Author Topic: Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Tokyo, Honolulu and Maui Trip Report  (Read 17992 times)

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Tokyo, Honolulu and Maui Trip Report
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
Beijing, China

The Chabad of Downtown is a hop, skip and a jump away from the St. Regis Hotel. Literally right around the corner. When we walked in for Mincha we were greeted by Rabbi Mendy and Rebbetzin Raskin who hosted us for Davening and meals over Shabbos. What a wonderful couple they are. All the way out in Beijing and willing to give of themselves for whatever we needed. After Mincha we joined the Raskin's and about 20 other people for a delicious home-cooked meal. Food was amazing and plentiful, and the singing and Divrei Torah flowed. The same was true the next day after the much anticipated 11am Shachris.

way to go mendy and chani awsome people i know cause they are my in laws

G-D BLESS THEM

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
WOW!! This means you paid for 8 separate nights at starwood hotels over the past few months to get to get 4 weekends night free!!!! You really went all out to plan this trip!!!!

Yes, indeed. Much planning went into this trip. It was actually 12 stays (6 free weekend nights requires 12 stays). We pulled some minor "shtik" to get the 12 stays (all legal of course, just "shtik") but I am not at liberty to discuss what the "shtik" was. That information is proprietary.
-Eli

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Wow! That's an amazing trip. Thanks for the very articulate report.

Offline ringsher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
Tokyo

This next part is a little confusing. According to the Rov I asked, Tokyo is Halachically one day behind what they say it is. Therefore, when we left Beijing Tuesday afternoon, we arrived in Tokyo Monday night (Halachically). This worked out very well for us as we were in Tokyo on (their) Thursday which was a Ta'anis and we were also in Honolulu on (the real) Thursday. (This was because we took a 10pm flight (their) Thursday night and arrived in Honolulu on Thursday morning.) The Rov I asked informed me that I needed to fast only once starting from when it got light on the plane on the way to Honolulu. Please, ask your own Rov when it comes to travelling to Tokyo and Honolulu.

Hi Eli,

Thank you for the detailed trip report. My husband and I are thinking of doing JFK-LAX-TYO-HON-LAX using our miles. We haven't booked the trip yet, and I wanted to clarify with you what  you meant about Tokyo being one day behind. We were planning on arriving to Tokyo on a Monday and leaving to Honolulu on a Sunday. If we leave on Sunday, are we technically flying out on Shabbos?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat