Topic Wiki

ExGingi posted link to an interview (full text copied here) with Rabbi Zushe Posner (who has been an educator for over 50 years) in English version of the Beis Moshiach magazine. Rabbi Posner unique style, of demanding of himself (and others) intellectual honesty, even when it gets uncomfortable was dubbed truth shock jock by gozalim.

In response to the OP, Yard sale asserted it to be "Undiluted kefira". In response to an inquiry by ExGingi, Yard sale brought two quotes from the interview to ostensibly prove his point, but brought no argument as to why said statements would qualify as "Undiluted kefira". ExGingi asked if his claim is because he believes that Tzimtzum is to be interpreted literally (צמצום כפשוטו). To which Yard sale tried to argue that "above quote is clearly not referring to Tzimtzum dilo kipshshuto the way ein sof is extant in you, me, and my pet rabbit. It is clearly referring to the Rebbe specifically in a unique way, as is evident from the continuation of the article."

As to the second quote ostensibly claimed to be Kefira, some tried to explain what a Rebbe is, while ExGingi disclaimed all such explanations quoting from the interview "...if I could explain it, well then that’s not a Rebbe." While for the first quote ExGingi offered a simplistic English explanation saying that "Once we understand ... that עולם is a concealment of the true being, then if something (or someone) is less of a concealment, then the true being appears "more present" in it (or through it)."

At a certain point Yard sale seemed to start retreating or slightly mellow down the tone from his original statement/accusation.

At that point doodle interjected in response to ExGingi's quote that we cannot really explain the situation, positing that "Or you were plain wrong . The Rebbe is not Moshiach. He never said he was anyway . It would have been amazing if he was , but he wasn’t ... Intellectual honesty and openness of thought is important."

ExGingi being always ready for an honest intellectual challenge (though not always having the time for a timely response) fully agrees with the demand for Intellectual Honesty (later claiming that this might be the main point Rabbi Posner was actually trying to bring across in the interview) and followed up with the challenges:
  • "How well versed are you in the Rebbe's talks and writings (to be able to say that he "never said he was")?
  • How well versed are you in the topics of גאולה and משיח from Jewish sources? From Chassidus? From the Rebbe's teachings?"

doodle jumped right at the first challenge, asking whether ExGingi "say(s) the Rebbe said he's moshiach? If yes, from where?" to which ExGingi responds that he is unaware of the explicit words being ever said by the Rebbe, but claims a propensity of material authorized for publication by the Rebbe implies that it would be intellectually dishonest to say that "the Rebbe "never said he was"."

chinagel requested clarification from ExGingi whether he is "of the opinion that the Rebbe held he was moshiach? Do you still think he must be moshiach?" To which ExGingi's terse response was "yes and yes".

In an interesting twist, Yard sale himself then brought a Hebrew quote that offers the same explanation that ExGingi offered earlier to the עצמות ומהות מלובש בגוף statement.

Dan decided to interject with a link to Wikipedia (which was then quoted by Yard sale) alleging that the Rebbe clearly told a journalist that he is not Moshiach, and that said interchange is recorded. [said "proof" is quoted by Wikipedia referencing an exchange between Tomer Persiko and Rabbi Chaim Rapoport, Persiko (who isn't quoted in current thread) offers a response to Rabbi Rapoport, but rather than going that route ExGingi, being honest and open minded searched for same recording to no avail, and challenged all to come up with it. chbochur reports that he inquired with various contacts at JEMedia (which Rabbi Rapoport alleges holds such recording) and none seem to be aware of such, he then reached out to Rabbi Rapoport himself who said he needs to dig it up, we patiently await it.]

With a few more questions thrown about, to which others might have offered some responses, at a certain point ExGingi said that he is "waiting for responses to my questions/inquiries before I publicly respond to others."

After some noisy nonsense introduced by none other than our dear friend CBC (what a surprise) who was given undue credibility by aygart, Yehuda57 offered a response to the ostensibly Kefira statement brought in the interview "if the Rebbe, G-d forbid … then we can stop putting on t’fillin, chalila". Yehuda57's response has several parts, first and foremost he asks whether "those people stop putting on tefillin?" And then went on to say that "perhaps there is just a slight chance they were saying extreme things as "shock jocks" in order to make a seperate point which may or may not have been excusable in context but appears blasphemous typed out coldly 30 years later?" after some additional noise from CBC and followup by aygart, Yehuda57 added that "if you are working on a premise that it is possible a Lubavitcher could believe that any reason at all is enough to make him stop putting on tefillin, then we have nothing to discuss."

