Author Topic: AN URGENT APPEAL TO THE NY YESHIVA COMMUNITY  (Read 54884 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: AN URGENT APPEAL TO THE NY YESHIVA COMMUNITY
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »
That's exactly what we have a government for, to enforce regulations that maintain a well-functioning society.  We wouldn't want each individual resident to enforce the traffic laws on his street, or each individual restaurant owner to enforce food safety regulations.  We need an external body that represents the will of the people as a group, rather than leaving this up to individuals. 

Okay, so if the will of the people is to teach that men should be pregnant this should be enforced? I am not understanding how you feel we can accept them become decision makers and then pick and choose which decisions to accept. How will that work? Now they can decide that it is important to teach triginometry to have a functioning society, but tomorrow they can decide that gender fluidity must be taught.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
You realize that under the proposed guidelines some of the top notch Modern Orthodox schools (talking about secular studies) would fail to meet some of these guidelines, and children attending them would be considered truant?
No, I don't realize that.  Can you expand on that?  Example?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
But it's been tried already, and it worked.  I (and possibly you) attended high schools where the students took NYS regents exams to get their high school degree.  The state set the standards, and we met them.  I suspect that this true for at least some of the Agudah askanim as well.  The state has been involved in setting standards for decades, this is nothing new.

No this has not been tried. The curriculum was kept to voluntarily. The school has the ability to decide they are no longer offering regents biology classes if biology suddenly starts to include things it did not until now. You are advocating taking this choice away from them.

Offline nbfromnj

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »
But it's been tried already, and it worked.  I (and possibly you) attended high schools where the students took NYS regents exams to get their high school degree.  The state set the standards, and we met them.  I suspect that this true for at least some of the Agudah askanim as well.  The state has been involved in setting standards for decades, this is nothing new.
Which part worked? That students who took the regents have better critical thinking skills in real life or that there were never issues with the state regulated curriculum?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »
I'm willing to take more than a minute, but I would argue that all schools should be required to meet certain standards, which this letter seems to oppose.

I might have once bought the argument that yeshivas teach "complex legal and moral texts, which require textual analysis, logical reasoning, and critical thinking..." but in recent years we've seen many of those with significant talmud study lack the ability to apply critical thinking to other areas of life.

Even if you’re right, I wouldn’t trust our government to give critical thinking skills to those people you saw lacking them (or their equivalent current students)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »
If the concern is that standards of education will include the statement that men can become pregnant, then accept all the other standards and don't include this statement.  This hardly seems like a significant justification for eliminating all secular studies from some yeshiva high schools.

How is someone who believes that anyone who disagrees about men being pregnant is a bigot the right person to promote critical thinking of all things?

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2022, 03:37:19 PM »
I absolutely agree in theory that schools should be required to meet certain standards, however, I wouldn't trust the state to decide what those standards should be.
"The state" in this case is a group of people with some sort of expertise to work in the field of education.  If you disagree with the standards they set, you can let them know in writing, protests, social media, etc, and try to convince them to change the standards.  Just like you'd protest if you disagreed with the standards set for public health, driving, gun-carrying, etc.  You wouldn't want to eliminate the state's ability to set those regulations, just because you happen to disagree with some of them. 

And if today we agree with wherever they draw that line, what's to say that next year, when society lurched a little more towards the abyss, we would still agree. 
The protest next year.  You're arguing that we should have no society-wide regulations because we can't predict the future.  Let's have the regulations we think are good this year, and deal with next year when it arrives.

I would trust parents and the free market to make better decisions for our own children.
Society has decided to NOT treat education as a commodity that only some are abile to attain, but rather to ensure that all children have the benefit of receiving at least some education. 

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2022, 03:44:26 PM »
"The state" in this case is a group of people with some sort of expertise to work in the field of education.  If you disagree with the standards they set, you can let them know in writing, protests, social media, etc, and try to convince them to change the standards.  Just like you'd protest if you disagreed with the standards set for public health, driving, gun-carrying, etc.  You wouldn't want to eliminate the state's ability to set those regulations, just because you happen to disagree with some of them. 
The protest next year.  You're arguing that we should have no society-wide regulations because we can't predict the future.  Let's have the regulations we think are good this year, and deal with next year when it arrives.
Society has decided to NOT treat education as a commodity that only some are abile to attain, but rather to ensure that all children have the benefit of receiving at least some education. 

Just the opposite. It is because the future is VERY predictable. By the time anyone writes letters or protests those standards are already there and if they consider the request to not be forced to teach that men can be pregnant (just an example) to be bigoted then why would they agree to that?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2022, 03:46:40 PM »

These all pose a clear and present danger to others and a menace to society of not regulated. Educational standards are at worst a danger to one's self, and are a matter of personal choice. It's more analogous to mandatory preemptive medical intervention for children (even mandatory vaccinations are not comparable, being as there is a highly debatable argument over there that an unvaccinated child endangers others by posing a risk of being a carrier of contagious diseases). In addition, one would have to evidence severe and large scale harm caused to the children due to the gaps in the educational system. We have no such evidence that the products of the public school system do quantitatively substantially better than the unregulated private school graduates. I don't see basis for regulation at all in this case.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »

It's ludicrous to come down on yeshivas for children "not receiving at least some education." Yeshivah kids are being educated. I'd venture a guess that 100% of yeshivah students are educated more than every public school student in the state. The issue is that some people decided that education is not considered education in their minds. 

