Poll

What Section or row seats you buying?

$36
$54
$36<
$54>
Ground level with hatzalah and chaverim/shomrim...
Not attending.
Been to a siyam hashas before.
1st time being at a siyam hashas.
Barclays center overflow. (24hrs)

Author Topic: The 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf YomiAgudath Israel of America.  (Read 102523 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: The 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf YomiAgudath Israel of America.
« Reply #400 on: January 01, 2020, 10:55:54 PM »
To me this event was very disappointing to say the least. Long uninteresting speeches in freezing cold weather with no food and barely any drinks I wonder how people survived there for so long. They should get some Heimishe chevre to run the show...
K, thanks for sharing.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »
To me this event was very disappointing to say the least. Long uninteresting speeches in freezing cold weather with no food and barely any drinks I wonder how people survived there for so long. They should get some Heimishe chevre to run the show...
With regard to the cold weather, I'm not sure why that disappointed you. We're you expecting 65 degrees in January? How would the organizers control that exactly? We're you expecting food that wasn't advertised? Could you not bring your own food. Obviously, the quality of the speeches is subjective, but from what I've heard, most thought that at least a few of the speeches were inspiring/interesting.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2020, 10:58:13 PM »
K, thanks for sharing.
Better than my response

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 01, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »
There sure was a no-fly zone over the actual stadium. You could see all the planes banking away from the stadium airspace.
No, some planes were flying right above, including that Lufthansa plane.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #405 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:22 PM »
No, some planes were flying right above, including that Lufthansa plane.
Perhaps that was after the dancing (which I left after that)...
To some, the event commenced when dancing was over...

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #406 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:49 PM »
They were all eating from Michael Schick!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
With regard to the cold weather, I'm not sure why that disappointed you. We're you expecting 65 degrees in January? How would the organizers control that exactly? We're you expecting food that wasn't advertised? Could you not bring your own food. Obviously, the quality of the speeches is subjective, but from what I've heard, most thought that at least a few of the speeches were inspiring/interesting.

Regarding the weather I’m obviously not blaming the organizers to be manipulating the weather Putin style but I don’t get why they would make an outdoor even in NJ on January 1... and I think that is the primary reason why so many seats were empty.

Regarding the speeches granted some were very nice (R’ Schiff for example) but overal it is a super long event with many long speeches which don’t fit such a grand scale event. There are many good speakers that can get a crowd excited and inspired

Also I’m not sure how it was at the stadium but on the broadcast the music presentation was really not amazing to say the least. Looked like they asked them to sing 5 minutes before with no prep

I would say that it would’ve been a great event if it would’ve been a 150 people Siyum in Lakewood but when you want to make an event for 10’s of thousands of people you got to come from a different angle.

It’s amazing to see so many Yidden coming together but the energy could’ve been taken to another level
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:15:23 PM by tmendy226 »

Offline Mimo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National executive elite, Hertz pc
« Reply #408 on: January 01, 2020, 11:11:49 PM »
What about the BA 777 and the SAS A330?
My point was that Lufthansa is Germany's flag carrier (I'm not saying they are nazis) it was a strong message that klal yisroel is as strong as ever

Offline dealfinder11

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:35 PM »
Have some thoughts about the siyum with a few critiques.

First of all, the actual siyum (by an audibly emotional R' Shmuel) followed by the singing and dancing of almost 100 THOUSAND (!) Yidden celebrating torah and the kiyum of klal yisroel, was one of the most inspiring and emotionally thrilling events I have ever partaken in . Additionaly, it was a rare moment of tremendous achdus, with everyone dancing in unison, regardless of their background.

It was so moving in fact, that i was left wondering why this element, the achdus that was on display, wasn't highlighted more by the speakers as a theme of the siyum to try to take with us.

Overall i thought Agudah could have done a much better job getting speakers that were more entertaining, especially considering that A. the event was very dragged out (they wanted to make sure it was full for the siyum) and B. The Weather. For example, why not have Rabbi Yoel Gold speak for 20 minutes instead of another monotonous speech by a Rosh Yeshiva (not any disrespect intended) ?

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 01, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
Regarding the weather I’m obviously not blaming the organizers to be manipulating the weather Putin style but I don’t get why they would make an outdoor even in NJ on January 1... and I think that is the primary reason why so many seats were empty.

Regarding the speeches granted some were very nice (R’ Schiff for example) but overal it is a super long event with many long speeches which don’t fit such a grand scale event. There are many good speakers that can get a crowd excited and inspired

Also I’m not sure how it was at the stadium but on the broadcast the music presentation was really not amazing to say the least. Looked like they asked them to sing 5 minutes before with no prep

I would say that it would’ve been a great event if it would’ve been a 150 people Siyum in Lakewood but when you want to make an event for 10’s of thousands of people you got to come from a different angle.

