Author Topic: Why I don’t live in Israel yet  (Read 14667 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Why I don’t live in Israel yet
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
That's sinas chinam? To me it seems like that's a very valid reason.
What I'm surprised is that I thought eretz Yisroel had the most diverse crowd of Jewish people. I imagined people would find their community

I am talking about the attitudes described by the author of the letter as to his reasons for not making aliyah.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2019, 11:52:23 AM »
Too far from my in-laws
Too close to my in-laws

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
I am talking about the attitudes described by the author of the letter as to his reasons for not making aliyah.
So am I.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Kabrams1618

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »
Many interesting responses  and valid specific questions for me.  I did have an excellent six figure job, pension option, great health care, nice house in a beach community so I  certainly was not fleeing or leaving because I had nothing to lose.  Sold or got rid of all material things, house, cars, furniture etc.  No lift, only two suitcases/ boxes per person.  Had small amount of savings to start. Also first year government gives new olim small monthly stipend to live. Actually had all family members stuff envelopes for a charity for additional money.  Got my foot in the door of a school as an assistant in a kindergarten for a maternity leave.   You do what you need to do. Things worked out.  First apartment taken sight unseen.  Still in apartment nine years later, turned out to be a perfect location.  No car, never really missed it.  Don’t miss any of the material things we dont have.
I will answer ex gingi ‘s valid question about why someone should move here in a separate post.
I really find the responses fascinating and eye opening.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
What is the definitions of mixed emotions? Your MIL driving off a cliff with your new Cadillac. Also moving to Israel (where you have no cadillac, just overcrowded public transportation)

Is it Eretz Yisroel or Israel? sigh.

As a preface I did 3 years of IDF and my parents live there I was spent my teens and ealry 20s there and developed some horrible habits during that time.

My main reasons are a little personal but...

1. Terrible pop culture
2. Yiddishkeit is so extreme in a very strange way. Very different from America.
3. Chinuch (kids going off)
4. Inconvenient/ schleppy lifestyle

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
So am I.

Quote from: Mishpacha Magazine
Outsiders are defined in many chareidi sectors by three factors: Are they foreigners/non-Israeli born? Do they work? Are they baalei teshuvah? If the answer to any one of these three questions about you is yes, then you may feel like an outcast and outsider. It is possible to overcome any one of these “handicaps” to some extent, although rarely completely. If more than one of these is true, you face an uphill battle and likely will never be totally accepted or welcomed by the chareidi community. You will be treated particularly badly if all three of these conditions are true.

How is this not sinnas chinnum? I am not asking tounge in cheek - but is it acceptable to look down upon other Jews if they were born elsewhere? A jew that wants to provide for his family should be looked down upon? And everything else aside - we're shunning Ba'alei Teshuva? If that's the case, what's the point of Kiruv? It's like saying - "Let's bring someone closer to hashem so that they can live in a world where they'll be ostracized because their parents aren't frum."

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:29:51 PM by Yonah »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Its actually sad that you should ask this. Unless there is something about Chabad shitos that I am unaware of.
That there may be an answer to the question doesn't invalidate the question. If the reason is that it may be better for frumkeit then that can be countered by how there are ways that it is worse etc.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 01:57:58 PM »
AFAIK according to most Halachic authorities there is no such mitzvah.
Incorrect.
Not a Chiyuv but most definitely a mitzvah.
I believe chabadniks confuse this because the Rebbe didn't live in E"y. However, that was clearly a matter of the Rebbe's mission. No shliach would be encouraged to move to E"y, but for a regular person living in USA - of course it's a mitzvah of yishuv E"Y.

By the way, have you ever visited E"y? Becasue that's much more of a Halachik issue, to leave once visiting.

Interesting read here - https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/97583/jewish/Reeh-Living-in-Eretz-Yisrael.htm
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:03:12 PM by AussieMan »

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
And security. (Though currently the USA is starting to feel almost as unsafe as Israel. But if course it's not even comparable..)
Not comparable as E"Y is the safest place in the world!

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
Isn't there a general mitzvah of living in e"y?

Not according to most poskim. This is all very well explained in מאמר מצות ישוב ארץ ישראל in ויואל משה.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
This is ridiculous. The list of Gedolim who tried to live in Eretz Yisrael throughout galus is very long.

It's a mitzva according to most poskim.

Even after 1948, almost all Gedolim still encouraged people to live there (all things being equal).

#FakeNewsAlert

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 02:32:24 PM »
Many interesting responses  and valid specific questions for me.  I did have an excellent six figure job, pension option, great health care, nice house in a beach community so I  certainly was not fleeing or leaving because I had nothing to lose.  Sold or got rid of all material things, house, cars, furniture etc.  No lift, only two suitcases/ boxes per person.  Had small amount of savings to start. Also first year government gives new olim small monthly stipend to live. Actually had all family members stuff envelopes for a charity for additional money.  Got my foot in the door of a school as an assistant in a kindergarten for a maternity leave.   You do what you need to do. Things worked out.  First apartment taken sight unseen.  Still in apartment nine years later, turned out to be a perfect location.  No car, never really missed it.  Don’t miss any of the material things we dont have.
I will answer ex gingi ‘s valid question about why someone should move here in a separate post.
I really find the responses fascinating and eye opening.

I think your post begs the question. What changed in your life? Was there a cataclysmic life event that took place? Major religious awakening? What prompted you to suddenly leave it all with three grown kids? You must admit that yours if far from  a typical life change that is made, especially someone if your economic situation....

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »
How is this not sinnas chinnum? I am not asking tounge in cheek - but is it acceptable to look down upon other Jews if they were born elsewhere? A jew that wants to provide for his family should be looked down upon? And everything else aside - we're shunning Ba'alei Teshuva? If that's the case, what's the point of Kiruv? It's like saying - "Let's bring someone closer to hashem so that they can live in a world where they'll be ostracized because their parents aren't frum."
Right or wrong, it's the way the culture is. Saying that you believe it should be different doesn't change the current reality.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
Right or wrong, it's the way the culture is. Saying that you believe it should be different doesn't change the current reality.

I agree that's what the culture is, but I can't understand how this can be "Right"?

What happened to welcoming in strangers? To the phrase - "בקןם שבעלי תשובה עומדים אין צדיקים גמורים יכולים לעמוד?"

Offline Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
I think your post begs the question. What changed in your life? Was there a cataclysmic life event that took place? Major religious awakening? What prompted you to suddenly leave it all with three grown kids? You must admit that yours if far from  a typical life change that is made, especially someone if your economic situation....

It was actually not a rash decision .  We went to Israel for 4-6 weeks every summer for eight years to acclimate and go with our eyes wide open.  I think the thing that finally pushed us to go was our desire not to have our family split in two countries as some of the kids would soon be of the age that their situation may keep them in the U.S., spouse etc.  Our  family was too close for the family to be split.  All The kids were also gung ho for the move which is crucial in the success.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »
It's a mitzva according to most poskim.

That's interesting. I've never seen it. Can you please post sources/quotes?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan