Author Topic: Chiyuv Trip Planning Master Thread  (Read 1178 times)

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chiyuv Trip Planning Master Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Do you just want a minyan to say kaddish or do you want an amud?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
Maybe your question is not specific enough. Obviously,  any major city with a frum Jewish community (e.g. Paris, Rome, Zurich, Melbourne,  Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio etc etc) have minyan three times a day.
I'd be skeptical about a daily minyan in Santiago.
Purpose > Pleasure

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »
Why?

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Platinum Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
Do you just want a minyan to say kaddish or do you want an amud?
I'm not so makpid on amud if im traveling or in another shul that has a chiyuv.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
I'm not so makpid on amud if im traveling or in another shul that has a chiyuv.

Along this vane (and probably slightly OT) - While I had no problem taking the amud in the shuls I was already comfortable with, I had a hard time taking the amud in other shuls, that I just happened to be davening at - for a lot of reasons:

- Minhag and nusach would sometimes throw me off, or make me worried that I'd mess up. (i.e. someone who usually davens ashkenaz davening nusach sefard for example)
- Speed - I don't know which is worse, being the chazan who is too slow in a speedy minyan, or the speedy chazan in a slow minyan
- Hat and Jacket requirement - I know that this statement will illicit various opnions, but as someone who doesn't wear a hat (not since I was 15 or 16) and doesn't regularly wear a jacket, I felt very uncomfortable leading a minyan that required me to do so. Not because I have a disdain for it, and not so much because I'd probably need to borrow a hat/jacket from a stranger, but because I didn't feel I was ra'oy to be the chazzan. It's not that I don't feel frum, but I feel that a shaliach tzibbur should be someone who truly reflects the olam. By me putting a hat and jacket on to be the chazzan, is me simpling pretending to be something I am not to get a desired result. I don't become a hashkafic black-hatter so to speak by putting on the hat and jacket, and I felt that made me unfit.

I understand that many suggest it's a kavod hatfila thing - appropriate dress for someone leading the amud, and that the only condition is that I am a shomer shabbos erlicheh yid, who knows how to lead davening, I still think that if your shul has that minhag, they expect their baalei tefila to be something that I am not, and it's disingenuous to pretend even for saying 1 extra kaddish.

That's not to say I never did, but there were times where I backed out of taking the amud, and I always had a chip on my shoulder about it.