Author Topic: What insurances do you buy when renting a car?  (Read 18452 times)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Re: What insurances do you buy when renting a car?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
well i dont own a car so i dont know what ppl do about that insurance, i just know that i dont want to get stuck having to pay thousands of dollars if something goes wrong C"V - i get why most ppl dont buy (which is new to me btw - i thought everyone gets LI) but on the other hand i dont think its the smartest thing to do

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
I have a gut feeling that some of the insurances they try to sell you are borderline scams, correct me if I'm wrong.

In NYS renters are mandated to supply I think 25,000 dollars of liability (which will always be in the contract). They will always get you to buy their "million dollar policy" or the like. The question we have to ask is would this really be of help:
-How much of a chance is there that you will be in an accident that will exceed that 25,000 dollars?
-Even if you do exceed the 25,000, say you hit someone and disabled him for life, would a million dollar policy help you? probably not too much.

Thus, how much of a chance/risk is there that you will benefit from what they sell you?

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
Do as you choose... as seen most people dont buy insurace

Also I think the better question to ask is why people take the minimum on their car they drive every day, but when it comes to renting a car for a few days they buy full coverage??  :o

If u don't buy LI when renting then the rental agencies will be your default insurance.  When that happens, they will charge a "deductible" for using it ehich can be very costly

If u get sued for an accident that happened with your own vehicle -- even if u have minimum insurance I think the insurance is the that's going to take the hit/hire lawyers to fight it.
with a rental car, the lawsuit is on u with no insurance backing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:47:26 PM by Saver2000 »

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
That is correct the a main purpose of the LI is a scam - to make the rate higher (prob the same reason why in israel its madatory even with MCW) I was renting in a enterprise in lakewood, and they have a weekend special its like $25 a day and they dont charge for shabbos, But  to get this rate LI is mandatory - which makes it not such a deal.

Also I was reading a write up from a x enterprise guy and he did say that the whole LI is just a way to fool you into cheaper rate... he said that at the counter you could say you'll take LI, but after they print the paper then you could decline it, and then get the lower rate

@cbs - I also agree what you are saying... but on a rental just be more careful.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
If u don't buy LI when renting then the rental agencies will be your default insurance.  When that happens, they will charge a "deductible" for using it ehich can be very costly

true that was mentioned OP

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 01:50:23 PM »
That is correct the a main purpose of the LI is a scam - to make the rate higher (prob the same reason why in israel its madatory even with MCW) I was renting in a enterprise in lakewood, and they have a weekend special its like $25 a day and they dont charge for shabbos, But  to get this rate LI is mandatory - which makes it not such a deal.

Also I was reading a write up from a x enterprise guy and he did say that the whole LI is just a way to fool you into cheaper rate... he said that at the counter you could say you'll take LI, but after they print the paper then you could decline it, and then get the lower rate

@cbs - I also agree what you are saying... but on a rental just be more careful.
There was a post about how to get a good deal when renting from enterprise which included like 5 nice tips, i think it was in the "corporate code round" up thread, who also mentioned this.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »

i heard that as well - after u rent u can call and tell them u didnt want it -- something like that.

and as for being more careful, thats obvious. but the reason ur getting the insurance is bec of a maybe.
point is - i think its a bit risky but i guess not as crazy as i thought

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »

The article u are talking about is here

http://consumerist.com/2007/03/9-confessions-from-a-former-enterprise-rental-salesman.html

And posted here

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=128.msg109153#msg109153
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:05:01 PM by Saver2000 »

Offline Cbs

• View Profile

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »
This article seems like all those corny "what does X not want you to know about Y," where they typically go ahead and tell you exactly what they want you to know.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline henche

• View Profile

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Has anyone tried the insurance adjustor shtick?
i know someone that did and he said it has worked for him (by hertz that is) but every so often ull get that CSR that wont take it off.

http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=5290.0
do u care to explain what the numbers mean? i dont get it  - like whats 20/40/10 for Alabama?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:13:46 PM by Cbs »

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
do u care to explain what the numbers mean? i dont get it  - like whats 20/40/10 for Alabama?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
so 20/40/10 would mean that the rental company will cover 20,000 for each person injury / 40,000 in total (thats the limit??) / 10,000 for any car or other property i damaged?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
I also buy none

Just wanted to point out - that when you rent a car the car rental covers the basic LI ($10,000) So u really gotta do damage for it to come from your assets. And a lot of personal car insurace companies cover car rentals too

i happened to read the T&C that noone really glances at for a moment and i found this - which i guess agrees with what ur saying. - (by hertz this is:)

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
 :)

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
i happened to read the T&C that noone really glances at for a moment and i found this - which i guess agrees with what ur saying. - (by hertz this is:)

Where is this from? can you post a link?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Where is this from? can you post a link?
its from the little pamphlet they give u (usually) when.u rent. and your rental receipt sits in there (similar to airline ticket booklets they give u)
No link. i snapped the shot

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »
I never buy any insurance when renting.
When they try to convince me, I tell them I already pay monthly premiums to cover myself in case of an accident.

They counter that I should buy to avoid having to make a claim on my insurance and have my premiums go up.

I say back, that basically they want me to buy insurance on my insurance. I pay premiums in case I happen to crash. I don't plan on crashing, and assume that I won't. However, on the odd chance that I do, I want to/have to be covered. So basically they are advocating that I pay even more now, to avoid the eventuality of needing to come on to my insurance!!!!

With that argument, I should always have two different policies on my personal car!!

The same way I am comfortable driving my personal car 365 days a year, even though if I crash my premiums will go up, I am just as comfortable driving a rental car for the weekend knowing that if I crash my premiums will go up!

It's the most ridiculous argument to advocate for buying insurance 'just in case', to make sure you're 'covered'.