Topic Wiki

Tips when renting with Hertz:

Hertz #1 Club Gold Plus Rewards Program
The Hertz Gold Plus RewardsŪ program is free and very beneficial. You can enroll Here

A) After your first Hertz Gold Rental you do not need to go to the counter again (At locations that participate in Hertz Gold Service).
They will have your receipt preprinted (and waiting for you in the car at many airports), so you can just drive out!

B) For every dollar you spend they credit you points on the base rate of the rental and sometimes they even have double or triple point promotions.
These points can be redeemed for free rental days starting at 550 points for a weekend day or 2750 for a week.

C) Earn Elite Status quickly. You'll reach Hertz Five Star after just 7 rentals which will get you a complimentary 1 car class upgrade if available.
At 20 Rentals you'll reach Hertz Presidents Circle with a guaranteed complimentary upgrade. Upgrades are to a maximum of a premium.
There are many other benefits. check them out Here.

AAA gives up to 1000 hertz points as a signup bonus or you can signup here for a 500 point signup bonus.

CDP
A CDP is a corporate account number but is not limited to private companies as many sales are tied with designated CDPs.
To find  cheap rates try different CDP corporate numbers many can be found in this thread or in the Car Rental Corporate Code Roundup thread.
Most CDPs do not waive underage fees with the exception of USAA (77694) but may be subject to proof of membership, and the Yeshiva Group (2046380) both waive the fee down to 18 y/o and have very good rates. AAA may also waive underage fees if the renter is above 20 years old.

Other great codes are:

Yeshiva: 2129719 Waives underage 18-19

Amex Travel Services: 1022855

AAdvatange: 217692

LAMC 3 marketing: 1906870

Yeshiva Student Association: 1876837

Chabad: 1908469

CBS Travel :  1976539

AAA: There are multiple 212 and 240 are examples or you can just type in AAA in cdp and it will come up

Car & Driver: 1757580

There are many more but we haven't found them to be cheaper then these.

To get your own CDP
You can sign up HERE if you are a sole proprietor or business owner with fewer than 100 employees.
You'll get 5 bonus credits for enrolling, an additional 5 credits for enrolling online, plus double credit for all your qualified rentals during the first 90 days after you enroll.
Every 15 credits you earn 1 free rental, and you can get a discount of up to 25% off on every rental worldwide.
After you join, you'll receive an e-mail within 2 business days to with your company's Corporate Discount Program (CDP) number and all the details of the program. Link.

CV Codes

CV codes are ConVention codes and go in the "Convention Number (CV):" box.
"CV" codes are hit or miss they can give amazing rates better then any CDP or PC or they can leave the rate the same, and they also work in conjunction with any CDP and PC code.
It doesn't hurt to add it to a reservation and can pull up flat rates of $30 a day for a premium car.
This works especially well in places that are expensive and often lowers the price substantially especially in major cities like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami.
Meeting rates generally include unlimited mileage. CV weekend rates start at 12pm thursday through 12pm sunday. Friday pick ups, require a minimum 2 day rental. Extra day rate for weekly rentals is 1/5th of the weekly rate.

PC Codes

PC codes are Promotional Coupons which vary from time to time and from rental to rental check HERE for a well kept list of the current valid codes and here for an alternate list (looks like the alternate list hasn't been updated for a while - most pc's are expired).

Other Useful Tips
Play with the dates and times:There are different rates for different times (high season - low season) so if you are flexible it may pay to check days before and after pick up. Generally weekends are cheaper than weekdays so if you pick up on a weekend it can lower your rate substantially just remember weekends start at 12pm on Thursday. Additionally sometimes an extra day on a weekly rate can be much more than the rate per day with the daily rate, try making the reservation only for the week and then extending it either at pick up or even during the rental.

Local Editions: Airport rentals are generally more expensive than Local Editions as there is airport fees and taxes. So look around ideally for Hertz locations in or at airport hotels that are accessible via the airport shuttle.

One way rentals:
When you are looking for a one way rental, every country and every corporate number will give a different price, usually its 1 of the following 3, either it will cost per mile or it will be unlimited miles with a drop fee or unlimited miles with no drop fee.
Look out it happens  sometimes the car you select they will charge $0.25 per mile while the next car class over will be unlimited miles with no drop fee, when it comes to one ways always look at all the car classes, I have seen many times a midsize SUV to be cheaper then a full size car.
Another thing to note is that certain locations in the same city will have a drop fee while others will not, for example to rent one way to NY, if you return to lynbrook NY there will always be a drop fee while if you return to brooklyn there is no drop fee and JFK will have a drop fee sometimes depending which country you use, sometimes it might be worth searching other pick up and other drop off locations nearby to get a totally different rate in a one way rental.

Underage
Many Hertz CDP's waive the underage fee in the usa - for example the Yeshiva association and USAA. Some countries do not waive underage.
UK 18-21 can not rent. 21-25 30GBP underage fee - no CDP's seem to waive atm.

Hertz Rate Matching
For most of the corporate locations in Europe, the UK and Australia it is sometimes possible to get Hertz to match their competitor's price so you can continue to earn points and status and enjoy their service.
Speak to your local Travel Agent.
Competitors Hertz will match.
Europe: Auto Europe, Avis, Enterprise, EuropCar, Kemwel, and Sixt
Australia and New Zealand: All

Get a status match real quick by messaging them on Twitter

Still not happy with your rates? Try posting here!

