Author Topic: PC friday question of the day.  (Read 37383 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: PC friday question of the day.
« Reply #390 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
As a rule, any parenting that is done for any reason but the good of the child is wrong.

Well stated.

From a little more of a Jewish perspective, I would say that our children (and להבדיל our money) are not ours, but rather Hashem's and were entrusted in our hands in order to do the absolute best with them and for them. We should constantly remember our fiduciary role to do the right thing in accordance with the wishes of the one whose children (and להבדיל money) were entrusted in our hands.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
Well stated.

From a little more of a Jewish perspective, I would say that our children (and להבדיל our money) are not ours, but rather Hashem's and were entrusted in our hands in order to do the absolute best with them and for them. We should constantly remember our fiduciary role to do the right thing in accordance with the wishes of the one whose children (and להבדיל money) were entrusted in our hands.
While that's a very nice thought, it is totally impractical on a day to day level for almost everyone. I would even venture to say that anyone who says that they raise their kids that way is either lying or making way too many avoidable mistakes while raising said kids.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Can we get back to reality?
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
Can we get back to reality?
Never left it.
-- Dan

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 14, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »
jeez couldn't wait a half hour?
Sorry @yeshivabucher , I have to go to sleep soon I'm a @yungermanchik

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #397 on: November 14, 2019, 11:50:03 PM »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 15, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »
https://torasavigdor.org/rav-avigdor-miller-on-how-to-deal-with-an-insolent-boy/
How is this PC? It is also dated that it came from a quote in 1995 - not sure that this was when it was actually said.

This definitely hit a chord. I probably grew up in an era where spanking started being phased out (I was in elementary school in the 80s). As the class clown and trouble maker, I was definitely hit quite a bit, starting as early as 1st grade. More so by my teachers than by my parents. Understand that spanking in schools wasn't limited to Jewish schools - many of my catholic friends have told me about their run-ins with the Ruler-wielding nuns.

This hit more of a chord, because there was one particular Rebbe who essentially followed along the lines of what R' Miller said. If you misbehaved, he'd call you up to his desk, and take out a book of tehilim (psalms) and tell you that he was reciting chapters of tehilim as a prayer that the punishment he was about to dole out was for the appropriate reasons. He'd then stand up (ask you to remove your glasses if you were wearing them) and smacked you full force across the face. Not once or twice, but at least a handful of times, sometimes more (the top 3 in the class were me and two other kids, each hit 20-25 consecutive times). He was not a small man either - he was about 6'2"-6'3" and about 220 - he wasn't fat, he was solid.

In those days, there was no ADHD, no learning disabilities, limited drugs. Kids were just lazy and slow, and if you didn't fit the square peg they tried to put you in, it was because of one of those two reasons, and they'd beat the living snot out of you until you were less lazy or a little faster. 

I'm sure that there are those of you who would argue that I was probably behaving poorly to deserve it, and that it's appropriate. But as an adult, 30+ years removed, the only thing it beat out of me was any desire to learn limudei kodesh. It took me 3 more schools to find my true love of torah. It came in my third school, not because the educators were so great, but because it was so small they had the time to answer my questions, and foster my love of learning. 

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »
This hit more of a chord, because there was one particular Rebbe who essentially followed along the lines of what R' Miller said. If you misbehaved, he'd call you up to his desk, and take out a book of tehilim (psalms) and tell you that he was reciting chapters of tehilim as a prayer that the punishment he was about to dole out was for the appropriate reasons. He'd then stand up (ask you to remove your glasses if you were wearing them) and smacked you full force across the face. Not once or twice, but at least a handful of times, sometimes more (the top 3 in the class were me and two other kids, each hit 20-25 consecutive times). He was not a small man either - he was about 6'2"-6'3" and about 220 - he wasn't fat, he was solid.

This is beyond me. I can relate to the quote from R' Avigdor Miller (though I'm not sure about the number 5), but I cannot fathom why anyone would do what you have just described (other than letting out something totally unrelated to the behavior of the child being beaten).
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 15, 2019, 01:44:36 PM »
This is beyond me. I can relate to the quote from R' Avigdor Miller (though I'm not sure about the number 5), but I cannot fathom why anyone would do what you have just described (other than letting out something totally unrelated to the behavior of the child being beaten).

It's beyond me too, however much in the minority this level of abuse is, I know from friends at other yeshivos that this wasn't isolated. I also learned years later that shortly after our grade passed through his class, this particular rebbe came to the realization that this was wrong, and changed his teaching style.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 15, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »
To try to redirect this to a more pc topic:

What was the strangest and/or most embarrassing punishment you were ever subject to in school?

Mine: In HS, my history teacher was a catholic school teacher who taught in Yeshiva in the afternoons. He once punished me by having me stand with a 1000-page world history book in each outstretched arm, and my knees slightly bent.  While I was too naive and stupid to realize what was going on, our limudei kodesh principal happened to walk by the classroom, and realized that I looked like I was being crucified - literally.

He walked into the room, and explained to the teacher that while it was okay to punish the students who misbehaved, it was NOT okay to use that specific punishment in a Jewish school.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »

What was the strangest and/or most embarrassing punishment you were ever subject to in school?

Mine: In HS, my history teacher was a catholic school teacher who taught in Yeshiva in the afternoons. He once punished me by having me stand with a 1000-page world history book in each outstretched arm, and my knees slightly bent.  While I was too naive and stupid to realize what was going on, our limudei kodesh principal happened to walk by the classroom, and realized that I looked like I was being crucified - literally.

He walked into the room, and explained to the teacher that while it was okay to punish the students who misbehaved, it was NOT okay to use that specific punishment in a Jewish school.

You just gave another reason (not that another was needed) why learning על טהרת הקודש is the way to go.
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
How is this PC? It is also dated that it came from a quote in 1995 - not sure that this was when it was actually said.

This definitely hit a chord. I probably grew up in an era where spanking started being phased out (I was in elementary school in the 80s). As the class clown and trouble maker, I was definitely hit quite a bit, starting as early as 1st grade. More so by my teachers than by my parents. Understand that spanking in schools wasn't limited to Jewish schools - many of my catholic friends have told me about their run-ins with the Ruler-wielding nuns.

In those days, there was no ADHD, no learning disabilities, limited drugs. Kids were just lazy and slow, and if you didn't fit the square peg they tried to put you in, it was because of one of those two reasons, and they'd beat the living snot out of you until you were less lazy or a little faster. 

I'm sure that there are those of you who would argue that I was probably behaving poorly to deserve it, and that it's appropriate. But as an adult, 30+ years removed, the only thing it beat out of me was any desire to learn limudei kodesh. It took me 3 more schools to find my true love of torah. It came in my third school, not because the educators were so great, but because it was so small they had the time to answer my questions, and foster my love of learning. 

Always boggles my mind when I find out how many of my friends have been hit by teachers and parents as kids.

That's more fun.

2nd grade teacher couldn't read my answer, so he wrote it on the board and made fun of it to class, saying how could anyone ever read that, it's alien letters, etc.

Needless to say, I just didn't write answers to his test questions anymore ;)

(Worst punishment I heard was making a little kid eat a bar of soap)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)