Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Equifax Data Breach Settlement - Free credit monitoring or $125 cash payment  (Read 21119 times)

Offline Boss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
In September of 2017, Equifax announced a data breach that exposed the personal information of 147 million people

The FTC is working on a settlement and said consumers should visit www.ftc.gov/Equifax for more information, and sign up for FTC email updates at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFTC/subscriber/new?topic_id=USFTC_109 about the settlement.

The settlement is per person so you can also do for your spouse, parents or adult children but you’ll need to sign up with another email address for each individual

Offline pcgeek

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
In September of 2017, Equifax announced a data breach that exposed the personal information of 147 million people

The FTC is working on a settlement and said consumers should visit www.ftc.gov/Equifax for more information, and sign up for FTC email updates at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFTC/subscriber/new?topic_id=USFTC_109 about the settlement.

The settlement is per person so you can also do for your spouse, parents or adult children but you’ll need to sign up with another email address for each individual
Direct link: https://www.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/file-a-claim

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
To get the payment you have to certify that you are paying for credit monitoring. Not a good idea to lie. But if there's a cheap monitoring service, I would do it just to do my part in sticking it to EFX for how they tried to hide the breach.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Should I be happy that I'm eligible or angry that I'm part of the breach? ::)
#TYH

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Should I be happy that I'm eligible or angry that I'm part of the breach? ::)
Both!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Will Chase Credit Journey count as credit monitoring?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Boss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
It's defiantly worth a try

Offline Boss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I'm wondering what's the minimum age I can do for my children, anyone know?

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
To get the payment you have to certify that you are paying for credit monitoring. Not a good idea to lie. But if there's a cheap monitoring service, I would do it just to do my part in sticking it to EFX for how they tried to hide the breach.
Discover has free credit monitoring, other banks too. Credit karma might count as well.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
Will Chase Credit Journey count as credit monitoring?

It doesn't seem like they plan to check up on you, looks like an honesty pledge to me. They ask you to certify that you are currently paying for a credit monitoring service and that you plan to continue paying for it for 6 months.

In my opinion, if there is a credit monitoring service that charges at least $0.01 and will cover me for the next 6 months at that cost, that counts. I will sign up for the service first and then fill out the EFX form so I can say I "already" have monitoring.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
Discover has free credit monitoring, other banks too. Credit karma might count as well.

By definition if you have free monitoring you are not paying for it, so you will not be able to truthfully certify eligibility for the $125.

Settlement Benefit: Cash Alternative Reimbursement Compensation: If you already have some other kind of credit monitoring or protection services, and do not claim the free Credit Monitoring Services available through the settlement, you may file a claim for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation for up to $125. To claim Alternative Reimbursement Compensation you must certify that you have some form of credit monitoring or protection services on the date you submit your claim form and that you will keep those services for a minimum of six (6) months.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
By definition if you have free monitoring you are not paying for it, so you will not be able to truthfully certify eligibility for the $125.

I don't see that in your quote.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

Where does it say it must be paid?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gadman56

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
FAKO credit karma is good enough for me. traded my identity for $125. guess that is all i'm worth!

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Where does it say it must be paid?
It doesn't. It is an ethical decision for everyone to file or not for the potential $125.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
I'm planning on filing for all the time I spent researching whether or not my info was compromised, what I could do to protect myself, etc.

Any reason not to?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
From DOC:

[Update 7/24/19: nullstring notes that the terms limit time spent for “Settlement Class Members who spent time on Preventative Measures fairly traceable to the Data Breach.” I’m not sure if things like requesting your credit report or reviewing your Credit Karma are called ‘fairly traceable’. They probably have a history of when you logged in, so it’s ‘traceable’ in that sense, but it might have to be traceable also in that you only did it due to the data breach, e.g. if you only started monitoring your credit since that time out of concern from the breach.]

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
It doesn't. It is an ethical decision for everyone to file or not for the potential $125.
What is the ethical question? They don't say you need paid monitoring. They say if you have monitoring you are eligible for 125. end of story. No ethical dilemma here
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
I definitely spent more than 10 hours in the weeks following the data breach - doing online"freaking out" research in terms of possible damage control, whether I was compromised, where my data might be, who might have it, how I could find out, changing passwords....and yeah, that was definitely all due to the breach.

How well could I prove all that? That might be difficult.

What is the ethical question? They don't say you need paid monitoring. They say if you have monitoring you are eligible for 125. end of story. No ethical dilemma here

+1

Aside from anything else, Mother$%^*ers allowed my identity to be stolen. Then sold their stock in the company before letting us know that our identities had been stolen. Exec who sold almost $1M in stock options 2 weeks before announcing the news, was just sentenced to prison for insider trading. He got...wait for it...4 months. Oh, and he had to pay an extra $8k. How do they let them off this easy?!

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/2019/lr24541.htm

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/former-equifax-employee-sentenced-insider-trading

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
I'm planning on filing for all the time I spent researching whether or not my info was compromised, what I could do to protect myself, etc.
Did you actually do this?