Author Topic: PC friday question of the day.  (Read 191588 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: PC friday question of the day.
« Reply #1080 on: May 21, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
yes, but every child is born with it being clear who the mother is.
I just wanted to make sure my pretzel comment was accurate.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 21, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »
yes, but every child is born with it being clear who the mother is.
cough cough surrogate, but yeah
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 21, 2021, 10:49:53 AM »
Jewish/non-Jewish is determined by maternal lineage, but everything else is determined by paternal lineage.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1083 on: May 21, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 21, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »
I meant most if not all religions are sexist.

The advantage of creating the world and the people within it is that you get to make the rules.

Yes, Judaism differentiates between men and women. G-d creates the different genders, with their differences (one has to be incredibly in denial to think that males and females are identical-plain stupidity without an agenda wouldn't quite cut it here), and set different guidelines for the different genders. While sexism insinuates discrimination in a negative fashion, which I may not necessarily agree with, Judaism certainly does differentiate between man and woman (and Kohen, Levite, Israelite, illegitimate child, and more statuses that are conveyed at birth and the individual is totally not at fault for).

If you want to ask ethical questions on G-d, you can start questioning why children are born with debilitating and excruciating chronic diseases, and so on. There are plenty of more compelling ethical questions to be posed to an All Powerful Being than why He minds homosexuality, or allows polygyny but not polymory.

When you write your own computer program and game, you can decide what you want to include and what characteristics you want different characters to have. You don't have to be worried that the characters created will consider it discriminatory.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 21, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
The advantage of creating the world and the people within it is that you get to make the rules.

Yes, Judaism differentiates between men and women. G-d creates the different genders, with their differences (one has to be incredibly in denial to think that males and females are identical-plain stupidity without an agenda wouldn't quite cut it here), and set different guidelines for the different genders. While sexism insinuates discrimination in a negative fashion, which I may not necessarily agree with, Judaism certainly does differentiate between man and woman (and Kohen, Levite, Israelite, illegitimate child, and more statuses that are conveyed at birth and the individual is totally not at fault for).

If you want to ask ethical questions on G-d, you can start questioning why children are born with debilitating and excruciating chronic diseases, and so on. There are plenty of more compelling ethical questions to be posed to an All Powerful Being than why He minds homosexuality, or allows polygyny but not polymory.

When you write your own computer program and game, you can decide what you want to include and what characteristics you want different characters to have. You don't have to be worried that the characters created will consider it discriminatory.
The questions are still valid. We just have to accept that we aren’t always entitled to an answer and it’s not enough to change our belief.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 21, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »
Which religion are they considering when asking when life begins? Has any SCOTUS made a religious argument to overturn RvW?

When life begins obviously has religious connotations.  Which religion doesn't matter - everyone has an opinion.
Just because no one is using a religious argument doesn't take religion out of the equation.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 21, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
Now for some good PC.  :)
We all get our beliefs from what was told to us by "Man". "Man" is corrupt. The logical progression is that religion was corrupted by "Man".

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 21, 2021, 11:09:40 AM »
When life begins obviously has religious connotations.  Which religion doesn't matter - everyone has an opinion.
Just because no one is using a religious argument doesn't take religion out of the equation.
When life begins has religious connotations to you but not for tens of millions of non-religious people.

Actually not making any type of religious argument does take it out of the equation.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 21, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »
Now for some good PC.  :)
We all get our beliefs from what was told to us by "Man". "Man" is corrupt. The logical progression is that religion was corrupted by "Man".

except for one religion which is based on a mass revelation

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 21, 2021, 11:17:44 AM »
That would be impossible. There are so many religions with different beliefs. You believe what your religion teaches you and I and others believe what our religions teach us.

In general, secular law is effectively a societal interpersonal contract to protect people from each other.

Even if I believe my religion may mandate me to kill certain people, I think secular law should outlaw me from doing so. Secular law is there by definition to protect others from my beliefs which may lead to their harm. Anything which I do which does not directly harm others (such as homosexual activity between consenting adults, smoking marijuana, driving without a seatbelt, ect) is not the secular government's place to dictate.

I happen to believe that there is nothing inherently immoral about a lion eating a human because it is hungry. This is how it was created, and this is its instinct, and in its belief system it is totally justified. The fact that the lion may be behaving in an objectively moral mannerism doesn't mean that the secular government shouldn't shoot a marauding lion charging through the streets. Moral or not according to its belief system, it poses a menace to society and the threat needs to be eliminated, according to the mission statement of secular governance. (The parallel to be drawn to people that believe that they are religiously mandated to kill infidels should be obvious, I believe.)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 21, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »

Even if I believe my religion may mandate me to kill certain people, I think secular law should outlaw me from doing so.
This is the argument for supporting individual freedom to sin, such as gay marriage or abortion. Even if we don’t want it to happen, we shouldn’t want the state to impose our beliefs on others so that other beliefs aren’t imposed on us.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 21, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
This is the argument for supporting individual freedom to sin, such as gay marriage or abortion. Even if we don’t want it to happen, we shouldn’t want the state to impose our beliefs on others so that other beliefs aren’t imposed on us.
How about the freedom to murder?

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 21, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
When life begins has religious connotations to you but not for tens of millions of non-religious people.

Actually not making any type of religious argument does take it out of the equation.

Why do you say so? Taking religion out of the equation, is a fetus an extension of the mother's body without independent rights, which can be disposed of at the mother's will, or is it a creature with its own rights like any infant (that one would go to jail over if one were to fail to feed the child and the child consequently perished), which happens to currently be completely dependant on the surrogate mother's body?

Why does religion need to come into the picture for such a question to be posed?

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »

All laws dealing with property ownership, interpersonal relationships etc. are based on religious decisions, if you go back far enough in history.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »

Homosexual activity, certainly. Gay marriage is debatable, as marriage has a dictionary definition which gay marriage advocates are trying to change. Abortion is extremely debatable whether it is personal or interpersonal, so I'm not sure why you brought that in.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
Why do you say so? Taking religion out of the equation, is a fetus an extension of the mother's body without independent rights, which can be disposed of at the mother's will, or is it a creature with its own rights like any infant (that one would go to jail over if one were to fail to feed the child and the child consequently perished), which happens to currently be completely dependant on the surrogate mother's body?

Why does religion need to come into the picture for such a question to be posed?
You can argue with it but the theory is that no matter what society feels about the fetus, it can’t impose its view on the mother who thinks differently without a religious basis. Preventing somebody from murdering somebody else is very different than coercing a woman to harbor and nourish something in her body.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 21, 2021, 11:30:10 AM »
All laws dealing with property ownership, interpersonal relationships etc. are based on religious decisions, if you go back far enough in history.
That’s only if you believe that religion came first.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 21, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
It doesn't need to and shouldn't. That is my point.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 21, 2021, 11:38:01 AM »
except for one religion which is based on a mass revelation
That was told to you by "Man". I could be mistaken and you were actually present for this?  :)