When aygart responded to that with pleasure in finding out that said premise is flawed, he asked "how is one supposed to take such a statement?" ExGingi replied with an allegation that accepting such a baffling statement כפשוטו when referring to people whom you know to be שומרי תומ"צ, indicates a lack of Yiras Shomayim. While Yehuda57 went into a little more detail and another example, stating that if on'es "baseline, like others here, is that Chabad = kefira, no amount of contextualizing will change that, to the point that you could absurdly say Chabad hides their true beliefs."

After some more noise, the בעל אכסניא offered his regular english explanation of the עצמות ומהות מלובש בגוף statement, while separately making disparaging comments about the magazine where it was quoted. A third time must have been the charm, along with a disparaging comment about the source by Dan, and seemingly נחה דעתו of R' Yard sale.

After some additional back and forth noise regarding various "factions" within Lubavitch, Yard sale gave the thread an interesting turn, acknowledging that "It’s easy to smugly look down on others but the  Litvaks have their own problems; last I checked צפיה לישועהis also one of the י״ג עיקרים yet few of them take moshiach seriously. Sure we give lip service to the idea multiple times a day, but who is really interested in giving up all the good stuff we have here? It’s like some foreign concept that most of us espouse  מן השפה ולחוץ." Dan made some serious allegations about how he heard friends in non-Chabad school talking and from there discussion went OT about school vs home education, including proper attitude towards emphasis of שכר ועונש and attitude towards non-Jews.
« Last edited by ExGingi on July 14, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

Author Topic: BM Magazine Articles  (Read 55452 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: BM Magazine Articles
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
Everybody said "it doesn't make sense" because they don't understand it.
FTFY

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

Yes, those all spoke to me more than the speakers HAC would bring in telling us how we were going straight to hell for all of our sins, so we better shape up ASAP :)
I don't know about HAC, but the mainstream schools in Lakewood don't talk like that at all, and it's totally not the mehalech of Chinuch.

If I didn't respect you I'd think you're outright lying. But it probably is a mixture of exaggeration and reremembering (to fit the picture that was painted to you of non Chabad chinuch after you left HAC).

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Just got me some fresh popcorn. Please don't disappoint.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:14 PM »
It is a nationwide problem. It’s not exclusive to the Litvaks. Chabad happens to stand out as a group that makes it into an everyday concept. The problem is not really new and pointing it out is certainly not rooted in sinas chinam.

There's only one problem, you singled out Litvaks.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
FTFY
Read the thread again. Literally nobody said that. Bring an example if you really think so.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Hopefully things have changed in the past 25 years. But we had that exact mussar shmooze in 7th grade and I found it off-putting enough to beg to go away from home and try another path.

Rafi comes home with stuff from his rebbes teachings that bother me deeply, including views on gentiles that clearly affects how the kids act towards their afternoon English teacher. When I try to correct some stuff he asked why his Rebbe tell him sheker. Not fun :(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:27 PM »
Hopefully things have changed in the past 25 years. But we had that exact mussar shmooze in 7th grade and I found it off-putting.

So one mussar shmooze defines non-Chabad chinuch? Basically you were exaggerating.

(BTW, IMHO they don't talk about עונש enough, שכר should be spoken about 10x more than עונש, but there's gotta be more mention of עונש, there is something called יראת העונש that I feel our דור is missing.
And like you said even more should be spoken about דביקות וקרבת אלוקים, as your בעל התניא and my שו"ע הרב said
 "איך וויל זע גאָרניסט, איך וויל ניט דיין גן-עדן, איך וויל ניט דיין עולם-הבא, איך וויל מער ניט אַז דיך אַליין")

Peace.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:47:37 PM by Baruch »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2019, 10:47:47 PM »
So one mussar shmooze defines non-Chabad chinuch? Basically you were exaggerating.

(BTW, IMHO they don't talk about עונש enough, שכר should be spoken about 10x more than עונש, but there's gotta be more mention of עונש, there is something called יראת העונש that I feel our דור is missing.
And like you said even more spoken about דביקות וקרבת אלוקים, as your בעל התניא and my שו"ע הרב said
 "איך וויל זע גאָרניסט, איך וויל ניט דיין גן-עדן, איך וויל ניט דיין עולם-הבא, איך וויל מער ניט אַז דיך אַליין")

Peace.
No. It's a general hashkafa that is too focused on schar and onesh while losing focus on the bigger picture. That was merely what broke the camel's back.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »
No. It's a general hashkafa that is too focused on schar and onesh while losing focus on the bigger picture. That was merely what broke the camel's back.
Schar and Onesh together is definitely more of a focus in non Chabad schools (btw, schar according to the Mesilas Yesharim is deveikus BaHashem). You made it seem like it's an Onesh focused chinuch.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
I don't know about HAC, but the mainstream schools in Lakewood don't talk like that at all, and it's totally not the mehalech of Chinuch.

