
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sounds awesome!
Looking forward for the pics 8)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
This sounds amazing. Can you post a link to the airbnb?

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Offline g8trgr8t

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • My Albums
Sounds like we may have been there at the same time. Rangers had to kill one brown bear that they tried to haze away and he charged the ranger who shot him. Sad event but this bear ahd apparently charged people int he area before. Glad you hit it at the right time during a big run. For reference, you can check the run numbers on the Russian River weir from 4 years ago to get an indication of what to expect. Glad your family got to see a brown in their natural habitat. The falls are a great place to find them and witness the salmon jumping up the falls