Author Topic: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?  (Read 122925 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Sprint announced another world phone today- The Evo design 4g - -- Like that the screen is big but not too big- like the world capabilities- like android.... NOT A fan of the EVO...

Anyone with the older evo shift out there? How's your battery time?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Is it true that Rim will allow (sell) the pin capabilities to different companies, ie, they would also get a pin and work via BB(M) system?

Add this to android capability and my choice is rapidly made.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Is it true that Rim will allow (sell) the pin capabilities to different companies, ie, they would also get a pin and work via BB(M) system?

Basically and Android OS with BB capabilities . Why do you need them to lease out the BBM to other phone holders?
& maybe iMessenger will be just as good?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Palm Centro>Galaxy Nexus.
Quite the upgrade :)
ur giving up ur centro- you must have had it for 5 years!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium

The day RIM does this is the day they exit the market. (I.E., I don't see it happening any time soon, if ever.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
ur giving up ur centro- you must have had it for 5 years!
Almost!
I still think its a great phone.  Hopefully won't have too many problems using the SGN as a modem.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Ok, I could really use some help. I had the old Sero 500 plan which I upgraded to sero premium for addition $10/mo in order to get a smartphone. I currently have the samsung transform (absolutely terrible phone). I don't want a 4g phone or Iphone, as this would incur and additional $10/mo onto my plan, and I don't really need 4g. I therefore feel stupid paying $240 for the length of my contract just so I can get a better phone. I can get the 3g only androids and blackberrys. What would you suggest? I'm looking into the LG Marquee and Kyocera Milano. The brand new Motorola ADMIRAL is an interesting prospect as well. I am out of contract and willing to sign another 2 years. Sero telesales claims you can only upgrade your device through them. I have read on several different forums online that some people DID upgrade via bestbuy/wirefly.com even while on the sero plan. The prices on wirefly are significantly better then Sero Telesales offered. What would you suggest I do? Anyone managed to get an   upgrade via wirefly?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Ok, I could really use some help. I had the old Sero 500 plan which I upgraded to sero premium for addition $10/mo in order to get a smartphone. I currently have the samsung transform (absolutely terrible phone). I don't want a 4g phone or Iphone, as this would incur and additional $10/mo onto my plan, and I don't really need 4g. I therefore feel stupid paying $240 for the length of my contract just so I can get a better phone. I can get the 3g only androids and blackberrys. What would you suggest? I'm looking into the LG Marquee and Kyocera Milano. The brand new Motorola ADMIRAL is an interesting prospect as well. I am out of contract and willing to sign another 2 years. Sero telesales claims you can only upgrade your device through them. I have read on several different forums online that some people DID upgrade via bestbuy/wirefly.com even while on the sero plan. The prices on wirefly are significantly better then Sero Telesales offered. What would you suggest I do? Anyone managed to get an   upgrade via wirefly?

Are you sure they don't charge you $10 extra for any smartphone? ( I don't know how the sero plans work exactly)
Anyways.. I'd recommend the Optimus S or if you want spend some $ get the LG Marquee - I'd skip the admiral - tiny screen and I doubt the resolution is anything to talk about.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save the $480+tax over the contract, take a free phone, flip it for $150, and get a 2nd gen. Centro.
You'll have over $500 in your pocket and a smartphone that had tons of free apps and works as a free modem.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
Save the $480+tax over the contract, take a free phone, flip it for $150, and get a 2nd gen. Centro.
You'll have over $500 in your pocket and a smartphone that had tons of free apps and works as a free modem.
How am I saving the $480(sorry I'm just a bit lost in translation!)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How am I saving the $480(sorry I'm just a bit lost in translation!)
$30/month versus $50/month.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
$30/month versus $50/month.
I'm already on the $40 a month sero premium which allows smartphones. I was originally told (multiple times in fact!) that if I wanted at any time I would be able to switch back to the standard $30/month Sero plan and the only things that would change on my phone is no smartphones allowed, no more any mobile anytime, and no more navigation. When I called telesales today, they agent told me they were mistaken and proceeded to check notes on my account(I asked them to write up notes telling me I could always downgrade) and he tells me nothing is written there! I therefore think I'm stuck on the $40 month plan... not complaining as the any mobile anytime makes it worth it... I never use more then 100 mins now! But I DON'T want to pay $50/month just for the right to an iphone or 4g... I want to get a wirefly upgrade as prices are better. Anyone had any luck getting a new device that way?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This guy can get you back onto the $30 SERO plan if CS refuses, just send him an email: Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I want to get a wirefly upgrade as prices are better. Anyone had any luck getting a new device that way?

You're risking your plan getting a new phone through Wirefly.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
You're risking your plan getting a new phone through Wirefly.
But then some people say it's not an issue and goes through. Wondering if anyone has some firsthand experience.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
But then some people say it's not an issue and goes through. Wondering if anyone has some firsthand experience.

You're definitely risking it, the only question is what the odds are.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
Have you heard of any success stories? Methods?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Current phone > centro (and I love it), future phone.. > whatever Android will be up to whe Sprint shuts me down :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Current phone > centro (and I love it), future phone.. > whatever Android will be up to whe Sprint shuts me down :)
Indeed had Sprint not shut me down I'd probably be using Centros for another 5 years.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
Indeed had Sprint not shut me down I'd probably be using Centros for another 5 years.
I myself had centro/treos for over 2 years. A good solid phone but it was VERY outdated when I gave it up. It has some serious limitations. I use my google voice number as my mobile number, and the google voice app is very handy. All the handy apps available on android makes it worth $10/month in its own right. True the centro was a solid phone, but it simply can't keep pace with what I can do now. From what I understand, pda net can run fine on android as well, thereby enabling it as a modem as well.