Author Topic: What insurances do you buy when renting a car?  (Read 12452 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: What insurances do you buy when renting a car?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Silver Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Has anyone tried the insurance adjustor shtick?
i know someone that did and he said it has worked for him (by hertz that is) but every so often ull get that CSR that wont take it off.

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=5290.0
do u care to explain what the numbers mean? i dont get it  - like whats 20/40/10 for Alabama?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:13:46 PM by Cbs »

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
do u care to explain what the numbers mean? i dont get it  - like whats 20/40/10 for Alabama?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Silver Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
so 20/40/10 would mean that the rental company will cover 20,000 for each person injury / 40,000 in total (thats the limit??) / 10,000 for any car or other property i damaged?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
I also buy none

Just wanted to point out - that when you rent a car the car rental covers the basic LI ($10,000) So u really gotta do damage for it to come from your assets. And a lot of personal car insurace companies cover car rentals too

i happened to read the T&C that noone really glances at for a moment and i found this - which i guess agrees with what ur saying. - (by hertz this is:)

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
 :)

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold President's Circle, National Emerald Club Executive, Starwood Gold
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
i happened to read the T&C that noone really glances at for a moment and i found this - which i guess agrees with what ur saying. - (by hertz this is:)

Where is this from? can you post a link?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Where is this from? can you post a link?
its from the little pamphlet they give u (usually) when.u rent. and your rental receipt sits in there (similar to airline ticket booklets they give u)
No link. i snapped the shot

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »
I never buy any insurance when renting.
When they try to convince me, I tell them I already pay monthly premiums to cover myself in case of an accident.

They counter that I should buy to avoid having to make a claim on my insurance and have my premiums go up.

I say back, that basically they want me to buy insurance on my insurance. I pay premiums in case I happen to crash. I don't plan on crashing, and assume that I won't. However, on the odd chance that I do, I want to/have to be covered. So basically they are advocating that I pay even more now, to avoid the eventuality of needing to come on to my insurance!!!!

With that argument, I should always have two different policies on my personal car!!

The same way I am comfortable driving my personal car 365 days a year, even though if I crash my premiums will go up, I am just as comfortable driving a rental car for the weekend knowing that if I crash my premiums will go up!

It's the most ridiculous argument to advocate for buying insurance 'just in case', to make sure you're 'covered'.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
I never buy any insurance when renting.
When they try to convince me, I tell them I already pay monthly premiums to cover myself in case of an accident.

They counter that I should buy to avoid having to make a claim on my insurance and have my premiums go up.

I say back, that basically they want me to buy insurance on my insurance. I pay premiums in case I happen to crash. I don't plan on crashing, and assume that I won't. However, on the odd chance that I do, I want to/have to be covered. So basically they are advocating that I pay even more now, to avoid the eventuality of needing to come on to my insurance!!!!

With that argument, I should always have two different policies on my personal car!!

The same way I am comfortable driving my personal car 365 days a year, even though if I crash my premiums will go up, I am just as comfortable driving a rental car for the weekend knowing that if I crash my premiums will go up!

It's the most ridiculous argument to advocate for buying insurance 'just in case', to make sure you're 'covered'.
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »
only time I bought any insurance- when my car was in the body shop,  and insurance is paying for the rental, the credit card wont cover cdw, since you are not paying. your own insurance would cover it if you have collision, but to me is was worth it, since the rental agency (enterprise) is very picky and could charge for every little thing. On my own car if it was a small thing i would just leave it. Never paid for liabilty except in TLV

Offline businessmachine

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
what about for us regular non drivers who do not have car insurance. If we reject the liability or any other insurance covered, will my credit card protect me in case of an accident g-d forbid?

I will be in HI and Las Vegas in about two weeks and am very worried about this

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
only time I bought any insurance- when my car was in the body shop,  and insurance is paying for the rental, the credit card wont cover cdw, since you are not paying. your own insurance would cover it if you have collision, but to me is was worth it, since the rental agency (enterprise) is very picky and could charge for every little thing. On my own car if it was a small thing i would just leave it. Never paid for liabilty except in TLV
u would do better paying for an upgrade
a lot of ccs don't require the entire rental to be paid for
any portion would qualify

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
what about for us regular non drivers who do not have car insurance. If we reject the liability or any other insurance covered, will my credit card protect me in case of an accident g-d forbid?

I will be in HI and Las Vegas in about two weeks and am very worried about this

for people like us, all we have is cdw from our CC's....if we want liability coverage we need to buy it from the rental company unless you like risk and are ok with a 10k minimum....it's an extra $13 a day but you have peace of mind