Topic Wiki

ExGingi posted link to an interview (full text copied here) with Rabbi Zushe Posner (who has been an educator for over 50 years) in English version of the Beis Moshiach magazine. Rabbi Posner unique style, of demanding of himself (and others) intellectual honesty, even when it gets uncomfortable was dubbed truth shock jock by gozalim.

In response to the OP, Yard sale asserted it to be "Undiluted kefira". In response to an inquiry by ExGingi, Yard sale brought two quotes from the interview to ostensibly prove his point, but brought no argument as to why said statements would qualify as "Undiluted kefira". ExGingi asked if his claim is because he believes that Tzimtzum is to be interpreted literally (צמצום כפשוטו). To which Yard sale tried to argue that "above quote is clearly not referring to Tzimtzum dilo kipshshuto the way ein sof is extant in you, me, and my pet rabbit. It is clearly referring to the Rebbe specifically in a unique way, as is evident from the continuation of the article."

As to the second quote ostensibly claimed to be Kefira, some tried to explain what a Rebbe is, while ExGingi disclaimed all such explanations quoting from the interview "...if I could explain it, well then that’s not a Rebbe." While for the first quote ExGingi offered a simplistic English explanation saying that "Once we understand ... that עולם is a concealment of the true being, then if something (or someone) is less of a concealment, then the true being appears "more present" in it (or through it)."

At a certain point Yard sale seemed to start retreating or slightly mellow down the tone from his original statement/accusation.

At that point doodle interjected in response to ExGingi's quote that we cannot really explain the situation, positing that "Or you were plain wrong . The Rebbe is not Moshiach. He never said he was anyway . It would have been amazing if he was , but he wasn’t ... Intellectual honesty and openness of thought is important."

ExGingi being always ready for an honest intellectual challenge (though not always having the time for a timely response) fully agrees with the demand for Intellectual Honesty (later claiming that this might be the main point Rabbi Posner was actually trying to bring across in the interview) and followed up with the challenges:
  • "How well versed are you in the Rebbe's talks and writings (to be able to say that he "never said he was")?
  • How well versed are you in the topics of גאולה and משיח from Jewish sources? From Chassidus? From the Rebbe's teachings?"

doodle jumped right at the first challenge, asking whether ExGingi "say(s) the Rebbe said he's moshiach? If yes, from where?" to which ExGingi responds that he is unaware of the explicit words being ever said by the Rebbe, but claims a propensity of material authorized for publication by the Rebbe implies that it would be intellectually dishonest to say that "the Rebbe "never said he was"."

chinagel requested clarification from ExGingi whether he is "of the opinion that the Rebbe held he was moshiach? Do you still think he must be moshiach?" To which ExGingi's terse response was "yes and yes".

In an interesting twist, Yard sale himself then brought a Hebrew quote that offers the same explanation that ExGingi offered earlier to the עצמות ומהות מלובש בגוף statement.

Dan decided to interject with a link to Wikipedia (which was then quoted by Yard sale) alleging that the Rebbe clearly told a journalist that he is not Moshiach, and that said interchange is recorded. [said "proof" is quoted by Wikipedia referencing an exchange between Tomer Persiko and Rabbi Chaim Rapoport, Persiko (who isn't quoted in current thread) offers a response to Rabbi Rapoport, but rather than going that route ExGingi, being honest and open minded searched for same recording to no avail, and challenged all to come up with it. chbochur reports that he inquired with various contacts at JEMedia (which Rabbi Rapoport alleges holds such recording) and none seem to be aware of such, he then reached out to Rabbi Rapoport himself who said he needs to dig it up, we patiently await it.]

With a few more questions thrown about, to which others might have offered some responses, at a certain point ExGingi said that he is "waiting for responses to my questions/inquiries before I publicly respond to others."

