Author Topic: Chiyuv Trip Planning Master Thread  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Chiyuv Trip Planning Master Thread
« on: July 27, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
Unfortunately this past year has been a slow trip year for me due to me being a chiyuv.
The good news is that im almost done!
I found that trying to plan on trip (without judging...) during these months have been very difficult from many diff aspects. Whether it may be Planning flight times around minyanim, finding flights that have minyanim , or gates that have minyanim... Finding a minyan at the destination , getting a hold of a shul to find the right times, if you are strict then an open Amud to be chazzan and while the same time not letting this overtake your whole trip and so on and so forth

Hopefully there isnt anyone that will need to plan their trip in this thread ever! but if C"V someone has to then there should be a place that is geared towards that need and hopefully people can give guidance from past travel experience about minyanim, suggestions for destinations, flights etc

Back to the point at hand....
I would like to go on a trip for a couple days or a week in august outside the USA. Other then Israel, London or Panama, Does anyone have any suggestions for a spot that would work to not stress to get a minyan 3x a day (and i'd assume that if there was such a place it most probably has kosher food as well)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:45:07 PM by Cbs »

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Chiyuv Trip Planning Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »
Maybe your question is not specific enough. Obviously,  any major city with a frum Jewish community (e.g. Paris, Rome, Zurich, Melbourne,  Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio etc etc) have minyan three times a day.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »
Ill try to narrow down - im thinking Malaga / Marbella, Gibraltar

the question is basically to help narrow down the details as appose to the general info

For example, i was recently in panama and i can tell you that that is a great place for a Chiyuv to go. there are 3 shuls in town, each one has a 3x day minyan.
the 2 Main shuls youll need pasports to get into as its heavy security but Chabad you dont.
And id suggest not to stay in the Westin there because thats would be a 20 min drive each way which would be annoying

Some good tips like that can be helpful.

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Gibraltar is the place to go then

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
Also south of france is fine - I was in Nice as Chiyuv, no problem finding minyan three times/day, several options and minyanim at different times. I didn't always daven from amud though. Also option in other towns in the area if required - Juan Les Pins, Cannes etc
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:46:40 PM by G11600 »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
Recommendation: If your question is very specific then include that in the title and at the very least include it in the OP.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
Also south of france is fine - I was in Nice as Chiyuv, no problem finding minyan three times/day, several options and minyanim at different times. I didn't always daven from amud though. Also option in other towns in the area if required - Juan Les Pins, Cannes etc

Thank you very helpful

Recommendation: If your question is very specific then include that in the title and at the very least include it in the OP.
It's not so specific but I was trying to narrow it down. It's more of a general topic

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
Having been a chiyuv myself, I think that the biggest challenges are minyan planning on travel days, and making sure your activity schedule doesn't take you away from Mincha - obviously this is harder in the winter than the summer.  As an example - if you go to Disney in California, and are not guaranteed that there will be a minyan in the park, even if the nearest shul is 15-20 minutes away, it's still at least an hour away for you to leave the park, find your car, etc.

My two oddest stories as a Chiyuv:
- I was in a minor league baseball stadium with some friends - but we were only 7. We initially thought that we could make a late ma'ariv minyan, but were worried we wouldn't make it. This is in Florida, 30 min. North of WPB, and not in a very Jewish area. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw one guy wearing a Yarmulka. He was there with his dad and BIL, just enough to make a minyan.

- My Dad's yahrzeit was the Friday of my Nephew's Bar Mitzvah. Normally NBD. Except I live in NY, and the Bar Mitzvah (which I was driving to) was in Detroit. I davened Maariv in Teaneck, Shachris in Cleveland, and Mincha in Detroit. Saying Kaddish in 3 different states over several hundred miles.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
Never been but Cancun sounds like a good option.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 10:21:16 AM »
Thank you very helpful

The Chabad in Nice has (at least in summer) several minyanim for each tefilla, including shabbat (I think 3 minyanim for shacharit, including hashkama). For Mincha/Maariv there were several options around Shkia and IIRC a late  maariv. There is also a very good milchig restaurant there. You could contact them for details.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
I don't think Chabad has 3x daily minyan all year. Their website lists weekday minyan in "high season".

I think places like that really dpeendsif you are OK with minyan 1x day to day a kaddish or if you need 3x day. If it's the latter, no tourist only place is going to work to have 99.99% certainty of 3x minyan outside of big travel weeks (yeshiva week etc).