If I didn't respect you I'd think you're outright lying. But it probably is a mixture of exaggeration and reremembering (to fit the picture that was painted to you of non Chabad chinuch after you left HAC).
+1
Hopefully things have changed in the past 25 years. But we had that exact mussar shmooze in 7th grade and I found it off-putting enough to beg to go away from home and try another path.

Rafi comes home with stuff from his rebbes teachings that bother me deeply, including views on gentiles that clearly affects how the kids act towards their afternoon English teacher. When I try to correct some stuff he asked why his Rebbe tell him sheker. Not fun :(
I guess this need to go in the pros and cons thread. You need to move to Lakewood.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:42 PM »

The rabbes definitely need to do a better job in educating our kids to act respectful to all people including gentiles, while still teaching them to look down on the goy and their low lifestyle, which is crucial for our kids to be proud to behave and to be part of the "עם הנבחר".

Thousand apologies for you Dan, but in all honesty I believe that glorifying a goyish sports champion and yearning to get his autograph for your little boy isn't ideal for that matter. Feel free to discuss with your LOR of course.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2019, 11:47:56 PM »
This has officially become the "this is my hashkafa and everyone else is wrong" thread

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »
Chabad beliefs?
Like Ahavas yisroel, no matter what the yid looks like or practices?
Serving hashem not out of reward or punishment but as someone you want to be connected to?
Doing mitzvos with joy to make this world a dwelling place for hashem, which is how we can prepare for Moshiach?
Learning chassidus to know how to be closer to hashem and to fulfill what Moshiach promised the besht?
Traveling while trying to uplift the sparks in that place and realizing that there's a reason you're there?
Imbuing the mundane and our work with bechol derachecha dayayhu?

Yes, those all spoke to me more than the speakers HAC would bring in telling us how we were going straight to hell for all of our sins, so we better shape up ASAP :)
To you question - chabbad beliefs?

Yes, the things you listed are just fine. But those are not the beliefs that others will say are problematic.

You all know what I'm talking about. - Let's just say that the whole entire fundamental relationship to and with the creator that Rafi is learning in school, is radically different then the way exgingi lives and worships.  He is being taught that there is one gd that has a personal relationship with every Jew. - There is no memutza, azmus, all seeing and powerful watching rebbeh in the mix etc. Etc.

This is so very fundamental it's suprising that you seem to be so oblivious..

I know for a fact that some people just won't disclose their true belief here anyway, but I thought you were actually not playing that game... Now I don't know.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
Illustration:

Chabad chinuch: Teacher to students: " let's all daven and do mitzvos and make the Rebbeh proud".

Standard chinuch: Teacher to students: "let's all daven and do mitzvos to make HASHEM proud".

This I have seen and heard with my own ears more than once at regular chabad mosdos.

The difference in the chinuch is just so fundamentally striking to me.. I don't even understand how a chabad kid can grow up with such mixed messages.

If the Rebbeh is the most important thing in the world at home, how can't he be worshiped at school?

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »
I went to a litvishe yeshiva that is considered one of the top yeshivos. I don't remember a single shmooze where schar and onesh was the main point. Neither was the general hashkafa in any way focused on that. It was more of, what's a persons tafkid in life and doing ratzon hashem.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
The rabbes definitely need to do a better job in educating our kids to act respectful to all people including gentiles, while still teaching them to look down on the goy and their low lifestyle, which is crucial for our kids to be proud to behave and to be part of the "עם הנבחר".
There is no way to instruct people to look down on someone while retaining respect for them. The situation got pretty out of hand in his class and I don't think it's fair to the kids to be taught that.

Why can't we praise our lifestytle without shaming anyone else?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »
I went to a litvishe yeshiva that is considered one of the top yeshivos. I don't remember a single shmooze where schar and onesh was the main point. Neither was the general hashkafa in any way focused on that. It was more of, what's a persons tafkid in life and doing ratzon hashem.
I guess that's why it's a top yeshiva.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
To you question - chabbad beliefs?

Yes, the things you listed are just fine. But those are not the beliefs that others will say are problematic.

You all know what I'm talking about. - Let's just say that the whole entire fundamental relationship to and with the creator that Rafi is learning in school, is radically different then the way exgingi lives and worships.  He is being taught that there is one gd that has a personal relationship with every Jew. - There is no memutza, azmus, all seeing and powerful watching rebbeh in the mix etc. Etc.

This is so very fundamental it's suprising that you seem to be so oblivious..

I know for a fact that some people just won't disclose their true belief here anyway, but I thought you were actually not playing that game... Now I don't know.
Once again, you're mixing up the 99% with the 1%. But OK.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
+1
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
+1

Out of curiosity, has this changed over the past 50 years? I was there 22-30 years ago and things change in CLE a lot slower than they do on the coasts.