Author Topic: bait and switch  (Read 1457 times)

Offline joshua.e

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
bait and switch
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »
I booked a mileage ticket on united to Poland . The search grid offered various options and I chose 30k and $58 per ticket.I bought the ticket and 2 days later the c/c shows not only the $58 but an additional $75 booking fee that united unilaterally added in. The other mileage ticket I purchased showed a $90 fee in addition to miles (of which $75 was the booking fee) so clearly booking fee is shown in the total dollars required at purchase.
I have called them twice(once on the day of discovering charge and way before flight) and they have given me the runaround.Kept me on 20 minute plus hold to speak to supervisor. I called chase c/c  to dispute and they also gave me the runaround.they said I couldn't dispute the charge. I could only claim fraud and have my card cancelled with all those inconveniences.
Any ideas?

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: bait and switch
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
I booked a mileage ticket on united to Poland . The search grid offered various options and I chose 30k and $58 per ticket.I bought the ticket and 2 days later the c/c shows not only the $58 but an additional $75 booking fee that united unilaterally added in. The other mileage ticket I purchased showed a $90 fee in addition to miles (of which $75 was the booking fee) so clearly booking fee is shown in the total dollars required at purchase.
I have called them twice(once on the day of discovering charge and way before flight) and they have given me the runaround.Kept me on 20 minute plus hold to speak to supervisor. I called chase c/c  to dispute and they also gave me the runaround.they said I couldn't dispute the charge. I could only claim fraud and have my card cancelled with all those inconveniences.
Any ideas?
I bought an item for $100 but was charged $108.87 because of some fee that NYS adds onto purchases. Can I fight the charge?
Answer: No, I don’t get to fight a charge because I didn’t check the total amount before placing my order. I also don’t get to claim fraud when I actually used my card.

But yea, sorry about that, post in the mistakes thread and remember that you live and you learn ;)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
I bought an item for $100 but was charged $108.87 because of some fee that NYS adds onto purchases. Can I fight the charge?
Answer: No, I don’t get to fight a charge because I didn’t check the total amount before placing my order. I also don’t get to claim fraud when I actually used my card.

But yea, sorry about that, post in the mistakes thread and remember that you live and you learn ;)

A state-imposed tax and a carrier booking fee don't seem the same to me. And even taxes should be stated at some point prior to payment, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
It always is disclosed on United's website. Sounds like OP simply didn't notice it when he completed check out. I do agree, though, that the bogus $75 close-in fee is infuriating.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
bait and switch
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
A state-imposed tax and a carrier booking fee don't seem the same to me. And even taxes should be stated at some point prior to payment, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
It clearly was stated, otherwise OP would have a VERY strong case here.
Also, I’m not sure what grid Op is referring to that didn’t include the fee in the price, AFAIK the only time it doesn’t show is for the return portion of a round trip ticket.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:40:28 PM by mileagejunkie »

Offline joshua.e

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
To be clear.The receipt on the ticket sale says $58 payment and 30k points.The receipt on the other ticket shows the $90 charge broken out as a $15 fee and $75 booking fee.This was shown as $90 on the price grid and leads one to believe that the booking fee is incorporated into the cash portion of the required payment.No such fee is on the other payment receipt.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
To be clear.The receipt on the ticket sale says $58 payment and 30k points.The receipt on the other ticket shows the $90 charge broken out as a $15 fee and $75 booking fee.This was shown as $90 on the price grid and leads one to believe that the booking fee is incorporated into the cash portion of the required payment.No such fee is on the other payment receipt.
If the receipt clearly states $58 I think the OP has a case here.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
Are you 100% sure that the fee wasn’t shown online?
On the email receipt there should an “additional purchase summary” section at the bottom with the fee added there. If it is not there I’m not sure why you are having issues fighting it. Simply state that you were charged a different amount than the total, they don’t need to know the full story. Do it online and attach the receipt, be aware that it might result in your ticket being canceled if you haven’t yet flown.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
If the receipt clearly states $58 I think the OP has a case here.
This.

But it's weird because it always comes up at when paying