Author Topic: hotel upgrade  (Read 9609 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: hotel upgrade
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 12:56:14 AM »
Agreed, but it will be a guilt-tripped and uncomfortable no.   

Like I said, no is the worst that can ever happen, but that doesn't mean it's always worth asking.  You can also open a cc and call 1,000 times for a killed bonus offer and probably 1 out of the 1,000 times be successful.  But generally it will be a waste of time and be uncomfortable.

100%. However, I'm just not as convinced as you are of how long of a shot this is, considering he will be using the wedding night/honeymoon/anniversary (in descending order of efficacy) approach. I say he does it and reports back... after all TWTCSIN :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
I have gotten upgraded a few times with calling  Before at the hyatt Jersey city. On a priceline reservation

Offline dd321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
Agreed, but it will be a guilt-tripped and uncomfortable no.   

That's y I wanna email and not call. I have stayed in other Hyatts with price line and when I checked in they asked for my hyatt passport card and they upgraded me cuz I'm a member
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:17:14 AM by Dan »

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
Asked for an upgrade because... of your good looks? I, too, would say the PL reservation couldn't be touched.

I told them I jsut got married... I have got upgraded many times when I just walked up to the desk... In atlantic city they are pretty good at upgrading

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: Re: hotel upgrade
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
Not sure if this is off topic, but can you use a hyatt suite upgrade (from diamond membership) on a jetsetter reservation?

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
I just made a reservation at the Four Points in Niagara on Chol Hamoed Sukkos.  (Dan, I reserved there because of the Chabad Sukkah that I heard is practically in the hotel)  I booked a two room suite for 14000 points.  There is one suite that is a little upgraded (jacuzzi etc.), but they don't take points for that.  How would you recommend I get in touch with someone there who can help me and what exactly should I ask for?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
That's y I wanna email and not call. I have stayed in other Hyatts with price line and when I checked in they asked for my hyatt passport card and they upgraded me cuz I'm a member

You could always just call the hotel and ask for the manager's email.

I told them I jsut got married... I have got upgraded many times when I just walked up to the desk... In atlantic city they are pretty good at upgrading

Makes sense, and though just anecdotal, seems to strengthen my point (especially because your the second person to have successfully upgraded a PL reservation with the whole married gig. So, marriage + PL = (decent) shot at getting upgraded?

Quote from: AJK
TWTCSIN :P
?
"The worse they could say is no." You heard it here first ladies and gents :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
some of the acronyms an the forums are so hard to decipher there should be a thread a thread with all the translations

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
some of the acronyms an the forums are so hard to decipher there should be a thread a thread with all the translations

As requested.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
What's the worst that could ever happen?
I just wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a confirmed upgrade when making a dirt cheap stay.  At check-in I'd probably pull out my elite card and try my luck, but most managers will laugh you off when asking for a confirmed upgrade in advance when you're on a priceline stay.

Makes sense, and though just anecdotal, seems to strengthen my point (especially because your the second person to have successfully upgraded a PL reservation with the whole married gig. So, marriage + PL = (decent) shot at getting upgraded?
Don't see how that proves your point.  As I implied already, there's always a good shot of getting upgraded at the desk by flashing your membership card or sweet talking a bored checkin rep and make them feel important.  After all it costs the hotel nothing to upgrade you to a suite if they know they won't sell it.

Getting a confirmed upgrade in advance though is significantly more difficult.  I maintain that not too many hotels will confirm you in advance when on a priceline stay no matter what the argument is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »
You're right I misread you're third quoted post. However, I offer you this is response:

I have gotten upgraded a few times with calling  Before at the hyatt Jersey city. On a priceline reservation

Granted, it's just one person's experience, and granted odds of getting upgraded at checkin are larger, I still OP has a good chance at getting a confirmed upgrade (if he couples his request with wedding night/honeymoon/anniversary gig - with chances being MUCH larger for wedding night). (That being said, I make no express or implied guarantees or reservations :P)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
I still OP has a good chance at getting a confirmed upgrade (if he couples his request with wedding night/honeymoon/anniversary gig - with chances being MUCH larger for wedding night).
I'd beg to differ, but YMMV.  And do you really expect them to believe that you would leave your wedding night hotel up to the whims of priceline?  Or that you're going on a honeymoon in philadelphia :P

More likely they will say ask again at checkin.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
I'd beg to differ, but YMMV.  And do you really expect them to believe that you would leave your wedding night hotel up to the whims of priceline?  Or that you're going on a honeymoon in philadelphia :P

More likely they will say ask again at checkin.

Well, (and I'm not being sarcastic here), sometimes people simply cannot afford to pay $500+/night for a hotel on their wedding night, or for their honeymoon. For them, PL is a lifesaver.

And, if it really is their wedding night (and it should be noted that I do not advocate lying), then there should be no problem when they are asked at check standing there in a tux + wedding dress.

I hope the OP reports back on his successes (or lack thereof).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »
Well, (and I'm not being sarcastic here), sometimes people simply cannot afford to pay $500+/night for a hotel on their wedding night, or for their honeymoon. For them, PL is a lifesaver.

And, if it really is their wedding night (and it should be noted that I do not advocate lying), then there should be no problem when they are asked at check standing there in a tux + wedding dress.
I don't know of anyone personally who would leave their wedding night location up to priceline.  There's no need to spend $500 to get a nice room, and it's better for you to decide where you'll be that night then to let william shatner decide, and I think most hotel managers will be thinking the same. 
Nor do I know anyone desperate enough for an upgrade to play dress-up.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
if ppl bring thier kids on the honeymoon as previously discussed on the forums then y cant they leave it up to priceline or go to philly for honeymoon

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Just an add on to the "sweet" talk on getting upgraded - I do see it really helps all the time make conversation, compliment them.... the people behind the desk are really bored, and prob arent making a good salary...

It amazing how far a compliment could go

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »
Ok guys- question here...     I booked the Eden Roc Miami using some AA miles. I'm not exactly sure how that works with the hotel now.  Do they get paid from a company now?                           What are my chances are being able to upgrade for free or even with paying with a reservation booked like this?  Thoughts?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Ok guys- question here...     I booked the Eden Roc Miami using some AA miles. I'm not exactly sure how that works with the hotel now.  Do they get paid from a company now?                           What are my chances are being able to upgrade for free or even with paying with a reservation booked like this?  Thoughts?
can i ask how many miles it was