Author Topic: Hertz anti-semitic clerks  (Read 2988 times)

Offline kalmanovich

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hertz anti-semitic clerks
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »
I have experienced the vial anti-Semitic treatment at Hertz in Buffalo NY. On June 29th Saturday night I made a one way reservation as Hertz Gold club member for 12:00 AM pick up at the Buffalo international airport Hertz branch. I arrived with my son on time to pick the car up and was rudely told that they were oversold and there are no cars. Meanwhile the parking lot was full of cars. I mentioned to the clerk. That I have a valid reservation and am a gold plus member and I don't understand how I have a valid reservation and they're not providing me with a vehicle. Now I was told that I can't expect to make a reservation a half an hour before and be given a car if there are people that are not here yet and made reservations much earlier.
NOWHERE in the reservation screen or confirmation email does it even state that it is a possibility.
After I tried to reason with this clerk he proceeded to demand that I leave the counter or he will call the police, which I asked him to go ahead and do. He did call police to intimidate us and refused to provide his name. Police officer Fontana showed up and requested my Id which I don't think was necessary or warranted. His treatment of us was not anti-Semitic, but generally intimidating. As he was standing over us mumbling that we would be better of renting from another agency or we should have planned in advance. After a while officer left and as we were holding for the reservation department we decided to head home. First attempt to speak with the agent didn't succeed the call was lost and the agent did not call back. I called again and after a while got through and asked for the supervisor. She introduced herself as Eds, she put me on hold several times and told me that I am all set to get the car and that she called the local rental desk and put a note in the reservation and I would not have any problems renting this time.
This was around 1:15 am. We went back and when we arrived there was now only one clerk Abdul taking care of the customer. This customer had a problem with a one way rental. Abdul spent 25-35 minutes resolving his issue, overriding system errors, suggesting he switched the rental to return to the same location and calling the customer service next day. Inviting the customer to come behind the counter to look at the computer screen with him (all recorded on my video) the moment I stepped to the counter Abdul rudely told me he will not help me and told me to step aside. He denied receiving any calls and absolutely refused to enter my reservation in the system to check for notes. Being cheered on by a hertz parking attendant Liz they were telling me to step away and that they would call the cops Next Abdul just called the next customer in line to give her a car (there were two other customers each leaving with a car). I made a call to the national number and got through to the supervisor, asking her to call the desk. As the phone was ringing Abdul proceeded to ignore it and did not react but smirked at my request to pick up the phone. After I asked the supervisor to call again Abdul picked up the phone and hung it up right away saying that there was no one on the line. At this time he again refused to serve me and proceeded to close down the desk ignoring my pleas and refusing to talk to the supervisor on my speaker phone. He picked up the stand with dozen of keys on it and left. Supervisor on the phone told me that she will put in a complaint. She told me that the note on the reservation said that I refused to provide my name. I was trying to see if she can arrange a new reservation for 7am and she told me the earliest was 10 am. I asked if she could get a car reserved through the sister company. She told me it was $450 compared to my NY State employee rate of $36. And I would have to try to get it matched after the rental was completed. Having very little confidence in believing anything being promised to me, I decided to just buy a plain ticket for my son for $350. Now this same supervisor promised me I would get a phone call from the local manager on Sunday, which obviously never happened. Not did I hear back from anyone at Hertz. This outrageous anti-Semitic treatment from Hertzs employees without regard for any consequences is unacceptable. The ordeal lasted for 3 hours where not only I lost time and money, I and my son were insulted, intimidated and made feel like inferior unworthy people. So much for the Gold plus club membership.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Hertz anti-semitic clerks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
Sounds like typical bad treatment, don't see why it's particularly anti Semitic.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
Just go in with your shirt untucked, no jacket, but wearing a hat
I guess he must've revealed his religion during the encounter
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »
Sorry that happened to you. Where's the anti-semitism?

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
Sorry that happened to you. Where's the anti-semitism?
Well, others were helped without issues, an Abdul, sure could be what he claims.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Definitely anti semitic. First Jerry, then this OP.
Risk is opportunity

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »

Dont expect any sympathy on this thread no one cares or takes anybody seriously until it happens to them