Author Topic: Travel To/From Israel Without Passport?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Travel To/From Israel Without Passport?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
According to my knowledge you can't decline citizenship of a place that you were born in...you can give It up when your 18 though..
You can. Once in a while the airport agent requests to see the certificate of revocation.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
When I saw the header of the thread it reminded me of my first encounter with the Israeli system as an adult.
I never learned in Israel and my background is from Satmar.
I went to Israel once as a child as 11 years old for a Rosh Hashanah, but that was it.
When I traveled for the first time with my wife to Israel, it was for a short trip, we left JFK Thursday afternoon, and were scheduled to be back Monday morning,  Lag Baomer was that year on a Sunday.
When we arrived at the customs in Israel - BTW it was still the old airport, and we had to travel with a bus to the terminal - we realized that we don't have our passports with us. We knew and they knew that we had a passport in NY when we departed JFK, otherwise I wouldnt be able to get on the plane. 
It was a few years after 9/11, we were a young couple a few years after the Chasunah without kids.  You can imagine the stress I had as I was the one who held the passports and I even filled out the forms on the plane.
It was Friday afternoon, about 1pm, we were scheduled to be for Shabbos in Jerusalem, by a family member. We took the latest Elal flight out of NY, because my wife should miss the least work.
I had a Drivers license from NY, but my wife didn't have any other ID on her. They sent people to the plane to look for the passport, but came back empty handed. I begged them to let me go check, but they refused.
We were sure we will spend Shabbos in the best case scenario in the Airport, and sent back Moitzai Shabbos to the US. We just hoped not to be sent to a jail/detention center for over Shabbos. BTW at the old terminal spending a whole shabbos was not a luxury at all, it was not like today that the airport is a city for itself.
To make a long story short, they interrogated both of us for a few minutes in seperate rooms, and they saw we were full fledged chareidim and US citizens. They even joked with us about making Aliyah.
Knowing we made arrangements to be shabbos in Jerusalem, they tried rushing the paperwork, and they let us in the country, with just a copy of an ID which a family member faxed over from the US.
Sunday morning we got a call from Elal lost and found that they found the passports.
I must say it gave us a whole new perspective on the Israeli government. I am sure if this would happen in the US, with a foreign citizen, they wouldn't let them in with temporary paperwork.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
To make a long story short, they interrogated both of us for a few minutes in seperate rooms, and they saw we were full fledged chareidim and US citizens. They even joked with us about making Aliyah.
Knowing we made arrangements to be shabbos in Jerusalem, they tried rushing the paperwork, and they let us in the country, with just a copy of an ID which a family member faxed over from the US.
Sunday morning we got a call from Elal lost and found that they found the passports.
I must say it gave us a whole new perspective on the Israeli government. I am sure if this would happen in the US, with a foreign citizen, they wouldn't let them in with temporary paperwork.
Wow.

Now the point of trying to convince you to make aliya wasn't a joke. Once you become an Israeli you get a different kind of treatment (worse).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
Wow.

Now the point of trying to convince you to make aliya wasn't a joke. Once you become an Israeli you get a different kind of treatment (worse).

They knew we won't make Aliya.
Are a regular Israeli citizens treated by their government different than a regular US citizen by his government?

I am not saying I am not proud to be a US citizen, but if someone was born an Israeli citizen he should be happy with his country the same as someone born in UK or France etc.
Anyway we Yiden believe everything is מן השמים, so everyone should be happy with his חלק.
That's not to say you shouldn't try to better your situation.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
You can enter with an israeli. In order to leave you need a paper from Misrad Hapnim.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
When I saw the header of the thread it reminded me of my first encounter with the Israeli system as an adult.
I never learned in Israel and my background is from Satmar.
I went to Israel once as a child as 11 years old for a Rosh Hashanah, but that was it.
When I traveled for the first time with my wife to Israel, it was for a short trip, we left JFK Thursday afternoon, and were scheduled to be back Monday morning,  Lag Baomer was that year on a Sunday.
When we arrived at the customs in Israel - BTW it was still the old airport, and we had to travel with a bus to the terminal - we realized that we don't have our passports with us. We knew and they knew that we had a passport in NY when we departed JFK, otherwise I wouldnt be able to get on the plane. 
It was a few years after 9/11, we were a young couple a few years after the Chasunah without kids.  You can imagine the stress I had as I was the one who held the passports and I even filled out the forms on the plane.
It was Friday afternoon, about 1pm, we were scheduled to be for Shabbos in Jerusalem, by a family member. We took the latest Elal flight out of NY, because my wife should miss the least work.
I had a Drivers license from NY, but my wife didn't have any other ID on her. They sent people to the plane to look for the passport, but came back empty handed. I begged them to let me go check, but they refused.
We were sure we will spend Shabbos in the best case scenario in the Airport, and sent back Moitzai Shabbos to the US. We just hoped not to be sent to a jail/detention center for over Shabbos. BTW at the old terminal spending a whole shabbos was not a luxury at all, it was not like today that the airport is a city for itself.

Just by the way Israeli Law Of Return mandates that any Jew be permitted entry to Israel.

That being said, Israelis including the govt, although aggressive on the outside will always care for each other.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jmz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »

Mark my words. They wont even ask for your BC when you go with the actual BC.
Wish I can say you were right but unfortunately not. I gave the copies first and then she said I need the originals.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
You can. Once in a while the airport agent requests to see the certificate of revocation.
Interesting. They don't really give those out anymore. I'm assuming this is no longer an issue for those born in Israel in the last ~10 years