Author Topic: HER FIRST CREDIT CARD  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: HER FIRST CREDIT CARD
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Yep I showed as an au on my dads account since 2003 without a social, I believe that helped me get to where i am now.

That's really good to know. Is there any age limit at all? Do they ask for a DOB?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
Whadya mean no address, where did the card go to?

The card went to the the address that belonged to the primary user/applicant.

In other words, my father signed up for the card with his social/address and added me as an AU.

Both his card and my card were mailed to his address.

However, the card account showed up on MY credit report despite not giving them my address. (Though, now that I think about it, a "former address" on my credit report is my parent's address... maybe that's how they did it.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Yep I showed as an au on my dads account since 2003 without a social, I believe that helped me get to where i am now.

I'm not sure why that would help. On every credit report that I have seen, Citi specifically states that this is an account of an "Authorized User." Lenders know, when they make an inquiry, what authorized user means - in other words, just because you're an AU, it doesn't mean your a credit worthy risk. After all, it's someone else who is on the line, and it's that someone else, not you, who is presumably paying on time and consistently.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm not sure why that would help. On every credit report that I have seen, Citi specifically states that this is an account of an "Authorized User." Lenders know, when they make an inquiry, what authorized user means - in other words, just because you're an AU, it doesn't mean your a credit worthy risk. After all, it's someone else who is on the line, and it's that someone else, not you, who is presumably paying on time and consistently.
i can tell u with 100% certainty that citi bank counts an account u r an au on as ur own credit

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
(Though, now that I think about it, a "former address" on my credit report is my parent's address... maybe that's how they did it.)
Exactly my point :D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »
i can tell u with 100% certainty that citi bank counts an account u r an au on as ur own credit

Seems odd to me, considering someone else is on the hook. That's akin to Citi considering me to have good credit because you pay your bills on time.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
Seems odd to me, considering someone else is on the hook. That's akin to Citi considering me to have good credit because you pay your bills on time.
trust me i dont have the patience to explain it fully but short version they would not approve me cause i was an AU on my fathers card which had cl larger then income i was reporting but when i got it removed i was instantly approved. on the other hand my wife who had no credit except as au on my cards got instant approval from citi for an aa card

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
My wife is an au on my starwoods card which I've had for over 4 years and never missed a payment. If I wanted to get her her own card now do you think I can apply her for a reg citi card based on her being an au or I should try starting with one of their student cards first?

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
My wife is an au on my starwoods card which I've had for over 4 years and never missed a payment. If I wanted to get her her own card now do you think I can apply her for a reg citi card based on her being an au or I should try starting with one of their student cards first?
if it was me i would try a reg card and then if that doesnt work try a student card

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
if it was me i would try a reg card and then if that doesnt work try a student card

thnx
You dont think that having applied and gotten rejected from citi will decrease her chances of getting approved for the student card? I appreciate your help.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
thnx
You dont think that having applied and gotten rejected from citi will decrease her chances of getting approved for the student card? I appreciate your help.
it willprob have minimal effect

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Any recommendations about which card to try for then? I don't really care so much about the rewards because I imagine I will be doing all my spending on my starwoods anyway. Just want something w/o an annual fee because I've read here on the forums that you don't want to cancel your first card if you can help it. A good signup bonus would be nice. Based on what I've seen in dans cc post would you say the Thank You Preferred? Thanx for taking the time to help out a noobie I'm trying to do my research and I know not everyone is willing to help.

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
That's really good to know. Is there any age limit at all? Do they ask for a DOB?
I just graduated elementary school back then so I dont recall details. I have no clue what was requested to add me, but my dad claims he just put my name in....If anyone knows what bofa req in 03 to add an au feel free to share. On a side note, they can track by primary cardholders name and address so you the au will show up sometimes on reports if youre a member of the same family and at the same address, like AJK and Elikay mentioned. Finally, I didnt not say that I was added to that card and straightaway got the Amex Plat, rather I was approved for a crappy Cap1 card with $500 limit which I kept until last year. Add a co sign on a lease and a Cap 1 no hassle cash for "excellent credit" and I already got approved this year (since February) for 2 citis, 3 chase, and 2 amex.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
I spoke to citi credit dept -- they told me by being a auth user it definitely helps the au credit --- when u add a auth they do not care who iy is u can even add ur dog!!,  a dead person etc --no one every checks as the prime is the one who is responsible

i just found out a 25 year old card i have is a "joint" card ( can not fig out why i ever wanted a joint card!!) and since it is joint "i" can not reduce the credit line with out my wife approving it ---and the nuty thing is my wife does not even have a social and today can never get a card without a social -- i would cancel but it is an old old card 

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »
In order to be a considered an au on amex and build your credit is it enough just be an additional cardmember or do you have to be an account agent or account manager?
thnx

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »
do not know what a "do you have to be an account agent or account manager?" is on a c.c. --I would ad the person with name address social ,just be sure it does not make them "joint holder" as u want 2b the primary card holder an just give them the right to use the card

Offline smiley face

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
This is an old post that i pulled up when doing research on first cc's
I am applying for a secured card with a $39 annual fee @bank of america (did not find anywhere else that would do it).
After reading this thread i got cold feet abt opening it cuz planned on closing it as soon as i would get approved for a new card-sais it isn't good to close your first cc right away?
any opinions
also if i do get this card how long do i wait until applying to chase, starwoods...
thanks for your time

Offline smiley face

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »
I have said it once and I will say it again citi counts au's as ur own credit. So if she gets added on to a ur card as an au then after it shows on her CR u can apply for a citi bank aa card and have good chance of getting approved
how long must u be an au b4 applying for your own cc (with no credit history)

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »
how long must u be an au b4 applying for your own cc (with no credit history)

#1 :)

Here you go #2

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
I would add as an au and check my credit report and see when it shows up on my. Credit report and then apply