After some noisy nonsense introduced by none other than our dear friend CBC (what a surprise) who was given undue credibility by aygart, Yehuda57 offered a response to the ostensibly Kefira statement brought in the interview "if the Rebbe, G-d forbid … then we can stop putting on t’fillin, chalila". Yehuda57's response has several parts, first and foremost he asks whether "those people stop putting on tefillin?" And then went on to say that "perhaps there is just a slight chance they were saying extreme things as "shock jocks" in order to make a seperate point which may or may not have been excusable in context but appears blasphemous typed out coldly 30 years later?" after some additional noise from CBC and followup by aygart, Yehuda57 added that "if you are working on a premise that it is possible a Lubavitcher could believe that any reason at all is enough to make him stop putting on tefillin, then we have nothing to discuss."

When aygart responded to that with pleasure in finding out that said premise is flawed, he asked "how is one supposed to take such a statement?" ExGingi replied with an allegation that accepting such a baffling statement כפשוטו when referring to people whom you know to be שומרי תומ"צ, indicates a lack of Yiras Shomayim. While Yehuda57 went into a little more detail and another example, stating that if on'es "baseline, like others here, is that Chabad = kefira, no amount of contextualizing will change that, to the point that you could absurdly say Chabad hides their true beliefs."

After some more noise, the בעל אכסניא offered his regular english explanation of the עצמות ומהות מלובש בגוף statement, while separately making disparaging comments about the magazine where it was quoted. A third time must have been the charm, along with a disparaging comment about the source by Dan, and seemingly נחה דעתו of R' Yard sale.

After some additional back and forth noise regarding various "factions" within Lubavitch, Yard sale gave the thread an interesting turn, acknowledging that "It’s easy to smugly look down on others but the  Litvaks have their own problems; last I checked צפיה לישועהis also one of the י״ג עיקרים yet few of them take moshiach seriously. Sure we give lip service to the idea multiple times a day, but who is really interested in giving up all the good stuff we have here? It’s like some foreign concept that most of us espouse  מן השפה ולחוץ." Dan made some serious allegations about how he heard friends in non-Chabad school talking and from there discussion went OT about school vs home education, including proper attitude towards emphasis of שכר ועונש and attitude towards non-Jews.
« Last edited by ExGingi on July 14, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

Author Topic: BM Magazine Articles  (Read 54598 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: BM Magazine Articles
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »
Out of curiosity, has this changed over the past 50 years? I was there 22-30 years ago and things change in CLE a lot slower than they do on the coasts.
I'd think so. All the old European Rabeim have gone to retirement and left more American ones in their place.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2019, 09:06:23 AM »
I'd think so. All the old European Rabeim have gone to retirement and left more American ones in their place.
That could explain a lot. Glad to hear things are changing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »
Hopefully things have changed in the past 25 years. But we had that exact mussar shmooze in 7th grade and I found it off-putting enough to beg to go away from home and try another path.

Rafi comes home with stuff from his rebbes teachings that bother me deeply, including views on gentiles that clearly affects how the kids act towards their afternoon English teacher. When I try to correct some stuff he asked why his Rebbe tell him sheker. Not fun :(

I would tread VERY carefully there. The parent/school dynamic is a very difficult balancing act. A parent regularly  negating things that the kid hears is in school can have negative repercussions since a kid has to be bought in to his her school/teacher to a degree; otherwise they feel free to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Of course as a parent one has to guide his kids but much of that is absorbed by the child observing the parents actions and attitudes which speak even louder than words.
I’ve had kids come home with statements like “moshiach was about to come after the war but the ציונים drove him away when they waged the war of independence.” Or “goyim are....”. “Bale batim are...” Kiddush Hashem isn’t when Yidden act in a way that the goyim look up to them. It’s when they do what has to be done even if it means fighting in public.”״ Holding open the door for the person behind you is a שטות that the goyim invented called etiquette and there’s no reason for a Jew to do it especially for a woman.״ etc.

