Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Maine Master Thread  (Read 18852 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Maine Master Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
We planned to shoot the sunrise got up at 2:00 AM, drove to Schoodic, hiked out to this spot in the pitch black, and were in position for the 4:00 sunrise. The sun, however, slept in.  ;D
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
Great pics! - Thanks for sharing.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »
Beautiful pics.

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
A user PMed me to ask about my trip to Maine in 2008.  I wrote up this whole response and then I thought I should share it with the forums.  Here it is:

I was only really in Maine for 2.5 days or so.  I spent about  a day in Portland and the rest was in Acadia National Park.

First stop was Portland Head Light (http://www.portlandheadlight.com/).  We drove straight there from Monsey so it was a nice place to get out and stretch/walk around a bit.

Then we stopped by an Alpaca farm just to see the animals. http://www.wintersgone.com/store/  It was pouring rain so we didnt really see much here.  Later on in the trip we went to a different Alpaca place which was very nice.

We stayed overnight in Bar Harbor just outside of Acadia Nat'l Park. I don't recall the name of the place (I found it! www.sunnysidecottages.com/‎) but it's an independently owned hotel with small bright yellow cottages all over the property.  Downtown Bar Harbor is beautiful and great to walk around.

Acadia http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm   Bar Harbor http://www.barharborinfo.com/
More on Acadia and Bar Harbor http://www.visitmaine.com/region/downeast/bar_harbor/

We also stopped at Black Woods Farm Alpacas in Cherryfield, ME, and Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge in Baring, ME.  If I remember correctly, we were able to pick wild blueberries for free in Moosehorn.  http://www.fws.gov/northeast/moosehorn/opportunities.html
The Black Woods Farm folks were extremely nice and explained a lot about Alpaca breeding, care, and the uses for their fur.  http://blackwoodsfarmalpacas.com/

All of that was in the first 4 days of our trip.  We like to try and pack a lot into our vacations :)  After Moosehorn we headed into Canada.

I will try to type up some summaries with links of my trip through New Brunswick, Halifax and Cape Breton Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.  I'll edit this post with links to those summaries if I get around to doing it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:44:11 AM by bem684 »

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
I started to write up more about this trip in a new thread on the Trip Reports board.  So far I've covered all of New Brunswick and a portion of Nova Scotia.  I'll try to add the rest of NS and Prince Edward Island in the next week.  http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=29787.0

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Time to revive a thread from the dead. We'll be in Maine (flying into BGR, out of PWM became there was nothing available from BGR) for 2 days during Chol HaMoed (Arriving 11am Wed, leaving 7:40p Thu). The idea is to spend time in Acadia NP and hopefully go leaf peeping. We're thinking of using a free night at a Residence Inn by Marriott in Bangor for the night. The idea is to go straight from the airport to Acadia, spend the day (6:18 sunset) and drive back to Bangor. Does it make sense to go back the next day as well (keeping in mind it'll add 1 hour to the 2 hour drive to PWM)?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 02:20:48 AM »
Bump

Offline Aj3042

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
Time to revive a thread from the dead. We'll be in Maine (flying into BGR, out of PWM became there was nothing available from BGR) for 2 days during Chol HaMoed (Arriving 11am Wed, leaving 7:40p Thu). The idea is to spend time in Acadia NP and hopefully go leaf peeping. We're thinking of using a free night at a Residence Inn by Marriott in Bangor for the night. The idea is to go straight from the airport to Acadia, spend the day (6:18 sunset) and drive back to Bangor. Does it make sense to go back the next day as well (keeping in mind it'll add 1 hour to the 2 hour drive to PWM)?
Why wouldn't it make sense? You can't really experience the whole thing in one day. If you can get in another day or most of it why not?

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
If you're going to Acadia National Park, you can stay in a very nice kosher B&B (though they don't advertise the fact that they are kosher..)

http://www.shorepathcottage.com/kosher.html

Under supervision of local Rabbi, not sure if CY would be an option.
If you are there for Shabbat I am fairly sure they will arrange meals (not sure if cost).

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
If you're going to Acadia National Park, you can stay in a very nice kosher B&B (though they don't advertise the fact that they are kosher..)

http://www.shorepathcottage.com/kosher.html

Under supervision of local Rabbi, not sure if CY would be an option.
If you are there for Shabbat I am fairly sure they will arrange meals (not sure if cost).
Thanks for the tip, although we won't be there for shabbos. We'll also be staying in Bangor at the (yet to open) RI by Marriott with a free night cert.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
Why wouldn't it make sense? You can't really experience the whole thing in one day. If you can get in another day or most of it why not?
There might be other things to do in the area that don't involve driving back to Acadia. There would be time to go back at least until 3pm, but then we'd need to drive to PWM. While I'm sure you can spends days in Acadia, do you think that ~6 hours isn't enough for the highlights?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
  • Programs: Presidential Limo Gold, Secret Service Detail Platinum, Air Force One Diamond, White House Free Days, Red Telephone Priority Service.
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
There might be other things to do in the area that don't involve driving back to Acadia. There would be time to go back at least until 3pm, but then we'd need to drive to PWM. While I'm sure you can spends days in Acadia, do you think that ~6 hours isn't enough for the highlights?
AFAIK it's by far the best thing to do in the area. And 6 hours may be enough of you rush but if you want to really get the experience it's not.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
AFAIK it's by far the best thing to do in the area. And 6 hours may be enough of you rush but if you want to really get the experience it's not.
So how would you suggest dividing up 2 days (or the ~6 hours I have the first day and ~5 hours the second day)?

Offline Aj3042

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »
So how would you suggest dividing up 2 days (or the ~6 hours I have the first day and ~5 hours the second day)?
Don't remember enough detail to tell you but just between the driving, hiking, boating and swimming you have all your time set up (and there's lot more stuff than that). Try visiting the NPS website and seeing what they say.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Just returned from a great trip to Maine, rented a house with extended family 20 miles east of Bangor and spent 4 days hiking in Acadia. Hopefully I'll get a TR in some time soon.