Online Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2022, 03:48:41 PM »

You mean like these experts

https://nypost.com/2021/05/22/doe-treats-nyc-students-to-virtual-drag-queen-story-hour/amp/

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2022, 03:48:53 PM »

Going from availing everyone of a commodity or program to mandating utilization or participation in said commodity or program is a wide leap.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »

As always, btw, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything you say, you are one of the most enjoyable contrarian opinion posters to engage with. Your posts are always well researched, thought it, structured, and intelligent, and you do not devolve to personal or ad hominem attacks even when the are deep conceptual disagreements.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2022, 03:54:46 PM »
1) IINM, one of the aspects of these regulations is that anyone can lodge a complaint, not necessarily the BOE, a parent or a student. Anyone.
And the Agudah is saying that anyone can lodge a comment to argue against these standards.  A parent.  A graduate.  A concerned citizen.  Anyone.
2) I have the right to be as unhealthy as I want or drive any vehicle any way on my ranch. I can't when it affects you.
Perhaps you could educate your children however you want if your children were going to remain on your ranch and be self-sufficient and not require government funding.  But not if their education or lack of it can affect others or require others to support them. .
If you want to so drastically curtail the rights of so many thousands of religious citizens,
I don't think it's drastic.  Many thousands of religious citizens passed the NYS regents and don't consider themselves to have been harmed by their education.

And the numerous hair raising stories of CPS taking children away from parents based on no evidence at all
No idea what this refers to.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2022, 03:57:21 PM »
The FDA is absolutely fabulous invention to ensure we don't die from bacteria, viruses and whatnot contaminating our food. Yet they just cause a potentially deadly shortage of baby formula. You win some you lose some I guess?
Like every agency, the FDA has its problems.  But I don't believe that Dr. RR has provided a convincing argument that they are at fault.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2022, 04:00:15 PM »
Many thousands of religious citizens passed the NYS regents and don't consider themselves to have been harmed by their education.

Again, this tells us nothing about what can happen if they can enforce regents even if their content is changed.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »
Okay, so if the will of the people is to teach that men should be pregnant this should be enforced? I am not understanding how you feel we can accept them become decision makers and then pick and choose which decisions to accept. How will that work? Now they can decide that it is important to teach triginometry to have a functioning society, but tomorrow they can decide that gender fluidity must be taught.
You're nit-picking at minor details that don't even exist. 
This is how it works:  NYS says it's important to teach biology, with an outline of a general curriculum.
Yeshiva tells its students: You'll study biology, but we're not going to cover this chapter on evolution, which makes up 5% of the curriculum.  So the maximum you'll get on the Biology Regents will probably be 95%.  Oh well.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2022, 04:05:46 PM »
This is how it works:  NYS says it's important to teach biology, with an outline of a general curriculum.
Yeshiva tells its students: You'll study biology, but we're not going to cover this chapter on evolution, which makes up 5% of the curriculum.  So the maximum you'll get on the Biology Regents will probably be 95%.  Oh well.

It is about giving over the authority to force them to exist.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2022, 04:09:24 PM »
And the Agudah is saying that anyone can lodge a comment to argue against these standards.  A parent.  A graduate.  A concerned citizen.  Anyone.Perhaps you could educate your children however you want if your children were going to remain on your ranch and be self-sufficient and not require government funding.  But not if their education or lack of it can affect others or require others to support them. .I don't think it's drastic.  Many thousands of religious citizens passed the NYS regents and don't consider themselves to have been harmed by their education.
And the Agudah is saying that anyone can lodge a comment to argue against these standards.  A parent.  A graduate.  A concerned citizen.  Anyone.
Having anyone sign a petition is a far cry from having a government agency with the power of arrest taking action against a school or parents. This is a pretty disingenuous argument that is beneath you.

Perhaps you could educate your children however you want if your children were going to remain on your ranch and be self-sufficient and not require government funding.  But not if their education or lack of it can affect others or require others to support them.

So if I don't ever sign up for any sort of welfare I'm good? Besides, it has been proven time and again that graduates of the yeshiva system do not place a higher than average drain on social and welfare services. Even in some places that have a high number of people on welfare, the overall contributions from the community far outweigh those of comparable non-Jewish cities, and the accompanying social and welfare costs are virtually zero, compare the very high costs of poverty-stricken areas which require more policing, medical, and a host of other services.

Many thousands of religious citizens passed the NYS regents and don't consider themselves to have been harmed by their education.
My daughter is doing Regents, but we chose that school. Forcing me into it would very much be a drastic imposition. Proof that it drastically curtailing our rights are the tens of thousands of signatures on the numerous community-wide petitions.

GIYF. There have been many stories publicized in MSM and beyond about children who were taken away from their parents because of allegations of abuse and the like, when there was not a shred of evidence the child was abused. It happened to a frum family in Texas a short while ago, but these stories have been published by people that run the gamut of political and religious affiliation.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »
you're describing the oversight already in place, which presumably covers the basics you're worried about.
what's being proposed here is a drastic expansion of that. going from FDA to CPS++. and virtually giving AOC a seat at the AIPAC table