Author Topic: What cell phone are you currently using? And what are you upgrading to next?  (Read 122906 times)

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I myself had centro/treos for over 2 years. A good solid phone but it was VERY outdated when I gave it up. It has some serious limitations. I use my google voice number as my mobile number, and the google voice app is very handy. All the handy apps available on android makes it worth $10/month in its own right. True the centro was a solid phone, but it simply can't keep pace with what I can do now. From what I understand, pda net can run fine on android as well, thereby enabling it as a modem as well.
For people on legacy family plans it can be a difference of hundreds of dollars a month.
For SERO folk the 30/40/50 options are nice though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
I hope Sprint doesn't cut us out of Sero, the way they cut you out Dan!

Offline u600213

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Samsung Infuse 4G AT&T since June 2011. I have very bad eyesight and it has a 4.5 inch screen. I installed large fonts on it and it is great. I am on AT&T because of simultaneous voice and data which allows me to tether to notebook and make/receive calls while tethered and because of employer's discount from AT&T. I have unlocked the Samsung Infuse and used it successfully with 3UK , Vodafone Germany, and Orange France pre-paid sim cards on recent trips abroad.

My next upgrade will not happen for a couple years by which time I hope AT&T has real 4G and battery life is better but if I was buying one in the near future it would be an HTC Sensation XL mainly for the 4.7 inch screen
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/10/06/htc-sensation-xl-official-packs-android-2-3-and-a-4-7-inch-display/

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Samsung Infuse 4G AT&T since June 2011. I have very bad eyesight and it has a 4.5 inch screen. I installed large fonts on it and it is great. I am on AT&T because of simultaneous voice and data which allows me to tether to notebook and make/receive calls while tethered and because of employer's discount from AT&T. I have unlocked the Samsung Infuse and used it successfully with 3UK , Vodafone Germany, and Orange France pre-paid sim cards on recent trips abroad.

My next upgrade will not happen for a couple years by which time I hope AT&T has real 4G and battery life is better but if I was buying one in the near future it would be an HTC Sensation XL mainly for the 4.7 inch screen
http://www.phonedog.com/2011/10/06/htc-sensation-xl-official-packs-android-2-3-and-a-4-7-inch-display/

Great post! Welcome aboard DDF!

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
Just came across this.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20124675-251/samsung-transform-ultra-headed-to-sprint/?tag=txt;title
I currently have the transform which is terrible, but it looks like it's getting a decent boost under the hood with the "Ultra" release. I would go for the marquee but I really really like a physical keyboard!

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I currently use the Samsung Galaxy S (in the UK). Coming from a Blackberry (9630), I still don't feel comfortable with it. Don't get me wrong, the UI, resolution and apps are amazing, but for typing long emails etc., nothing beats the BB. I've tried Swype for a while, and different types of (virtual) keyboards, but nothing comes close to the comfort of typing on a BB. Another big plus on the BB is the ease in selecting text, which the droid doesn't have. And let's not forget BBM... So, I'm seriously deliberating what my next phone should be. Thoughts?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
I currently use the Samsung Galaxy S (in the UK). Coming from a Blackberry (9630), I still don't feel comfortable with it. Don't get me wrong, the UI, resolution and apps are amazing, but for typing long emails etc., nothing beats the BB. I've tried Swype for a while, and different types of (virtual) keyboards, but nothing comes close to the comfort of typing on a BB. Another big plus on the BB is the ease in selecting text, which the droid doesn't have. And let's not forget BBM... So, I'm seriously deliberating what my next phone should be. Thoughts?

While I don't love the Blackberry OS at all and am not a fan of Blackberry's in general they definitely work for some people.  You have to pick your priorities. You could try finding an android phone that has a keyboard but even that might not work for you as well as a Blackberry.  A lot of people are liking the new Blackberry 9930- might want to try that out.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
I loved my old blackberry's keyboard but the only thing my junky samsung transform does have, is an even better keyboard. I log a pretty decent amount of texts(aprx. 1500/mo) and I rely heavily on the keyboard... I like to type without looking that the keyboard. If it weren't for my love of physical keyboards I would love the LG Marquee. I simply don't think any on screen keyboard, no matter how good, can rival a physical one.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Anyone here using the Sprint Galaxy S2 (Epic touch?)

What kind of battery life are you getting?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Currently Sprint Palm Centro and BB Bold.

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I simply don't think any on screen keyboard, no matter how good, can rival a physical one.
+1000

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
About reselling the bbm/pin system: Especially now, after even people like me that were all the way for BB, have gotten a cold shower, and maybe looking to change, ie BB is losing ground, it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they would sell the system, (in other words, allow others to use their system), and sell each pin for say $10. Android, or more specifically the brands making the phones, will buy them by the 10MM's.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
About reselling the bbm/pin system: Especially now, after even people like me that were all the way for BB, have gotten a cold shower, and maybe looking to change, ie BB is losing ground, it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they would sell the system, (in other words, allow others to use their system), and sell each pin for say $10. Android, or more specifically the brands making the phones, will buy them by the 10MM's.

What about revenue from recurring charges for the BBM service? Revenue from device sales? And the fact that the Android devices with a pin simply won't be as secure/locked-down (for BES admins) as BBs own devices?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
IF they can make a secure BES application for Android/iOS, it will probably be worth more than a blackberry, since the companies need phones that their employees want.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Microsoft Exchange/Activesync is just as secure as BES(encryption wise). the problem is that iOS/Android are rootable which allows you to remove/ignore policies set by the companies.

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
how often does it happen that a store employee will tell you to buy it, try it, and then return it?!

i was in best buy the other day to get virgin mobile just to try it out for a month and see how sprint service works in my house - to see if the family should move to sprint - because at&t is horrendous in my house.
anyways the employee tells me if u want u can buy the android triumph and then come back in - in 29 days and return it.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
how often does it happen that a store employee will tell you to buy it, try it, and then return it?!

i was in best buy the other day to get virgin mobile just to try it out for a month and see how sprint service works in my house - to see if the family should move to sprint - because at&t is horrendous in my house.
anyways the employee tells me if u want u can buy the android triumph and then come back in - in 29 days and return it.

Of course he told you that. If you don't end up coming back, he gets a commission.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael