Author Topic: AN URGENT APPEAL TO THE NY YESHIVA COMMUNITY  (Read 53311 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: AN URGENT APPEAL TO THE NY YESHIVA COMMUNITY
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
I had 2-2.5 hours of daily secular studies in high school and only had 3 years of it. Still managed a 1420 on the SAT, skipped college, and got a 3.98 GPA in business grad school.
What if you had 4 hours of daily secular studies, 4 years of HS and went to college. You still think you would be posting in JS?  :P
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »

Major Rabbanim and Rosh Yeshivas went to Albany to discuss, and although they had originally been assured that the new guidelines would be a joint effort, the state went back on their word.

Overall, the point is that the state can certainly set expectations of what our students should know, there's no reason for them to dictate how we teach it, and how much time we spend on it.
Things like math and reading aren't just a bunch of facts you can gauge on a standardized test. They're skills that need practice.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
What if you had 4 hours of daily secular studies, 4 years of HS and went to college. You still think you would be posting in JS?  :P
Did you have those?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
Did you have those?
No. You want me to apply your logic now?  :)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
He would prob be practicing "do you want fries with that", as many people who had 4 hours of daily secular studies, 4 years of HS and went to college.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2019, 02:47:18 PM »
He would prob be practicing "do you want fries with that", as many people who had 4 hours of daily secular studies, 4 years of HS and went to college.
Really? I know a ton of people like that and not one practices that. I guess you get out more than me.  :P

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »
I didn't miss any point and just asked a simple question.

It is great that the Talmud teaches all those different things. Lets just pick a subject, math. Do you believe you can learn as much about math from the Talmud as from a HS math class?

On a high school level of Talmud vs. high school level advanced math - no.

However:

1) It's easier to teach math later on than it is to teach critical thinking and thoughtful analysis. Furthermore, most colleges have college classes that cover both basic high school math as well as more advanced high school math. This is an important point in 2 ways - it shows that many students outside the yeshiva world are entering college without a firm grasp of these concepts, and it also shows that even if one did not get a strong math education prior to college, that need not hold them back.

2) A solid foundation of basic math, including fractions, is more important for most people than the advanced math of high school. I will accept that the problem with this perspective is that a small number of students excel at more advanced math, and without the exposure to it, there's no way for them to know if they have an aptitude for productive and lucrative careers in those fields. While this exposure can come later, I can see the advantage of earlier exposure.

Things like math and reading aren't just a bunch of facts you can gauge on a standardized test. They're skills that need practice.

Skills that need practice require homework, studying, and then you gauge how well the students have acquired those skills. Generally, the accepted way to do so is on a standardized test of some kind, although as a former teacher I can debate that as well.

Recommending more hours of classes despite students demonstrating proficiency in a subject seems like a waste of time.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2019, 02:58:01 PM »

It is great that the Talmud teaches all those different things. Lets just pick a subject, math. Do you believe you can learn as much about math from the Talmud as from a HS math class?

... depends on which math course.  Obviously the Talmud isn't going to replace a calculus textbook. But for Discrete mathematics - 100%.  The talmud deals with sets, logic, exceptions and rules. As a 20+ year professional software developer, my talmudic education influenced the development of my programming skills far more than any math class I took.

Let's pick another 3 subjects - History, English and 'Critical thinking/Critical Literacy'. In all 3 of those subjects, while we do cover literature both factual and fictional, the goal is to develop the skills needed to ultimately be able to analyze information, and use that information to make formal arguments. The Talmud does that without beating around the bush. Those subjects also get students to speak publicly and present publicly and to that end, many yeshivas have students give a dvar torah, or a prepared class on a topic that they've researched.

I remember meeting with the advisor for my minor - Technical Writing - and going through my required course list. When we got to critical thinking, she asks me if I'd ever studied the talmud? I told her about 9 years to that point. She exempted me on the spot.

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
I had 2-2.5 hours of daily secular studies in high school and only had 3 years of it. Still managed a 1420 on the SAT, skipped college, and got a 3.98 GPA in business grad school.

4.4 hours seems excessive. Negotiating tactic?
אין מביאין ראיה מדן

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »

How much of the actual subject matter of HS math is actually used by most people?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
Maybe I'd be a consultant traveling every week. Would have been my loss :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
How much of the actual subject matter of HS math is actually used by most people?
HS math is pretty basic so I would hope most use it.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
HS math is pretty basic so I would hope most use it.
I have never used trigonometry since high school. I have never done a geometry proof since high school. What percentage of the country do you think has?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
I have never used trigonometry since high school. I have never done a geometry proof since high school. What percentage of the country do you think has?
What part of the country can figure out a 15% tip without a calc/phone? Maybe they should have paid attention in math class.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
What part of the country can figure out a 15% tip without a calc/phone? Maybe they should have paid attention in math class.
That's 3rd grade math.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
This is a diversion. Who even came across doing it? Even some more mathematical portions of statistics and geometry the only place I came across an opportunity to use them was during Talmudic studies. And yes every single subject of HS math is touched upon in Talmudic studies, but not everyone will necessarily get to all of those places.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »
That's 3rd grade math.
Maybe they should have paid attention in math class.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »

Now you're debating the curriculum. These things matter for college readiness:

- Pre-law is going to require reading and writing
- Engineering is going to require advanced math and physics
- Pre-med is going to require background in bio and chem

Most people need some of the stuff they learn in H.S. even if few people need all of it.

Especially if so many people are going to learn for a few years post-high school and do college in their mid/late 20s, it would be very helpful for them to be able to place out of classes in college and have an easier path to a degree/grad school. It would help young families reach higher income brackets faster without compromising time learning. High school seems like a great place to acquire this background.

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »
The states only interest in education is in ensuring that kids get the knowledge and skills required to be functioning adults in society. To do this, they should look at results.

The elephant in the room is the fact that they can't do that because it would serve as an indictment of the public school system that's failing in it's basic mandate.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »
The states only interest in education is in ensuring that kids get the knowledge and skills required to be functioning adults in society. To do this, they should look at results.

The elephant in the room is the fact that they can't do that because it would serve as an indictment of the public school system that's failing in it's basic mandate.
Kids coming out of chassidishe schos do not have these skills. Anyone who left that community (and therefore needs to function in 'normal' society) will tell you that.