I try to find a way to not completely negate such things to my kids while explaining that there are many different approaches in yiddishkeit and each has נקודות that are valid and can be learned from. And I will never make light of a חומרא the girls pick up in school such as how to do the eggs on Shabbos or cutting their hair short etc. as long as it does not risk being an unhealthy obsession. One of the schools I sent to has as a parent and student body that is very into the finer things in life, which I am not, but I am careful never to put it down to my child because I know that is part of sending to that school, and there were many other factors that made that school the right choice for that particular child. Of course everyone has to have their red lines, but before choosing a school I made sure as much as possible that I would be able to make my peace with it without causing conflict for my child. Otherwise I would have been forced to choose a different option.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
Why can't we praise our lifestytle without shaming anyone else?
Because humans are flawed?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2019, 09:13:06 AM »
Rafi comes home with stuff from his rebbes teachings that bother me deeply, including views on gentiles that clearly affects how the kids act towards their afternoon English teacher. When I try to correct some stuff he asked why his Rebbe tell him sheker. Not fun :(
I would tread VERY carefully there. The parent/school dynamic is a very difficult balancing act. A parent regularly  negating things that the kid hears is in school can have negative repercussions since a kid has to be bought in to his her school/teacher to a degree; otherwise they feel free to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Curious to hear how @sky121 dealt with this dilemma.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »
That could explain a lot. Glad to hear things are changing.
I remember as a little kid in 1st to 5th grade I had chassidish rabbeim (who grew up in a very sheltered environment) in a litvish school but they phased them out when they realized that the just didn't get the new generation.
It's just that the new generation is exposed to the whole wide world and telling them they will rot in hell wont help them see why they cant be like yenem. You have to explain both sides of the story and the ask "why in the world would you want what they have?"
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2019, 09:15:51 AM »
I remember as a little kid in 1st to 5th grade I had chassidish rabbeim (who grew up in a very sheltered environment) in a litvish school but they phased them out when they realized that the just didn't get the new generation.
It's just that the new generation is exposed to the whole wide world and telling them they will rot in hell wont help them see why they cant be like yenem. You have to explain both sides of the story and the ask "why in the world would you want what they have?"
Happy to hear I'm not crazy.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
Illustration:

Chabad chinuch: Teacher to students: " let's all daven and do mitzvos and make the Rebbeh proud".

Standard chinuch: Teacher to students: "let's all daven and do mitzvos to make HASHEM proud".

This I have seen and heard with my own ears more than once at regular chabad mosdos.

The difference in the chinuch is just so fundamentally striking to me.. I don't even understand how a chabad kid can grow up with such mixed messages.

If the Rebbeh is the most important thing in the world at home, how can't he be worshiped at school?
Reminds me of this video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WSU737WJ1fbkxCLW5KMWhxaGM/view?usp=drivesdk
(Start at 1:40)

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
I went to a litvishe yeshiva that is considered one of the top yeshivos. I don't remember a single shmooze where schar and onesh was the main point. Neither was the general hashkafa in any way focused on that. It was more of, what's a persons tafkid in life and doing ratzon hashem.
+100000000000000000000......

I can't recall that I have ever once heard a schmooz focused on schar v'onesh between mesivta, bais medrash, yeshiva in EY, BMG etc. One of my rabbeim zt"l has his shmoozin published in a sefer and I don't think even one is about that. The primary focus of any schar v'onesh was how the closeness to Hashem or c"v the opposite was in itself the actual schar and onesh like the mesilas yeshorim.

I had a lubavitcher boy in a younger grade in mesivta with me in a letvishe yeshiva. He was very open about it with 770 embroidered into his tfilin bags. He may have gotten flack from other boys which was mostly regular boys teasing but I had never even once seen anything from rabbeim.
Out of curiosity, has this changed over the past 50 years? I was there 22-30 years ago and things change in CLE a lot slower than they do on the coasts.
+1I guess this need to go in the pros and cons thread. You need to move to Lakewood.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
Reminds me of this video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WSU737WJ1fbkxCLW5KMWhxaGM/view?usp=drivesdk
(Start at 1:40)
LOL.
But on the other hand it's not too far fetched of a thing to say. I mean why do people get brochos today? for the same reason.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
Curious to hear how @sky121 dealt with this dilemma.

