Author Topic: How to do Sukkos in Jerusalem  (Read 1776 times)

Offline KafZechus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to do Sukkos in Jerusalem
« on: June 22, 2023, 11:33:05 AM »
How do people stay in Jerusalem for sukkkos? The brand-name hotels are prohibitively expensive and booked up. Does everyone who goes just have family to stay with? I'd be super grateful for any tips about hotels/B&Bs that are sukkos-friendly that won't break the bank. (Or is the hack to do an AirBnB and rent a sukkah from somewhere? Or just to go somewhere other than Jersulem? If so, where?)
Thank you!

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How to do Sukkos in Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 04:14:35 PM »
Marry rich?

Offline Yaakov7

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 05:05:50 PM »
Maybe try to contact j getaways. WhatsApp number is 9293882760
כל מקום שאני הולך, אני הולך לארץ ישראל

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 05:10:33 PM »
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »
How do people stay in Jerusalem for sukkkos? The brand-name hotels are prohibitively expensive and booked up. Does everyone who goes just have family to stay with? I'd be super grateful for any tips about hotels/B&Bs that are sukkos-friendly that won't break the bank. (Or is the hack to do an AirBnB and rent a sukkah from somewhere? Or just to go somewhere other than Jersulem? If so, where?)
Thank you!
U deff dont have to break the bank to find a apartment with a sukkah but most nice apartments with 3 + bdrm go for top $$$ especially in "the area", air bnb has options but they are usually further out, and then there are a ton of agents that can potentially help out
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 11:46:57 AM »
They had 2nd to last min great deals too

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 12:12:18 PM »
Thank you!
My apt would be cheaper, but it isn't particularly nice - just functional. I do have a sukkah on an attached porch, though.
Follow this link, and if it might be nogea, PM me.

Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »
I'm not going to take the opportunity to rant about it....

To be helpful:
Don't expect to stay in high demand areas for cheap.
Try givat shaul, kiryat moshe, har nof, french hill...
or even ramat shlomo, ramot, neve yaakov, bayit vegan, gilo

if you need multiple bedrooms, see if renting a smaller apt + yechida nearby is cheaper...

Online herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 12:17:37 AM »
Going with the family iyh!
Moms a little stressed out about all the details and making all the meals and stuff out of some small kitchen. Plans on making mostly in US and bringing with. Any suggestions and tips to help out would be appreciated.
TIA

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 01:58:56 AM »
Moms a little stressed out about all the details and making all the meals and stuff out of some small kitchen. Plans on making mostly in US and bringing with. Any suggestions and tips to help out would be appreciated.
TIA

Keep in mind you do have the risks of A) delayed bags... B) being unlucky enough to be stopped in customs and getting it all taken away and/or fined (less likely but still a risk).

from https://www.gov.il/en/departments/faq/faq_personal_import
The Ministry of Health has defined the types of food prohibited and permissible for personal import, including their weight and quantity.

Food products permissible for personal import

Personal import of products permissible for personal import does not require furnishing of a certificate or compliance with conditions, but you may be required to complete a declaration about the nature of the goods when you receive the shipment.
In a personal import, you can import up to 15 kilograms of food products in a shipment, but no more than 5 kilograms of a specific product.

Exceptions:

Spices: you can import up to 5 kilograms per shipment, but no more than 500 grams of one type of spice. Furthermore, saffron is limited to 20 grams only.
Prepackaged dietary supplements: you can import up to 20 items in a shipment, but not more than 5 items of one specific type of product.
Food products for athletes, prepackaged in powder and/or liquid form based on protein, carbohydrates and fats: you can import up to 10 kilograms per shipment.
Food products prohibited for personal import
Products containing animal ingredients (meat, fish and raw or pasteurized milk)
. This, apart from canned food containing meat products, canned food containing fish products, hard cheese, boxed milk powder, and canned dairy products.
Infant and toddler food formula (stages 1, 2 and3) and food formula specially intended for infants and toddlers.
Products containing a dangerous drug as defined in the Dangerous Drugs Ordinance [New Version], 5733-1973.
Products registered as a preparation according to the Pharmacists Regulations (Medical Preparations) 5746-1986.
Products containing herbs as defined in the Pharmacists Regulations (Conditions for Opening and Managing Pharmacies and Medicine Storage Rooms) 5742-1982.

I'll tell you what I told my parents when they came:
Hadar Geula or the like is your friend.
If you have family here you can ask them to make some stuff for you.
You're coming to experience EY on sukkos calmly, you can make do with a more simple YT menu then you are used to at home.
There are personal caterers here.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 02:02:57 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 04:10:39 AM »
Keep in mind you do have the risks of A) delayed bags... B) being unlucky enough to be stopped in customs and getting it all taken away and/or fined (less likely but still a risk).
I'll tell you what I told my parents when they came:
Hadar Geula or the like is your friend.
If you have family here you can ask them to make some stuff for you.
You're coming to experience EY on sukkos calmly, you can make do with a more simple YT menu then you are used to at home.
There are personal caterers here.
+1 on the risk and on the survival method. I will add one thing: the takeout places have a selection, but if you want to avoid the intense spices you will have a far narrower selection. And regarding the caterers (especially the American-style ones), they often close for orders very early.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 05:36:10 PM »
TIA
I know people that make EVERTHING here and shlep it all along
I have been doing this for a couple years now here's pretty much what we do,
The 1st time we went we hired a PC and it was an utter disaster (thank gd we bought along some meat) so that's was the last time we did that.
Challa u can get good in IL or u can bring the par baked from sterns just make sure they don't defrost on u
Fish we buy there and bake/smoke ( i bought a weber kettle in IL)
Soup sometimes we make here and sometimes not but if we do i will vacuum pack them as well and freeze, another idea is to bag them tie it and put into containers.
Meat we take along both raw and Smoked and were talking 20 duffle bags worth of meat everything gets vacuum packed and we deep freeze them.
sides we buy there and make.
as far as how we pack them in the beginning we use to use PB bags then we switched to cheap duffle bags we put in a egg box for stability, i would not recommend taking just egg boxes as I've heard lots of stories about them.
If you going to take lots and lots of food it might be worth investing in a solid vacuum chamber.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 05:39:27 PM »
were talking 20 duffle bags worth of meat
Wow. How many people are you feeding?

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
Wow. How many people are you feeding?
we had aproxx 30 to 50 a meal

Online JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 05:50:30 PM »
Any notable experiences with customs or lost luggage? What about spoilage or leaking?

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 06:07:12 PM »
Any notable experiences with customs or lost luggage? What about spoilage or leaking?
spoilage never, leaking almost never, customs was pulled once went thru Xray and they let me thru