Author Topic: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?  (Read 122912 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?
« Reply #500 on: November 23, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Bought G5 plus from Amazon for $180
G5 Plus is $169 at Costco.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
OK, I'm going crazy.

I need to replace my old Note 4, but I can't seem to find a single decent option with a ~6" screen. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I mean, seriously. What is it with these darn curved screen? They add zero functionality and don't allow you to protect the screen properly. I drop my phone constantly, and have cracked a ton of screens before I gave up and bought a big case with a fat bumper. Never hurt my screen since. But now with the curved screens, there doesn't seem to be a normal way of protecting against drops >:( >:( >:(.

I'm looking at the Galaxy 8 Plus or the Note 8, but both have those blasted curves. The LG V30 and the Pixel phones have serious screen quality issues, and the Huawei Mate 10 has no 3.5mm port. The One Plus 5T seems like a good option, but it needs to be paid up front which is ridiculous (this may be a slightly hypocritical position, but I think it's nuts how much we pay for phones. Raising your cell phone bill be a couple of bucks a month is one thing, but dropping $500-1000 at once is nuts IM(very personal)O.

HELP!
This might sound like heresy to you, but I suggest you try an iPhone.

I was as anti Apple cult as it gets (and still am) before I switched to the iPhone (though it's not my primary phone now since I switched to the LG Exalt LTE flip phone). I was never a person for cases, but when my iPhone screen broke twice (second time was covered by AMEX protection which was used to pay for first replacement) I put it in a SPECK case which doesn't add much bulk and give very good protection (IINM the iPhone X has a much stronger screen, and it isn't curved). I have a 6 plus which I use on wifi for all smartphone type activities that one still needs nowadays.

I am seriously toying with the idea of switching to an Apple watch series 3 as my primary phone that goes around with me, while keeping an iPhone in the office or home as a backup (and since one can't have an Apple watch with cellular unless coupled with an actual iPhone).
-- Dan

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

I was as anti Apple cult as it gets (and still am) before I switched to the iPhone (though it's not my primary phone now since I switched to the LG Exalt LTE flip phone). I was never a person for cases, but when my iPhone screen broke twice (second time was covered by AMEX protection which was used to pay for first replacement) I put it in a SPECK case which doesn't add much bulk and give very good protection (IINM the iPhone X has a much stronger screen, and it isn't curved). I have a 6 plus which I use on wifi for all smartphone type activities that one still needs nowadays.

I am seriously toying with the idea of switching to an Apple watch series 3 as my primary phone that goes around with me, while keeping an iPhone in the office or home as a backup (and since one can't have an Apple watch with cellular unless coupled with an actual iPhone).
Then what good will your iPhone do if it doesn't have cel service?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 23, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
Then what good will your iPhone do if it doesn't have cel service?
If I were to switch to an Apple watch instead of my LG Exalt LTE, I would just stick my existing Verizon SIM card back in the iPhone 6 Plus where it came from. The major difference would be that I wouldn't need to carry the iPhone with me. Presumably the watch will give me access to whatsapp (and possibly some form of navigation such as google maps or waze). The actual iPhone could stay in the office, home or car, but definitely not on me all the time.
-- Dan

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 23, 2017, 02:12:50 PM »
If I were to switch to an Apple watch instead of my LG Exalt LTE, I would just stick my existing Verizon SIM card back in the iPhone 6 Plus where it came from. The major difference would be that I wouldn't need to carry the iPhone with me. Presumably the watch will give me access to whatsapp (and possibly some form of navigation such as google maps or waze). The actual iPhone could stay in the office, home or car, but definitely not on me all the time.
Gotcha. But then you'll also need a phone.  ???

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 23, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »
Gotcha. But then you'll also need a phone.  ???
No. The Apple watch series 3 comes in a version with cellular, which you can use as a standalone phone!
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 23, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
G5 Plus is $169 at Costco.
32 GB version which is only 2 GB RAM. This is the 64GB/4 GB RAM version
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 23, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
32 GB version which is only 2 GB RAM. This is the 64GB/4 GB RAM version
Interestingly enough Amazon has the 32GB and the 64GB version both for the same price today. BUT, both are with lock screen ads. Not something I think I could give to any of my kids (or would want for myself).
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 23, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
Interestingly enough Amazon has the 32GB and the 64GB version both for the same price today. BUT, both are with lock screen ads. Not something I think I could give to any of my kids (or would want for myself).
It's for my wife :P. I assume the ads won't display anyways with NetSpark
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 23, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
It's for my wife :P. I assume the ads won't display anyways with NetSpark
Please let us know if NetSpark indeed stops the ads from displaying.

