Author Topic: Does Claiming Baggage/return/purchase protection trigger F/R?  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Does Claiming Baggage/return/purchase protection trigger F/R?
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
I just got an FR on my 3 Amex accounts, they are all open close to a year, I never carried any balance more than 1 week (even before the statement ended), currently have no outstanding balance, I am wondering what happened, I assume that claiming baggage protection in the full amount caused it. Because the day I got reimbursed for that, I got an FR on my accounts.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline shirlhak

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Does Claiming Baggage/return/purchase protection trigger F/R?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
what does "FR" stand for?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
what does "FR" stand for?

Financial Review
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Are they asking you for your Tax Returns?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »
I just got an FR on my 3 Amex accounts, they are all open close to a year, I never carried any balance more than 1 week (even before the statement ended), currently have no outstanding balance, I am wondering what happened, I assume that claiming baggage protection in the full amount caused it. Because the day I got reimbursed for that, I got an FR on my accounts.

I highly doubt that's what triggered it.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I don't see any other reason, because in the last 2 months, there was no special activity going on.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
+1

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
quote author=AsherO link=topic=10580.msg128877#msg128877 date=1318179403]
[/quote]What's Amex's protection against people who just claim everything they buy was lost (up to the 10k/yr max)?! There has to be some kind of internal limit, and this is definitely a way to enforce it. Granted, if it leaks they can be in legal trouble - as Experian learnt when they had special security tracking on VIP's accounts.
It's still a mystery to me how Amex can sustain a program thats solely based on trust. I guess the ratio of honest vs. criminals is high, but a $10,000 loss is more than they make out of a bunch of normal acct's and I bet you can game the yearly limit by getting a new card again and again
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline APoshiterYid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
Frankly, AmEx abuses the whole concept of FR, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's what did it. I have had numerous friends that got FRed for stupid reasons, not having anything to do with financial stability. Anyone here know a lawyer that is holding in these matters? I am truly tempted to get a CA suit together on this, if it is actually illegal how they misuse/abuse hte whole concept of FRs.
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
Frankly, AmEx abuses the whole concept of FR, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's what did it. I have had numerous friends that got FRed for stupid reasons, not having anything to do with financial stability. Anyone here know a lawyer that is holding in these matters? I am truly tempted to get a CA suit together on this, if it is actually illegal how they misuse/abuse hte whole concept of FRs.
I don't see why they can't ask random people to prove their statements. The only case for a CA is if they discriminate - say anyone who goes to cheap restaurants, countries etc.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
I don't see why they can't ask random people to prove their statements. The only case for a CA is if they discriminate - say anyone who goes to cheap restaurants, countries etc.
No. if we can prove that people that claimed any protection for example got FR'd, then this is an scam of their side, that they claim to provide all benefits, and in fact, people that are taking advantage are getting a hard time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
No. if we can prove that people that claimed any protection for example got FR'd, then this is an scam of their side, that they claim to provide all benefits, and in fact, people that are taking advantage are getting a hard time.
very true. If you can get an internal memo out of amex...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »

Scam? Interesting. I was under the impression a creditor would and should be allowed to ensure its risk exposure is in line with the what the borrower claimed his or income was. I find it truly hypocritical that a person who lies on a credit application calls foul when a company-creditor refuses to provide benefits based on that lie.

(Not saying you lied, of course.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »
AJK If they are specifically targetting people who make insurance claims, it is full out insurance fraud. They are discrimnating against the claimers.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
AJK If they are specifically targetting people who make insurance claims, it is full out insurance fraud. They are discrimnating against the claimers.

Even assuming arguendo you're right, you don't have a real solid foundation to your claim when AMEX can come right back and say you lied on your credit application.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »
If an employee would leak the policy...
& I think its discrimintaion even if I didn't lie - the FR isn't fun
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:34:56 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
If an employee would leak the policy...
& I think its discrimintaion even if I didn't lie - the FR isn't fun

If you didn't lie you the FR is nothing you need fear, though it may be slightly annoying.

Most people who freak out about the FR are worried their accounts will be shut because they lied on their apps.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Scam? Interesting. I was under the impression a creditor would and should be allowed to ensure its risk exposure is in line with the what the borrower claimed his or income was. I find it truly hypocritical that a person who lies on a credit application calls foul when a company-creditor refuses to provide benefits based on that lie.

(Not saying you lied, of course.)
I actually wrote an amount less than what I earned, because I didn't want to get a big limit and eventually get FR'd. my aggravation is still big, because of the actual hold they put on the account, and because of the nastiness they are dealing with.
I did not say that FR'ing people randomly or for good reason (like: carrying big balances; late payments; too many cards at one time) is a scam. What I did say, and I think that you agree with that is, that if we would confirm that there is a reason for them to trigger FR for people claiming their insurance,  then this would be a huge scam from their side. So, I really don't understand what you are saying there.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
If you didn't lie you the FR is nothing you need fear, though it may be slightly annoying.

Most people who freak out about the FR are worried their accounts will be shut because they lied on their apps.
I don't fear it - merely commenting on a possible explanation - what do they do to people who claim everything they buy is lost?
& just because I didn't lie doesn't mean I can prove everything I said....