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »
Having been a chiyuv myself, I think that the biggest challenges are minyan planning on travel days, and making sure your activity schedule doesn't take you away from Mincha - obviously this is harder in the winter than the summer.  As an example - if you go to Disney in California, and are not guaranteed that there will be a minyan in the park, even if the nearest shul is 15-20 minutes away, it's still at least an hour away for you to leave the park, find your car, etc.

I agree. and it takes up a nice portion of the evening on trips if u do mincha maariv together.
the problem with relying on websites or Minyan app is that many of them are not up to date and last thing u want to do is scramble around before shkia when u end up in a deserted shul especially in a foreign place

I've had a couple interesting minyan stories too, but one that sticks out was i planned a ski trip to utah with 7 guys and i asked the rabbi to come and i figured ill find 2 more - long story short we landed later and guys didnt want to miss the slope so we had to pull off a late minyan.... when we checked into the hotel in park city we met to yarmulkas hanging around - g-d sent- exactly what we needed !

lol it all sounds good to me . but gotta be careful which area u choose bec u dont want to be driving 45 min to a minyan 3x a day...

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:42 AM »
I agree. and it takes up a nice portion of the evening on trips if u do mincha maariv together.
the problem with relying on websites or Minyan app is that many of them are not up to date and last thing u want to do is scramble around before shkia when u end up in a deserted shul especially in a foreign place

That's why you need to call ahead, maybe 1-2 weeks in advance if you can. Obviously from the point of the Chiyuv/visiting mispallel it can be scary, but in today's day and age where we've witnessed 3 shul shootings in the last 12 months in the USA Alone - sometimes a stranger showing up at your shul (especially in a small town) might not be the most welcome site.

Related to this - there was a thread I started a while back about not posting minyan times. A lot of security personnel are recommending that shuls not post minyan times on their websites. So it's very possible that more and more we'll see minyan times not be as publicly available.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
An interesting poll would be:

Which best describes how you plan trips regarding Minyan?

a. Only to city with local community 3x daily minyan
b. Vacation destination with Chabad (or the like) 3x day advertised
c. Vacation destination with Chabad (or the like) 1x day advertised
d. OK skipping minyan

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:17:17 AM by shaulyaakov »

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
An interesting poll would be:

Which best describes how you plan trips regarding Minyan?

a. Only to city with local community 3x daily minyan
b. Vacation destination with Chabad (or the like) 3x day advertised
c. Vacation destination with Chabad (or the like) 1x day advertised
d. OK skipping minyan
e. All of the above
FTFY :)

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Do you just want a minyan to say kaddish or do you want an amud?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
Maybe your question is not specific enough. Obviously,  any major city with a frum Jewish community (e.g. Paris, Rome, Zurich, Melbourne,  Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio etc etc) have minyan three times a day.
I'd be skeptical about a daily minyan in Santiago.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »
Why?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
Do you just want a minyan to say kaddish or do you want an amud?
I'm not so makpid on amud if im traveling or in another shul that has a chiyuv.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
I'm not so makpid on amud if im traveling or in another shul that has a chiyuv.

Along this vane (and probably slightly OT) - While I had no problem taking the amud in the shuls I was already comfortable with, I had a hard time taking the amud in other shuls, that I just happened to be davening at - for a lot of reasons:

- Minhag and nusach would sometimes throw me off, or make me worried that I'd mess up. (i.e. someone who usually davens ashkenaz davening nusach sefard for example)
- Speed - I don't know which is worse, being the chazan who is too slow in a speedy minyan, or the speedy chazan in a slow minyan
- Hat and Jacket requirement - I know that this statement will illicit various opnions, but as someone who doesn't wear a hat (not since I was 15 or 16) and doesn't regularly wear a jacket, I felt very uncomfortable leading a minyan that required me to do so. Not because I have a disdain for it, and not so much because I'd probably need to borrow a hat/jacket from a stranger, but because I didn't feel I was ra'oy to be the chazzan. It's not that I don't feel frum, but I feel that a shaliach tzibbur should be someone who truly reflects the olam. By me putting a hat and jacket on to be the chazzan, is me simpling pretending to be something I am not to get a desired result. I don't become a hashkafic black-hatter so to speak by putting on the hat and jacket, and I felt that made me unfit.

I understand that many suggest it's a kavod hatfila thing - appropriate dress for someone leading the amud, and that the only condition is that I am a shomer shabbos erlicheh yid, who knows how to lead davening, I still think that if your shul has that minhag, they expect their baalei tefila to be something that I am not, and it's disingenuous to pretend even for saying 1 extra kaddish.

That's not to say I never did, but there were times where I backed out of taking the amud, and I always had a chip on my shoulder about it.