It’s amazing to see so many Yidden coming together but the energy could’ve been taken to another level

The music of Ani maamin didn't sound well. I dunno it sounded like a bunch of random people were singing.

Offline Mimo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National executive elite, Hertz pc
« Reply #411 on: January 01, 2020, 11:23:06 PM »
Was the sound system clear and understandable where you sat? Where I sat it was so unclear no one in the whole section was able to make out what was being said

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 01, 2020, 11:27:21 PM »
Was the sound system clear and understandable where you sat? Where I sat it was so unclear no one in the whole section was able to make out what was being said

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 01, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »

The Moetzes was asked the question and answered that the event should be held at outdoor Metlife. It's better to be in 1 united outdoor venue together than 5 separate indoor stadiums...
The empty seats you are referring to are not unsold seats but rather belonging to those (like myself) who purchased $600+ seats. Those came with an outdoor and indoor seat. The outdoor seats may have been empty-but that's because most of us were inside.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 01, 2020, 11:29:16 PM »
The Moetzes was asked the question and answered that the event should be held at outdoor Metlife. It's better to be in 1 united outdoor venue together than 5 separate indoor stadiums...
The empty seats you are referring to are not unsold seats but rather belonging to those (like myself) who purchased $600+ seats. Those came with an outdoor and indoor seat. The outdoor seats may have been empty-but that's because most of us were inside.

+1

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 01, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »

I feel bad that it takes more than what took place today to inspire you. Many people find inspiration in even the small moments in life. Today was no small moment. Where do I even start?

To see 90,000 Jews coming together to proclaim that Hashem’s Torah is dear to them. To think of not one minyan worth of Jews, but several thousand minyanim all davening to Hashem as together as one. To think of the cumulative hours represented in today’s crowd in 7 1/2 years of toiling and overcoming all obstacles to finish Shas.To see yidden representing thousands of shuls  and perhaps hundreds of communities celebrating not separately in ones own shul like Simchas Torah but all together along with our Gedolim and manhigim, including Rav Shmuel, who learned in the yeshivas of pre-war Europe. To see Rav Dovid Feinstein insisting that Rav Shmuel take the honor of saying the hadran. To think of the holocaust survivors present who having seen the destruction of Torah Jewry were witnessing four generations of mesaymei hashas. To look at the throngs of Jews and imagine what it will look like when moshiach comes. To stand outside after the event and watch unending streams of Yidden cascade down three flights of escalators in an unending torrent and think “these are our brothers and sisters”. That is unbelievably inspiring.

When someone is inspired he will barely notice the cold and food (think of the Best Buy Black Friday
lines of years past when folks would forgo their meal to line up in the cold on Thanksgiving day for the 5am door busters). When one is uninspired he will then focus on even the slightest discomfort. I pray that you will find a way to focus on all of the moving moments in your life and live a life of inspiration going forward.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 01, 2020, 11:39:15 PM »
To see 90,000 Jews coming together to proclaim that Hashem’s Torah is dear to them. To think of not one minyan worth of Jews, but several thousand minyanim all davening to Hashem as together as one. To think of the cumulative hours represented in today’s crowd in 7 1/2 years of toiling and overcoming all obstacles to finish Shas.To see yidden representing thousands of shuls  and perhaps hundreds of communities celebrating not separately in ones own shul like Simchas Torah but all together along with our Gedolim and manhigim, including Rav Shmuel, who learned in the yeshivas of pre-war Europe. To see Rav Dovid Feinstein insisting that Rav Shmuel take the honor of saying the hadran. To think of the holocaust survivors present who having seen the destruction of Torah Jewry were witnessing four generations of mesaymei hashas. To look at the throngs of Jews and imagine what it will look like when moshiach comes. To stand outside after the event and watch unending streams of Yidden cascade down three flights of escalators in an unending torrent and think “these are our brothers and sisters”. That is unbelievably inspiring.

Beautifully said

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #417 on: January 01, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »
There sure was a no-fly zone over the actual stadium. You could see all the planes banking away from the stadium airspace.

nope - was a TFR only for UAS (drones) https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_1120.html

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #418 on: January 01, 2020, 11:41:38 PM »
I feel bad that it takes more than what took place today to inspire you. Many people find inspiration in even the small moments in life. Today was no small moment. Where do I even start?

When someone is inspired he will barely notice the cold and food (think of the Best Buy Black Friday
lines of years past when folks would forgo their meal to line up in the cold on Thanksgiving day for the 5am door busters). When one is uninspired he will then focus on even the slightest discomfort. I pray that you will find a way to focus on all of the moving moments in your life and live a life of inspiration going forward.
You nailed it!! I don’t understand how people are so negative and so kvetchy when there’s so much good... this was the by far the most inspiring and heartwarming Place/event I’ve ever been to!!!

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »
I heard that it was unclear until the end how much music they would be able to include due to the cold. Not easy to play with cold fingers.
Feelings don't care about your facts