IIRC when I bought the G4 for my daughter, she called TAG to see if they could do something about the ads, and they said they couldn't, luckily before the phone was delivered, B&H had the phone without the ads for the same price as Amazon with the ads, so all it took was to decline the package and get a full refund from Amazon.
-- Dan

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 23, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
OK, I'm going crazy.

I need to replace my old Note 4, but I can't seem to find a single decent option with a ~6" screen. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I mean, seriously. What is it with these darn curved screen? They add zero functionality and don't allow you to protect the screen properly. I drop my phone constantly, and have cracked a ton of screens before I gave up and bought a big case with a fat bumper. Never hurt my screen since. But now with the curved screens, there doesn't seem to be a normal way of protecting against drops >:( >:( >:(.

I'm looking at the Galaxy 8 Plus or the Note 8, but both have those blasted curves. The LG V30 and the Pixel phones have serious screen quality issues, and the Huawei Mate 10 has no 3.5mm port. The One Plus 5T seems like a good option, but it needs to be paid up front which is ridiculous (this may be a slightly hypocritical position, but I think it's nuts how much we pay for phones. Raising your cell phone bill be a couple of bucks a month is one thing, but dropping $500-1000 at once is nuts IM(very personal)O.

HELP!

From your criteria Id go with the One Plus 5T. Will also save you some money in the long run. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #511 on: November 23, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
What's wrong with the otterbox defender on the galaxy phones? Even with a curve those cases protect it all..

The sides don't extend higher than the curved edges. If I drop it face down, the screen is finished.

I've had an iPhone in the past, and currently have an iPad. I can definitively say that for what I do, an iPhone is useless. I need complete file management control, support for external discs and devices, and a whole bunch of other features that Apple thinks we are too stupid to use.

From your criteria Id go with the One Plus 5T. Will also save you some money in the long run.

The screen on the 5 is an issue for me, it's half the resolution of the other options. Plus the fact that I need to pay upfront bothers me.

I'm leaning more towards the Note 8 now, plus the best glass screen protection out there (still researching those). The phone itself definitely meets all the criteria I'm looking for, plus I may be able to take advantage of T-Mobile's ongoing BOGO deal which is quite nice.

I really wish there was an S8 Active in the larger size...
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline arihut

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
The sides don't extend higher than the curved edges. If I drop it face down, the screen is finished.

I've had an iPhone in the past, and currently have an iPad. I can definitively say that for what I do, an iPhone is useless. I need complete file management control, support for external discs and devices, and a whole bunch of other features that Apple thinks we are too stupid to use.

The screen on the 5 is an issue for me, it's half the resolution of the other options. Plus the fact that I need to pay upfront bothers me.

I'm leaning more towards the Note 8 now, plus the best glass screen protection out there (still researching those). The phone itself definitely meets all the criteria I'm looking for, plus I may be able to take advantage of T-Mobile's ongoing BOGO deal which is quite nice.

I really wish there was an S8 Active in the larger size...

I just upgraded from iPhone 6 to the Galaxy Note 8. To be honest it was mostly a financial decision as the Note 8 was the best phone for the (relatively) best price. Please let us know what case you decide upon as I too would like a good case for the Note 8. I have ordered the spigen tough armor, but i'm not sure that it is the one that I will be mainly using.

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
OK, I'm going crazy.

HELP!

Have you considered trying out an LG V20?

Seems to hit all your marks, plus it has the dual camera.

Paying upfront is not such a big deal as its around $2-350, depending on your carrier. If you don't like it just send it back to the store.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #514 on: December 18, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
Pixel 2 are now $50 off in Google Store, 2 XL $75 off

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 25, 2017, 05:13:02 PM »
Any recommendations for a cheap phone needed just for internet, not calls/text? Needs to be a phone that is quick, but no need for late model. Thanks.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 25, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
Any recommendations for a cheap phone needed just for internet, not calls/text? Needs to be a phone that is quick, but no need for late model. Thanks.
Why don't you just get small tablet? They can be relatively cheap.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 25, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
Why don't you just get small tablet? They can be relatively cheap.
Correct, I was just about to amend my post that a tablet should work too. Any suggestions? Also, which carrier/plan would be right for me? Wifi is not an option.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 25, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
To the thread's topic:
Using (as my daily driver. I have several other cheap models laying around) now for a year the Lenovo Phab2 on tmobile network, I got it for approximately $180. Now it got some cracks on the screen (still fully usable, but I don't know for how long) so I got a Honor 7X for $199 (plus tax.)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 25, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »
Correct, I was just about to amend my post that a tablet should work too. Any suggestions? Also, which carrier/plan would be right for me? Wifi is not an option.
I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab a. Just got it for $79 at Micro Center. It works excellent and size is also great. Only wifi, however.