Trying to figure out why my thoughts would be specifically requested :)

Meanwhile.. it's hard to put all my thoughts on this topic down because it really is a problem that comes not only from the schools but from the parents and our community as well. And it stems from so many different areas of our lives.

But just to throw some thoughts out on all this...

I know there is that classic fear of never putting down the school where you send your kid but I do believe, especially as a child gets older that there is an appropriate way to tell your kid you disagree with a teachers thoughts or opinion in a respectful way.  Society started realizing the problems of bashing the school or teachers from parents who were doing just that- bashing, bad mouthing, saying things were stupid etc. That should obviously never be done. Having no respect for the school or teachers will quickly pass along to your kid. If a kid sees you respect their teachers and school even when voicing your opinion and disagreements they learn to also disagree with people and still respect them.   
In general kids are much smarter than we give the credit for. It's ok for them to see you disagree about things. And it's ok to say in our house we ... x ..y...z..

With the situation given above for certain chumros being taught in school for example- I think it's perfectly fine to teach a kid that came home learning "this is the right way to do it" - that it is in fact just a chumra and in your house you do X, Y and Z. 
Because in honesty you don't want your kid thinking all the chumros they learn are black and white Halacha because that too causes problems later on or more room for judging others that don't do things that way.

The fear of disagreeing or even having to outright say something is wrong is less when you have been teaching your kid derech eretz and respect all along.   

And that's really a bigger issue than all this. If you're not really preaching it at home and they are getting some negative lessons at school it's hard to even know where to start.

This is an old problem.  I think a big way this stuff didn't affect me personally growing up was my exposure to other people. Non religious family members and just the outside world and seeing how my parents treated other human beings.

But .... even with all that- I still had to work on really knowing that I wasn't "better" than anyone else just because they were not religious/not Jewish etc as an adult. It does get ingrained in you.

The rabbes definitely need to do a better job in educating our kids to act respectful to all people including gentiles, while still teaching them to look down on the goy and their low lifestyle, which is crucial for our kids to be proud to behave and to be part of the "עם הנבחר".

Thousand apologies for you Dan, but in all honesty I believe that glorifying a goyish sports champion and yearning to get his autograph for your little boy isn't ideal for that matter. Feel free to discuss with your LOR of course.

:o
This is why I can't even respond to these posts half the time.
Why do we have to look down on "the goy?" 
And why are we generalizing that all non Jews are living a low lifestyle??
If that's what it takes for kids to be proud and behave.. I'm pretty sure we're doing something wrong.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »

Because of:

Meanwhile.. it's hard to put all my thoughts on this topic down because it really is a problem that comes not only from the schools but from the parents and our community as well. And it stems from so many different areas of our lives.

I know there is that classic fear of never putting down the school where you send your kid but I do believe, especially as a child gets older that there is an appropriate way to tell your kid you disagree with a teachers thoughts or opinion in a respectful way.  Society started realizing the problems of bashing the school or teachers from parents who were doing just that- bashing, bad mouthing, saying things were stupid etc. That should obviously never be done. Having no respect for the school or teachers will quickly pass along to your kid. If a kid sees you respect their teachers and school even when voicing your opinion and disagreements they learn to also disagree with people and still respect them.   
In general kids are much smarter than we give the credit for. It's ok for them to see you disagree about things. And it's ok to say in our house we ... x ..y...z..

With the situation given above for certain chumros being taught in school for example- I think it's perfectly fine to teach a kid that came home learning "this is the right way to do it" - that it is in fact just a chumra and in your house you do X, Y and Z. 
Because in honesty you don't want your kid thinking all the chumros they learn are black and white Halacha because that too causes problems later on or more room for judging others that don't do things that way.

