Author Topic: PC friday question of the day.  (Read 184663 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: PC friday question of the day.
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:49 PM »
Speak for yourself.
I am speaking reality.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
I am speaking reality.
You need to get out more.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:53 PM »
You need to get out more.
That is the problem. I get out to much and see what is going on in the real world and not just in just a closed community.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
That is the problem. I get out to much and see what is going on in the real world and not just in just a closed community.
You don't need to leave a closed community to see that some hit abusively. That doesn't mean that it is always that way.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
You don't need to leave a closed community to see that some hit abusively. That doesn't mean that it is always that way.
...but you do need to leave a closed community to see what is happening in the real world unless you are going to get your view from FOX and CNN.  :)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
...but you do need to leave a closed community to see what is happening in the real world unless you are going to get your view from FOX and CNN.  :)
I am not really sure what that has to do with this conversation which has been mostly discussing individuals within a closed community.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2019, 12:01:50 AM »
I am not really sure what that has to do with this conversation which has been mostly discussing individuals within a closed community.

Let's get a little bit non-PC (the other kind, not the one meant in the thread title). In these "closed" communities there isn't the same culture of violence that exists "out there". In these closed communities some might have never heard of TV and Movie ratings, and many that might have might not be able to tell you what they are, because they are irrelevant. In these closed communities profanity and violence aren't considered part of life. And people from these "closed" communities are often dumbfounded when they witness profanity and/or violence used towards children when they "get out" (could be on public transportation, in a mall etc).

Last but not least, it is part of our religion to have self-control and self-discipline as well as setting limits beyond the letter of the law. All of the above might be parts of why some here feel that we aren't really having an intelligent conversation with @CountValentine on the topic. We seem to see hitting and slapping very differently than the Count. 
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 18, 2019, 12:02:47 AM »

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 18, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
Slap on the wrist or soap in my mouth we're nothing.

A belt? Slap to your face ?

Listen, I was raised well, I knew my parents loved me, but there wasn't a feeling of unconditional love

In the non religious world, not getting kicked out for not following the rules is easy.

Oh lets wake him up at 8:34am to say shema.

What you trimmed your beard?!?

What is that garbage you're reading.

And yes, my father losing his marbles over gebrochts at the Seder table, I don't go to my parents, not Shabbat, not chagim

It makes my keh 94 year old grandmother sad and it makes my mother sad but eh?!? I'm not interested in having chumros and hiddurim shoved down my throat, pass.

But the getting hit with a belt caused me to detest most things that caused this, usually yeshiva, shull, Shabbat table.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 18, 2019, 12:08:32 AM »
Let's get a little bit non-PC (the other kind, not the one meant in the thread title). In these "closed" communities there isn't the same culture of violence that exists "out there". In these closed communities some might have never heard of TV and Movie ratings, and many that might have might not be able to tell you what they are, because they are irrelevant. In these closed communities profanity and violence aren't considered part of life. And people from these "closed" communities are often dumbfounded when they witness profanity and/or violence used towards children when they "get out" (could be on public transportation, in a mall etc).

Last but not least, it is part of our religion to have self-control and self-discipline as well as setting limits beyond the letter of the law. All of the above might be parts of why some here feel that we aren't really having an intelligent conversation with @CountValentine on the topic. We seem to see hitting and slapping very differently than the Count.

Oh garbage... While all parents are different, the fact is that discipline in the Jewish community is very over reaching. Generally speaking in middle America, parents don't beat the crap out of their kids for having differing views.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2019, 12:11:27 AM »
My whole childhood behavior sequence involves "do you want a patch?!?" Go to bed, brush your teeth or you'll get a potch.

You were really bad?! Oh well, here's totty and his belt

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 18, 2019, 12:11:36 AM »
Slap on the wrist or soap in my mouth we're nothing.

A belt? Slap to your face ?

Listen, I was raised well, I knew my parents loved me, but there wasn't a feeling of unconditional love

In the non religious world, not getting kicked out for not following the rules is easy.

Oh lets wake him up at 8:34am to say shema.

What you trimmed your beard?!?

What is that garbage you're reading.

And yes, my father losing his marbles over gebrochts at the Seder table, I don't go to my parents, not Shabbat, not chagim

It makes my keh 94 year old grandmother sad and it makes my mother sad but eh?!? I'm not interested in having chumros and hiddurim shoved down my throat, pass.

But the getting hit with a belt caused me to detest most things that caused this, usually yeshiva, shull, Shabbat table.
One with a tough upbringing shouldn't speak in general.
I'm not familiar with any decent person using a belt, nor am I familiar with anyone violating century old Chumras at his father's Seder table. I'm confused so I won't say anything, but again, my feeling is that you can't speak for the general public. 

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 18, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »
My whole childhood behavior sequence involves "do you want a patch?!?" Go to bed, brush your teeth or you'll get a potch.

There are abusive people all across the globe.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:29 AM »

This isn't how I see things but the way the real world sees things. Closed communities is not the way the real world works. Now you can argue is that better or worse (closed communities) and that is fine. My point is that reality is most hit their kids to inflict pain and is not a show of self-control.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #494 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:47 AM »
I'm not interested in having chumros and hiddurim shoved down my throat, pass.

When he was much younger, my second son complained to my wife about certain restrictions we have on Pesach. "Why do we need to be more strict (or restrictive) than others?" was his question. BH we seem to have handled the question right (without letting down from any of our restrictions) and now he is more strict with himself than anyone else in the family.
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:55 AM »

One minute, did you quit brushing your teeth as well?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 18, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »
This isn't how I see things but the way the real world sees things. Closed communities is not the way the real world works. Now you can argue is that better or worse (closed communities) and that is fine. My point is that reality is most hit their kids to inflict pain and is not a show of self-control.

You are misusing the term "real world". Our "closed" communities are the "real world". The outside world that you seem to be referring to is missing out on reality.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #497 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:09 AM »
So I've never seen any of my friends hit their child, but you'd think I'm an outlier from this thread.

Is there a connection between Chabad's focus on ahava instead of yirah and my small data set?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 18, 2019, 12:24:09 AM »
You are misusing the term "real world". Our "closed" communities are the "real world". The outside world that you seem to be referring to is missing out on reality.
The real world is not based on your or my religious views. If you can't understand this fact you are completely brainwashed.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 18, 2019, 12:25:25 AM »
So I've never seen any of my friends hit their child, but you'd think I'm an outlier from this thread.
No as this happens less and less.