Author Topic: the best use for / most value for AMEX MR points  (Read 1471 times)

Offline paygeh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
the best use for / most value for AMEX MR points
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
I have ~400,000 Amex MR points
I'd like to poll the esteemed browsers & kibitzers of this board:

a. If I'd like to cash out - where could I get the most $$ for these points? (what are they worth?)
b. Where can I maximize value if I want to use these for travel?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: the best use for / most value for AMEX MR points
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
 nice Stash

There are several carriers you can move them to, BUT before doing that make sure you can book the free tkt you want and make sure if its in Biz or 1st that all the Flights or at least the Long ones are in Biz or 1st. some Carriers (eg CO) will show that Biz is avalble but only after you go to book it all the way thru does CO notify you that say the TLV-EWR flight is in Coach but that the EWR-BOS is in 1st and CO will charge you for a Biz tkt, I believe they will refund you the difference if you dont actually get into Biz but many people would have booked another flight as they wanted to be in Biz

I know of several caes where the person moved the Pts to a Carrier only to find out that they couldnt get a free tkt to where they wanted to go and when they wanted to. Once moved you cant transfer them back!

also if you arent an Elite with a Carrier if you want to change you destination or Flights or dates it will cost you dearly so make sure you know exactly what you want from the get go

also say you move them to UA and want to go to TLV well UA doesnt fly there but many of its Partners do so then youd have to call up UA and see if any of their Partners have availability

I cant stress enough Dont Move any pts till you can confirm you can get what you want!!