The fear of disagreeing or even having to outright say something is wrong is less when you have been teaching your kid derech eretz and respect all along.   

And that's really a bigger issue than all this. If you're not really preaching it at home and they are getting some negative lessons at school it's hard to even know where to start.

This is an old problem.  I think a big way this stuff didn't affect me personally growing up was my exposure to other people. Non religious family members and just the outside world and seeing how my parents treated other human beings.

But .... even with all that- I still had to work on really knowing that I wasn't "better" than anyone else just because they were not religious/not Jewish etc as an adult. It does get ingrained in you.

If that's what it takes for kids to be proud and behave.. I'm pretty sure we're doing something wrong.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
It's ok to talk to your kids. It's ok to make them think.
 It's ok to counter a "goyim are bad" statement with...  Is the man who gave you a sticker at Trader Joes bad?
Is Doctor so and so bad?
Is the mailman we say hi to everyday.. is he a bad person?

It's ok to get into these discussions and have them start thinking. Even with your 4 year old. And your 8 year old and 12 year old and 16 year old.

It's ok to ask questions.
"Why is he bad?"
Why are "Goyim" bad?

You (hopefully) want your kids to know there are good Non-Jews in the world.
You want your kids to judge people on their actions, not their religion.
Honestly, kids should know there are "good" non Jews just as much as they should know there are "bad" Jews.

The problem when I write this is knowing that many people on the forums don't even believe that themselves.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »

Because I know that you and I see alike on the gentile issue hashkafikly and I was wondering how you dealt with that :)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »
It's ok to talk to your kids. It's ok to make them think.
 It's ok to counter a "goyim are bad" statement with...  Is the man who gave you a sticker at Trader Joes bad?
Is Doctor so and so bad?
Is the mailman we say hi to everyday.. is he a bad person?

It's ok to get into these discussions and have them start thinking. Even with your 4 year old. And your 8 year old and 12 year old and 16 year old.

It's ok to ask questions.
"Why is he bad?"
Why are "Goyim" bad?

You (hopefully) want your kids to know there are good Non-Jews in the world.
You want your kids to judge people on their actions, not their religion.
Honestly, kids should know there are "good" non Jews just as much as they should know there are "bad" Jews.

The problem when I write this is knowing that many people on the forums don't even believe that themselves.
I grew up also being taught in HAC that goyim are inherently bad and it bothers me that this is still taught.

I enjoyed that in Chabad yeshivas we were instead taught to talk to gentiles and let them know about the 7 Noahide mitzvas that they need to know about to make the world a better place.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »
+100000000000000000000......

I can't recall that I have ever once heard a schmooz focused on schar v'onesh between mesivta, bais medrash, yeshiva in EY, BMG etc. One of my rabbeim zt"l has his shmoozin published in a sefer and I don't think even one is about that. The primary focus of any schar v'onesh was how the closeness to Hashem or c"v the opposite was in itself the actual schar and onesh like the mesilas yeshorim.

I had a lubavitcher boy in a younger grade in mesivta with me in a letvishe yeshiva. He was very open about it with 770 embroidered into his tfilin bags. He may have gotten flack from other boys which was mostly regular boys teasing but I had never even once seen anything from rabbeim.

There definitely is some focus on עומק הדין etc. (open up a מתנת חיים on תומר דבורה etc.)but that is geared toward those who are much more advanced and not toward your younger mesivta bochur .

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
The rabbes definitely need to do a better job in educating our kids to act respectful to all people including gentiles, while still teaching them to look down on the goy and their low lifestyle, which is crucial for our kids to be proud to behave and to be part of the "עם הנבחר".
Is all the scams Jews perpetrate on other Jews in the Jewish community the low lifestyle you are talking about?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
Is all the scams Jews perpetrate on other Jews in the Jewish community the low lifestyle you are talking about?
That's the flipside of stressing that we are special. I certainly trusted too many Jews over the years to do the right thing because they were Jewish. But you live and learn.