After you have rented please share you experience with others in the What did you reserve? What did you get? thread.

Coupon Spreadsheet http://bit.ly/hertzsavings
Alternate sheet Updated quite often: http://bit.ly/HertzDDF
« Last edited by Yo ssi on January 13, 2021, 03:07:37 PM »

Author Topic: Hertz Master Thread  (Read 2120291 times)

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hertz Master Thread
« Reply #580 on: July 04, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
I'm PC with them and over 25 :). They can only guarantee 1 upgrade for me, sometimes I  go from economy to full. Never to luxury from economy. Are you saying that there is a trick to do it?

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #581 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »
I'm PC with them and over 25 :). They can only guarantee 1 upgrade for me, sometimes I  go from economy to full. Never to luxury from economy. Are you saying that there is a trick to do it?
no trick, if your very lucky & you get a nice agent he can do it

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz presidents circle, National executive elite, Avis preferred. Accor platinum
« Reply #582 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
match the hertz presidents to national EE. when i checked out the ee aisle in ewr it was full of suburbans, jfk may be the same
then you can get it at an intermediate rate
(you can make a hertz reservation just in case)
i saw a suburban in executive aisle in jfk a few times.
they may not rent anything over a full size if youre under 25

Offline Lev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis Pr.
« Reply #583 on: July 04, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »
Just noticed that at DTW (maybe elsewhere as well), none of their vehicles are listed as prestige/adrenaline/green. They do take the $100 deposit but this still has some very good ramifications...
Without saying too much, since the rate code isn't the usual one, you can get prestige, like their ford mustang convertible (!!!) with the standard 600 points free day.
Obviously when using points it will initially show "unavailable", but since the rate code would match it will work with a workaround.
I know this could work because I've done it before, though it took a while for the agent to agree to actually give my a prestige for $20 a day (taxes).
V'hmayvin, yavin ;)

Offline chilzech

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
does anyone have the cdp for lamc marketing program 3?

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »
Just noticed that at DTW (maybe elsewhere as well), none of their vehicles are listed as prestige/adrenaline/green. They do take the $100 deposit but this still has some very good ramifications...
Without saying too much, since the rate code isn't the usual one, you can get prestige, like their ford mustang convertible (!!!) with the standard 600 points free day.
Obviously when using points it will initially show "unavailable", but since the rate code would match it will work with a workaround.
I know this could work because I've done it before, though it took a while for the agent to agree to actually give my a prestige for $20 a day (taxes).
V'hmayvin, yavin ;)
since whem was a mustang a prestige?

Offline DrDanny

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 05, 2012, 02:45:15 AM »
Gt 5.0 adrenaline I think

Offline A European

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
USAA - 77694
usaa is half the price of the rest am I missing something beside the one way rental?

Offline Lev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis Pr.
« Reply #588 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »
since whem was a mustang a prestige?
It's the so-called "adrenaline".
Have you ever driven the Mustang GT Premium convertible?! Doesn't sound like it!!

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »
It's the so-called "adrenaline".
Have you ever driven the Mustang GT Premium convertible?! Doesn't sound like it!!
nope just reg mustang convertible

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »
my dad got dropped off at a hertz location- he had a reservation for a month- and was picking up the car today. He got there and they have NO CARS available for the next few hours... seriously??? he called me and asked what he shud do.. i said call hertz and blast them.. anyone have better suggestions? )

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »
my dad got dropped off at a hertz location- he had a reservation for a month- and was picking up the car today. He got there and they have NO CARS available for the next few hours... seriously??? he called me and asked what he shud do.. i said call hertz and blast them.. anyone have better suggestions? )
is he early? dont think there is anything to do but wait and then complain later

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 07, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
is he early? dont think there is anything to do but wait and then complain later
no he went on time.. they ended up "finding" him a corolla after a bit of waiting, and taking 25$ off his rental. Seen better compensation- but at least he got a car and got to leave!

Offline bochur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 07, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
no he went on time.. they ended up "finding" him a corolla after a bit of waiting, and taking 25$ off his rental. Seen better compensation- but at least he got a car and got to leave!
call billing afte rthe rental, they are usually more generous than the rental location

presidentialplus

« Reply #594 on: July 08, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »

need a rental in montreal airport

YUL Jul 20 to Aug 15
22 y/o
looking from full size and up

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 08, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
need a rental in montreal airport

YUL Jul 20 to Aug 15
22 y/o
looking from full size and up
You have already posted in the relevant thread, double posting clogs up the forums.

presidentialplus

« Reply #596 on: July 08, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
I need to rent a car for 26 days, the monthly rate is much cheaper, if I return the car after 26 days will they charge me the monthly rate or the weekly rate?

Offline chilzech

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 08, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »
i know its a repeat but i need to rent soon,
does anyone have the cdp for lamc marketing program 3?

Offline EliteMavin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Delta silver medallion, Hilton Gold
« Reply #598 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
I need to rent a car for 26 days, the monthly rate is much cheaper, if I return the car after 26 days will they charge me the monthly rate or the weekly rate?

Reserve the car for 30 days, which will prob be the same price as 26 days. just return it after 26 if you need, and it should be the same price. AFAIK

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 09, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »
Potentially less I had a reservation in Miami and a week was cheaper than the four days I needed it for so I reserved it for a week and returned it early
And they took off a couple bucks maybe the taxes or surcharges for those days or something
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:46:00 AM by DrDanny »